Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I wish I could hear from some long-term Sleevers about their long-term stories. Obesity is an incurable condition still, and this surgery thankfully puts us into remission, but what happens when it rears its ugly head again? What do you do? How many folks have true long-term remission and what contributes to that success?

I have a friend who is 5 years out and still at goal weight which is on the lower end of her healthy weight. I am only 8 months out myself so I would like to hear more from old timers who have been successful also

You may want to go to YouTube, I found someone who was 8 years out and she talked about her struggles, think she gained maby 5-10 pds o Ed an 8 year period! Not sure of her name, sorry.

I am over 5 years out. I guess you have to define success. My goal when I had the surgery was to be able to do the things I wanted to do in life. I didn't exactly reach that goal for other things but it wasn't a total loss. I've learned a lot about what you want in a surgeon and support groups. I've learned just how rotten people are, and how some are good.

There is more to life than losing weight. Your life gets affected by more than the weight loss. We need to talk not only in terms of weight loss but of life.

I am also 5 years post op. This has totally been a roll coaster, but worth the ride. When I first started surgery, I was 275lbs. In a year I was down to 153lbs. Now I am at 170lbs, and I am pretty content even though I know that I could shed down to the 160s if I tracked my food better. My goal at surgery was 180, but I think I felt my best at 160 so I am working to shed 10lbs this month. I think the surgery is worth it IF you are committed to the lifestyle change. I work out 5 days a week, no excuses. I do splurge with carbs here and there, but overall, my portions are about the same. I think the key to success is having a support group(this website), and following the instructions of your surgeon. You will stray, you will have ups and downs with your weight, but its your ability to make it a lifestyle change that will help you keep your weight in control. Remember, surgery does not cure "head hunger" or your mental cravings. Those will be your battles to fight, and they usually occur more frequently as the years progress after your first year of surgery .

Edited by Delta_35

I am almost 5 years out from surgery. I lost around 155 pounds and kept it off for about 3.5 years. But in the past 1.5 years, I have suffered from depression and started drinking alcohol excessively ( I typically would have ate food excessively in the past). In the past I could have several drinks and be fine; however post surgery the side effects were much more severe (depression, a feeling of real dependency, blacking out suddenly with no recollection of where the cutoff point would be i.e. 2 drinks now was just as strong as drinking 5) The alcohol goes so quickly into your system that it is a real danger if not properly monitored. Although my eating habits didn't change, without daily exercise and with the added calories of excessive alcohol consumption, I regained around 60 pounds. In addition to the weight gain I have struggled with the affects of alcohol dependency, which I never had experienced before. As VSG patients we were all cautioned on drinking and how it affects us differently after surgery. I didn't really take heed to those warnings until it had become a problem for me. I am working on it daily now and also am struggling to lose the weight all over again, which feels pretty much like as difficult as it had been prior to surgery. I think this is not talked about enough and I'm sure I am not the only VSG patient who has experienced this. As a community being open with one another, and as individual seeking out help earlier, I probably wouldn't be struggling with these 60 pounds now. Anyone who's been through it should reach out sooner than later. Not only have I suffered from this issue, I have had to deal with the fact that I messed up my own progress and success and now have to deal with the ramifications of starting all over again so to speak. This I can say for certain, staying in a support group and dealing with your issues is imperative to continued success in this journey. I'm not sure if I'll loose all of the 60 I've regained again, but I am willing to fight the battle to do this all over again and to warn others of how dangerous alcohol consumption is for us post surgery!

32 minutes ago, cmbtexas said:

I am almost 5 years out from surgery. I lost around 155 pounds and kept it off for about 3.5 years. But in the past 1.5 years, I have suffered from depression and started drinking alcohol excessively ( I typically would have ate food excessively in the past). In the past I could have several drinks and be fine; however post surgery the side effects were much more severe (depression, a feeling of real dependency, blacking out suddenly with no recollection of where the cutoff point would be i.e. 2 drinks now was just as strong as drinking 5) The alcohol goes so quickly into your system that it is a real danger if not properly monitored. Although my eating habits didn't change, without daily exercise and with the added calories of excessive alcohol consumption, I regained around 60 pounds. In addition to the weight gain I have struggled with the affects of alcohol dependency, which I never had experienced before. As VSG patients we were all cautioned on drinking and how it affects us differently after surgery. I didn't really take heed to those warnings until it had become a problem for me. I am working on it daily now and also am struggling to lose the weight all over again, which feels pretty much like as difficult as it had been prior to surgery. I think this is not talked about enough and I'm sure I am not the only VSG patient who has experienced this. As a community being open with one another, and as individual seeking out help earlier, I probably wouldn't be struggling with these 60 pounds now. Anyone who's been through it should reach out sooner than later. Not only have I suffered from this issue, I have had to deal with the fact that I messed up my own progress and success and now have to deal with the ramifications of starting all over again so to speak. This I can say for certain, staying in a support group and dealing with your issues is imperative to continued success in this journey. I'm not sure if I'll loose all of the 60 I've regained again, but I am willing to fight the battle to do this all over again and to warn others of how dangerous alcohol consumption is for us post surgery!

Thanks for sharing your story! I totally agree, the effects of alcohol is not discussed enough. This past year I noticed a difference with my alcohol assumption. It had increased and the effects were higher. I have now cutback on drinking wine, out of the thought that it could become an addiction. Very scary feeling, but deep down I know this has to do with the surgery. Now I am VERY mindful of what I drink, and have learned my limit. Unfortunately it is what it is, I love wine, but its not worth risking my happiness and my wellbeing, such as gaining back a large amount of the weight or blacking out.

Thank you, CMB Texas, for your story. I pray you will be successful resetting your resolve and getting help for your addiction. As a Mormon I do not think alcohol would be a replacement addiction i would have a problem with, but I can see shopping getting too big, and that could hurt my marriage. Thank you for the warning and power to you in your struggle.