Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm new here so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong area! I am having gastric bypass surgery in a few days. I'm in the process of planning a cruise for this summer (about 3-4 months after surgery). I have concerns and am not sure if taking a cruise so close to surgery is a good idea. Does anyone have experience with traveling/cruising 3-4 months after surgery? How was your eating by then? Were there any activities that you were limited with at this point in recovery?

Also, I haven't flown on an airplane in a few years due to my size (5'6 and 397 lbs). Any input on how much I can expect to lose 3-4 months post surgery? Will the airplane situation be okay? I know a lot of my questions are dependent on the specific person, but any thoughts/suggestions/previous experience would be greatly appreciated!

I'm new here so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong area! I am having gastric bypass surgery in a few days. I'm in the process of planning a cruise for this summer (about 3-4 months after surgery). I have concerns and am not sure if taking a cruise so close to surgery is a good idea. Does anyone have experience with traveling/cruising 3-4 months after surgery? How was your eating by then? Were there any activities that you were limited with at this point in recovery?
Also, I haven't flown on an airplane in a few years due to my size (5'6 and 397 lbs). Any input on how much I can expect to lose 3-4 months post surgery? Will the airplane situation be okay? I know a lot of my questions are dependent on the specific person, but any thoughts/suggestions/previous experience would be greatly appreciated!

At three months post rny I had lost almost 40 pounds. Four months more than 50.

I started lower (244). Down 70 since surgery now (5 months).

I didn't cruise but I did travel. I just took backup Protein (shakes) just in case. I was more than ready by then.

Good luck!

I took a 2-week bucket list trip to Peru with my mother (her bucket list, not mine) just 3.5 months after RNY. I was also nervous but everything turned out great. I was really feeling the boost to my energy from shedding early weight, and I didn't have any trouble with the unfamiliar and exotic diet I was consuming. I brought a lot of Protein Bars just in case, and recommend having as much emergency / backup / "just in case" food as possible, just to be on the safe side. You'll have a great time!

Oh, and as for your question about how much weight you'll have lost by then... it is SO variable from person to person that it's hard to tell. That was a big concern for me too, and I obsessed about it like a crazy person before I left. I am 5'4" and weighed 305 pre-surgery. By the time I went to Peru I'd lost about 70 pounds. I seem to recall that was faster than my doc expected, but I was MOTIVATED. Your flight experience could still be uncomfortable but not undoable. As you board, ask the flight attendants for a seat belt extension and they should be able to get it to you discretely. I traveled a lot at 300+ and it wasn't ever my favorite thing but I survived. You will too, and there are better days ahead!