Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't drink Protein, HELP!

I'm glad I'm not the only person this happened to! I used to drink one for Breakfast every morning before surgery and now I can't even stand the smell of them.

WOW. I thought it was just me. I'm 14 days out and can no longer stand them. I drank them daily in pre-op.

Not sure if you have Kroger by you but they have this CARBMASTER MILK! chocolate, Plain and vanilla,

8 onz has 11 grams of Protein and 60 Calories. I know you need more but you could maybe mix Protein Powder with it. A Christmas I used it with Egg Beaters to make Eggnog. I told a friend of mine who's daughter has medical issues she was talking how her girl needed more protein but wouldn't drink ensure etc. I told her and she loves it. Tastes like regular chocolate milk.

I mentioned it to my Dr he said it was find but as space is at a premium perhaps mix some additional unflavored protein powder with it.

I currently have a band and am having a sleeve revision in May.

On 2017-03-23 at 8:33 PM, Tessa1988 said:

I am 6 days post-op and I am struggling BIG TIME. My doc wants me getting 60g of Protein every day and a total of 64oz of liquid every day. I've slowly been better with Water, Gatorade, but still no where near the 64oz. My main concern though is Protein. Any type of Protein Drink I can't keep down (i throw it up). I've tried different kinds of premade shakes, Isopure ready to drink, protein Water. One sip of any of those and I feel SO sick. The only thing I've found that I keep down that contains protein is a small amount of skim milk or kefir.

What can i do?!?!

What about a Greek yogurt, watered down (with water)put a little cinnamon in it . That's what I do as well as the shakes (taste much better)

10 hours ago, naturallyzee said:

WOW. I thought it was just me. I'm 14 days out and can no longer stand them. I drank them daily in pre-op.

Taste changes happen in a lot of people. I used the Unjury Protein powder before surgery and loved it. Post-op I hated it.

My doc's office sells Healthwise products. The broth/cream Soups are decent tasting and have 15g of protein per serving. I only used them through the pre/post phases. They're a bit pricey but might help get through the initial period.

https://www.healthwisenri.com/shop/

I was unable to tolerate most shakes after surgery. Directly after I used GNC Lean 25, they have lots of flavors and they are thinner than an average Protein Shake.

Now I switched to Lift Protein by Atkins and drink two of them a day. 20 grams of protein and they drink more like a Water or juice than a shake.

I kind of had the same problem. I was able to drink the vanilla premiere Protein shake. Make sure it's very cold but not iced. The chocolate was to flavored and sweet the other flavors gave me the runs.

I had the same problem, I just switched the type of milk. I was using almond milk and switched to soy milk and that solved the shake problem for me.
Also, to change it up a bit, I also drink trusource Protein Water, which has 20g of protein in a bottle. It kinda reminds me of drinking Tang when I was a kid.

Post surgery I cannot tolerate Premier shakes. nectar whey Protein have been a life saver. They come in a variety of flavors. Even coffee flavors. They taste more like juice than a shake. 7 weeks out.

Sent from my Z981 using BariatricPal mobile app

One week out same problem for first four days I can now sip the bariatric Soups and hot chocolate very slowly and keep them down 15gm Protein each 6-8 not the most flavorful but the sweet flavors are too nauseating

I had the hardest time drinking Protein Shakes after surgery, tried fairlife milk and was able to tolerate it, used it to make puddings and Soups. Now 3 weeks out and can finally get one premier shake in. Just keep trying. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BariatricPal mobile app

Most people love the Premuir Protein drinks. I had to do them 2 weeks before my RNY and then 4 weeks after. The problem I had was I had the "Back door trots" the whole time I used them. When I was almost done with my 4 weeks my PA said, Well you have become Lactose Intoerant!! Thank you so much. I could hardly go outside of my house!!! So sad but so true. I found a protein that I couyld tolerate afterwards, It is MYLOPLEX RICH DARK chocolate. But now I have my GENEPRO unflavored protein in my Espresso everyday!! Love it. It has 30grams of protein in 1 TABLESPOON. There are some that don't beleive it has 30grams of protein, but I haven't seen the info.

Hi everyone. New to this app. I'm not looking into bariatric surgery as I just need to drop about 30lbs. I do want to be supportive and receive support along the way. I can't do Protein Shakes, and don't drink milk at all. Any advise is helpful.