Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Observation of before and after photos

I had a fun time llooking at everyone's amazing progress. I did notice that many people in their after photos who might still be considered medically overweight or even obese based on the weight they posted next to their pictures looked damn good and yes accounting for height etc and all that! I mean many definitely did not look anywhere near the weight they were. They looked much smaller but yet the scale would beg to differ. Have you noticed the same thing? Is this common with weight loss surgery in particular? I was baffled in some cases. I hope I have the same experience. I would love to look 160-170 at 200 lbs or example.

I've noticed this too. Body composition changes differently with surgery than with typical weight loss methods that's for sure!

I have noticed the same thing as well. I look at the before pictures and then the after pictures and I am like there is no way that person is 185 lbs (they have to be at least 125 lbs - 135 lbs). I think some of the weight includes muscle. A lot of them do weight lifting to tone up and muscle does weight more than fat. I think that everyone's fear of lose skin, pushes us to lift weights.

Also, @907city2farmgrl is right that the surgery changes our body composition.

Some carry the weight in certain places too. My weight has settled around my mid section as if I'm wearing an inner tube. I use a compression shirt and dark colored button down short to hide is. My shoulders and upper chest though are about the size of someone who weighs less than my actual weight.

I also notice how great people look at a higher weight than I would guess.
I'm goon think Wls resets the body weight and it is hard to change, so many of us go with it... as opposed to bmi charts or dr goals
And we look healthy and happy!! That is the best reward. And truly.... keeping it off is nirvana.
(12/06 lapband)

I will be one of those cases, higher weight but look smaller. I like to lift weights. Even now I've got muscle (thanks Dad!). So I'd be very surprised if my body composition changes from what it used to be. My goal weight is 145, but if I continue to lift (once my injury is healed) I could probably get away with being 160ish even, provided it's muscle. But even shedding 50 lbs off of my 253 lb body will make a big difference. Can't wait 😊

I have noticed the same and agree with all the points listed above. I also feel like it's a bit of optics. First all, most people look so unhappy in their before shots and are glowing in their after shots. Even some people's after shots who weigh more than people's before shots just look so happy and healthy:-). Secondly, I think for a good after shot you are putting on an outfit that makes you feel fabulous. You put it on and often pose your body in the most flattering way one knows how to capture the after.

I also can not wait for my after shots!! :-)

@RJrocks hmmm you are right. The after pictures are of everyone really happy. Maybe it is also the aura that the person is giving off? When your happy and at peace with yourself, the auro energy with give off will show. It is true that the after pictures show a everyone dress to impress. Nothing is wrong with that. Show yourself girl!!! lol

When I got married I dieted my way to 155 and was a size 14 (I am 5 5). After wls when I hit 155 I was a size 10. At 145 I'm an 8. If I get to 135 I'm guessing I would be a 6, whereas if I hadn't had wls I think at the same weights I would be bigger sizes.

When I got married I dieted my way to 155 and was a size 14 (I am 5 5). After wls when I hit 155 I was a size 10. At 145 I'm an 8. If I get to 135 I'm guessing I would be a 6, whereas if I hadn't had wls I think at the same weights I would be bigger sizes.

It could also be that sizes have changed over the years.

Sent from my SM-N910T using BariatricPal mobile app

On 3/22/2017 at 10:41 PM, kinipela24 said:

I had a fun time llooking at everyone's amazing progress. I did notice that many people in their after photos who might still be considered medically overweight or even obese based on the weight they posted next to their pictures looked damn good and yes accounting for height etc and all that! I mean many definitely did not look anywhere near the weight they were. They looked much smaller but yet the scale would beg to differ. Have you noticed the same thing? Is this common with weight loss surgery in particular? I was baffled in some cases. I hope I have the same experience. I would love to look 160-170 at 200 lbs or example.

I've learned from personal experience that some people are denser than others! For example, I'm 265. I have more or less the same body type as my BFF, who is about 210. When I lost 40lbs, nothing changed on me. My double chin was a little less prominent but otherwise, my body looked the same. My logic was that I was fluffier. It all was still there but weighed a bit less.

Muscle is denser than fat, so if you replace that fat with lean muscle mass, you will look thinner t hough you could well weight the same or even more. I think that's what happens with a lot of people.

I'm astounded by the change in my face. I have a lot of fat around my cheeks and jowls, so I have no idea what my face shape actually is. I think I might be developing dimples like my dad! Who knew? (I also look happy. Prior to surgery, the fat in my cheeks gave a downward appearance to my mouth. That's gone since my cheeks have thinned out a lot.)