Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Severe Pain in Abdomen, Ribs, and Thoracic

First of all, I would like to apologize. This is my very first posting. As you will read below, I have read numerous postings on this and other bariatric blogs trying to see if ANYONE is experiencing what I am going through since my surgery.

In July 2014 I went through a Gastric Sleeve Bypass (in the US – (Hospital listed is not accurate)) for weight loss reduction surgery. I was around 370lbs and now I and hover around 230 lbs. Off all high blood pressure and cholesterol medication. That’s the good news. Now for the very bad news.

Immediately after the surgery, and over the last 2.5 years I have been experiencing severe pain in my abdominal, thoracic, and left lower ribs beyond anything imaginable. I have been unable to eat anything without taking pain medication which will only reduce the immense pain. When I say pain...the scale from 1 to 10 is 7-8 off medication and 3-4 on medication.

To make things worse, I have drink alcohol (not beer) from morning (wake up) to nighttime (sleep) to enhance the pain medication because it’s not enough to reduce the amount of pain I’m currently in to have any quality of life. What’s amazing, I don’t feel intoxicated. Now, to make everyone feel safe out there, I don’t ever drive. I work from home and if I go anywhere my spouse is ALWAYS driving.

With the “stigmatisms” of all the opioids in the news and current abuses, it’s embarrassing to tell the physician it’s not working as good as it used to (after 2.5 years) or that I need more, so I drink. Talk about depressing…..

Over the last 2.5 years (and a 140lbs lighter) I have sought guidance from the mayo Clinic (Rochester) and the MRI and CAT scans found mesenteric hernia, Pain Management (Local), and even returned back to the original bariatric surgeon who supervised the sleeve operation. I’ve been enrolled with pain medication for the last 2.5 years had several injections from Pain Management to include a “Celiac Plexus Block” (burn nerves with denatured alcohol) which provided temporary (30 days) relief.

The Bariatric Surgeon completed another “exploratory surgery” in Feb 2017 and removed some extensive scar tissue but didn't think the hernia was an issue. After the surgery I seemed to be fine and my pain reduced significantly, and was able to eat without any pain. But within 45 days I am unable to eat anything. The pain has returned to my abdomen, ribs, and thoracic spine.

All of this has taken a very extreme toll financially (about $40K out the window), emotionally, physically, and most of all on my very great supportive family. I have read through THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of bariatric blogs to see if anyone has experienced anything like I’ve experienced with my surgery. I’ve found nothing. I’ve been to the very best physicians in the country and nobody has seen anything like what I’ve experienced. This really sucks.

I have another appointment next week and the surgeon thinks he can “block” the upper left port nerves in the abdomen with “denatured alcohol.” I guess it’s worth a shot. I’m almost out of options, and it’s very hard to keep going on. I'm barely hanging on.

I'm really sorry to hear about the issues you are having. I wish I had some advice to offer.

This is the busiest WLS site so if someone is going to respond, it will be here.

Good luck

I can't begin to imagine the pain you're going through, you're a very strong person. I hope someone else chimes in with a similar experience. I pray that this next procedure works!

Sorry to hear you are having such a terrible time of it. Sounds like something similar to reflex sympathetic dystrophy. It usually happens in limbs- arms, legs after an injury or a surgery. Maybe it can occur in other parts of the body. If this block doesn't help- maybe ask if a nerve stimulator could provide some relief. They are implantable- can have a trial implant to see if it would work.

Hi Laura,

My surgery was 4/2/2014. I lost 92 pounds and gained 14 back. I'm working on getting rid of the 14 that I gained.

I've experienced stomach pain where I bend over in pain. I had a upper GI and found out that my stomach is inflamed. My doctor said it's because I'm really not changing my eating according to the surgery and he is correct however I already did the damage and now I take medicine to relieve the pain. I was a smoker I quit because he said that is a real big factor, also a pop drinker. So now I'm concentrating on better eating and it's not easy. (I'm Italian) I thought i can still eat the same just not as much. Wrong.

They thought I had a bleeding ulcer and I don't but if I don't change I will and because of the surgery it will not be pretty if I end up with one.

I wish you well with your next procedure hope it works . I'll be looking for your post on how it turned out.