Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tip:

I was using this until I read on this site that NUTs don't advise it. That it's not possible to have 30g of Protein in 1 tbl as they suggest. I spoke to my nutritionist and she said same thing to stay away.

Thanks Nancy

Agreed. My nutritionist said stay away from it as well.

I use Unjury or Isopure.

I've been skeptical of this brand. Someone in a thread a long time ago, like years, actually posted some very detailed info about it. That made a lot of sense. I'd have to find it.

I couldn't find the one from years back but this one is pretty good info about GENEPRO.

I'd never heard of them prior to joining this site. Went to look them up and one of the first results was "Genepro lawsuit"...lol. At least one company is suing them (to be fair other manufacturers have gotten in trouble for misleading info):

https://www.law360.com/articles/865678/protein-powder-maker-accuses-rival-of-false-advertising

Missouri Eastern District Court
Case No. 1:16-cv-00274
SI03, Inc. v. Musclegen Research, Inc.

You can read entire Lawsuit in the attached PDF.

gov.uscourts.moed.150119.1.0.pdf

Question for OP, did your doctor say there was anything harmful with using GENEPRO or just the discrepancy with the Protein amount? I have been using it post op and never heard of it before this site. I might not buy it again but if you or anyone has heard it is dangerous I might be more inclined to stop using now. My team hasn't heard of it and just told me the generic "watch your carbs with protein" answer.

50 minutes ago, Christina.Rose said:

Question for OP, did your doctor say there was anything harmful with using GENEPRO or just the discrepancy with the Protein amount?

From everything I read it has nothing to do with the safety of the product. It's just misleading information on the label.

My NUT recommended GENEPRO and I think its just fine. Its plain unflavored Protein Powder without all the flavorings and additives in the other flavored brands. Which could lead to the smaller serving size delivering the same Protein. Im not skeptical at all and there are no real scientific facts disproving their claim.

Edited by JerseyJules

My Nut recommended GENEPRO, I couldn't tolerate any of the other Protein powders, or premade shakes . Every sip was a struggle. She recommended this powder and it made a huge difference for me. It gave me the little boost to my regular food intake. It didn't have the horrible after taste the others did. Now that I am 3 months post op, she expects me to get my protein thru food, when I can't meet 65 -85 grams p/day, I throw a scoop in a shake.
I'm 3 months post op down 55 pounds. Wish everyone much success.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thanks everyone! The opinions on GENEPRO are so polarized its interesting. I think I will use it, assume its 20g instead of 30g and when I am allowed to eat meat, be grateful for not being stuck drinking any shakes!

I actually was told about this from my surgeon. I just purchased it to get my self ready for my post-op eating. Really haven't used it much now as I'm currently on my pre-op liquid diet but I did try it in some Gatorade the other day. It mixed well and didn't change the taste or consistency.

I almost bought it the other day. Then I remembered reading about a lawsuit. I'll have to research it some more.

On 3/24/2017 at 9:50 PM, JerseyJules said:

My NUT recommended GENEPRO and I think its just fine. Its plain unflavored Protein powder without all the flavorings and additives in the other flavored brands. Which could lead to the smaller serving size delivering the same Protein. Im not skeptical at all and there are no real scientific facts disproving their claim.

It's just basic math. If you look at some of the articles it shows how it's just not possible to have that much in a tablespoon serving size (that and the grams/calories don't add up correctly). Nobody is saying people can't use it or it's dangerous. To me it's like buying a car and being told it's going to get 35 mpg and turns out it's only getting 20 mpg. I'd be kinda pissed about that. Doesn't mean the car itself is bad, it just doesn't deliver as promised.

I just cannot understand why this discussion won't die. The ingredients specifically say it is made from whey Protein. I don't care what "magic" they allegedly perform, it is impossible for there to be 30 grams of "equivalent" protein in a tablespoon serving and only 98 calories.

The thing that is so hard to understand is that there are so many real protein supplements that there is no question or debate on the efficacy of the product. The only thing that GENEPRO has going for it that is not up for debate is how well it dissolves in liquid. That is not enough to warrant wasting money on it.