Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sip Sip Sip ... Not Me !!

Sometimes I feel like my gastric sleeve isn't working. Why am I able to take in large amounts of Water or other fluids like Diet juice/Broth with no issues ?? Did I stretch out my sleeve already ? Did the surgeon do It correctly ? Why haven't I experienced have things most sleevers experience like nausea or vomiting

How far are you out from your surgery?

I had surgery last Thursday and I'm able to drink quite a bit. If I do t sip, I get a lot of gas and burp a lot.

I'm no expert at ALL. Take anything I say with a grain of rice. All I can think to say is don't try to "test" your tool. I'm saying this out loud for me as well. I feel like if I were in your situation I'd try testing to see just how much I could eat or something. That would surely lead me back to the dark side lol

I learned that I can take two sips in one of that makes sense! I know when I go to far because my little friend causes me great discomfort

23 minutes ago, ayanna_vsg said:

Why haven't I experienced have things most sleevers experience like nausea or vomiting

Probably because you had a very good surgeon.

I never had nausea or vomiting either.

liquids flow through the pyloric valve and into the intestines rather easily, whereas solids take a lot longer (this is why the do not drink 30 minutes before eating rule is important as Water will mix with solids and pass into the intestines quicker).

All of that said, there will come a day soon when you try something and it hits like a load of bricks. I would not test the sleeve out strenuously as it will only delay recovery.

28 minutes ago, ayanna_vsg said:

Sometimes I feel like my gastric sleeve isn't working. Why am I able to take in large amounts of Water or other fluids like Diet juice/Broth with no issues ?? Did I stretch out my sleeve already ? Did the surgeon do It correctly ? Why haven't I experienced have things most sleevers experience like nausea or vomiting

When you say "large amounts", what are you talking about? Are you gulping Water like we could pre-op? At barely a week post-op, the nerves in your stomach aren't all sensing things the way they normally would, which is why most of us are given instructions to take in limited amounts of fluids at a time...you can't rely on your normal 'full' feeling to tell you to stop.
I'd also say that it's not true that "most" people vomit in the early period after VSG surgery. I'm 9 months out and I've vomited twice, both times after I was back on solid foods. Many of my support group members haven't vomited at all, even years out.
Be careful pushing your limits so early...it would be very unlikely that your surgeon could or would do the procedure incorrectly, so you've had a significant portion of your stomach removed and have a long, fresh line of staples the length of your stomach. Be good to your body :)

When you say "large amounts", what are you talking about? Are you gulping Water like we could pre-op? At barely a week post-op, the nerves in your stomach aren't all sensing things the way they normally would, which is why most of us are given instructions to take in limited amounts of fluids at a time...you can't rely on your normal 'full' feeling to tell you to stop.
I'd also say that it's not true that "most" people vomit in the early period after VSG surgery. I'm 9 months out and I've vomited twice, both times after I was back on solid foods. Many of my support group members haven't vomited at all, even years out.
Be careful pushing your limits so early...it would be very unlikely that your surgeon could or would do the procedure incorrectly, so you've had a significant portion of your stomach removed and have a long, fresh line of staples the length of your stomach. Be good to your body

I'm definitely not pushing the limits intentionally, but unconsciously I happen to drink regular and it doesn't bother me that's what I meant.

I'm 6 weeks post-op & was able to gulp my Water in my 5th week. From reading these boards & following other WLS patients, everyone experiences their weight loss differently. A few of us can still gulp while it makes others sick.

Personally, it's the opposite for me. Sipping makes me sick.

Height: 5'0"
Weight for WLS consultation: 216 lbs.
Surgery date: 2/13/17
Goal: -71 lbs for healthy BMI (about 145 lbs).
Current weight: 180.8
My profile picture is not me. It's my "FITspiration" body.

I was taking my allergy meds one night about 2 weeks after my surgery and I wasn't thinking....tossed them in my mouth and threw down about 12 ounces of Water in a few big gulps. I immediately realized what I'd done, but oh...the pain. It was terrible, I felt like I was having a heart attack! It was all esophageal spasms, though, not any pain from my stomach itself. Still terrifying!

I did not have any issues from day 1.
I was able to drink everything on my tray in hospital.
I did not vomit at all.
I rather get my liquids in and Protein than to wand up in the ER
From dehydration.
If you are sipping more than stomach can hold at one time,
Your stomach will let you know.

Before I was discharged, I did a barium swallow test and was able to watch the barium move down my esophagus, into my stomach, and almost immediately out into my small intestine. The radiologist commented on the quick emptying time. Maybe I (and you) have less swelling/inflammation than others? Who knows?

I am able to get in lots of fluids without trouble (day 7 and reached 70 oz) too. I take small, frequent sips not big gulps. But the Water definitely doesn't stay in my stomach long.

I'm no expert at ALL. Take anything I say with a grain of rice. All I can think to say is don't try to "test" your tool. I'm saying this out loud for me as well. I feel like if I were in your situation I'd try testing to see just how much I could eat or something. That would surely lead me back to the dark side lol

Yes. Follow the doctor's orders religiously.