Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to tell when I'm full?

I am 7 days post op and I've been doing great with my diet of liquids but I'm curious what full feels like. I have yet to feel hunger so I am eating because I need to. I haven't eaten until I feel pain or discomfort so I'm starting to get concerned I'm not noticing it. What did full feel like to you this early on? I eat (drink rather) my broths and such very slowly and eat my Greek yogurt very slowly but I don't feel anything.

Liquids pass through the stomach fairly fast, as do yogurts, so it's hard to get a full feeling. Not saying it isn't possible, but it's much more difficult. Even though yogurts are thicker when they're cold it doesn't take long to thin out once it's in your stomach. I never had any full sensations while on the liquid phase.

When you get to the pureed stage you'll likely start to notice it. My first time of feeling full was when I tried a scrambled egg. I got about 3/4 of the way through it and that's all I could do. What I've noticed now at 8 weeks out (for me anyway) is that there is a difference in that full feeling. It's not a "Thanksgiving full" feeling of realizing you ate too much. Now eating too fast or taking too big of a bite can make you feel like crap.

Just remember to measure out your portions and take your time eating once you get there. It can be frustrating but making your early meals last 15-30 minutes helps out tremendously.

Btw...welcome to the site. Good luck on your journey!

liquids pass through the stomach fairly fast, as do yogurts, so it's hard to get a full feeling. Not saying it isn't possible, but it's much more difficult. Even though yogurts are thicker when they're cold it doesn't take long to thin out once it's in your stomach. I never had any full sensations while on the liquid phase.
When you get to the pureed stage you'll likely start to notice it. My first time of feeling full was when I tried a scrambled egg. I got about 3/4 of the way through it and that's all I could do. What I've noticed now at 8 weeks out (for me anyway) is that there is a difference in that full feeling. It's not a "Thanksgiving full" feeling of realizing you ate too much. Now eating too fast or taking too big of a bite can make you feel like crap.
Just remember to measure out your portions and take your time eating once you get there. It can be frustrating but making your early meals last 15-30 minutes helps out tremendously.

Btw...welcome to the site. Good luck on your journey!

Well said! Agreed and same here. As long as you are monitoring your intake and intentional fully following your eating guidelines you are doing great!

Mine was like a feeling of a "baby fist" in my pouch area. Also I've always followed my stages guidelines. Also food portions! Hope this helps love :D

During the liquid phase I had that full feeling once. I went to a restaurant that served broth & it was over my amount suggested by my nutritionist (4 oz) & my stomach could not handle another sip. I almost gagged.

I believe you'll feel it more in the puree phase & after, since it's more solids than liquids. My suggested amount is 4oz a meal & I only ate like 1 oz of fat free refried Beans. That full feeling for me kinda hurt at first & all I wanted to do was lay down after I was full. Like one of the posters said, it feels like crap.

Height: 5'0"
Weight for WLS consultation: 216 lbs.
Surgery date: 2/13/17
Goal: -71 lbs for healthy BMI (about 145 lbs).
Current weight: 180.8
My profile picture is not me. It's my "FITspiration" body.

For me I was able to feel full as soon as I started my liquid diet. It felt like my new pouch (Fee Fee) was bloated and uncomfortable and my right nostril would start to drain. We were told to pay attention to that full feeling so that we wouldn't overeat. I still get that feeling. Everyone is different.