Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My list of Vitamins for after bypass is as follows:

*500mcg B12, 1x daily
*Chewable Multivitamin, 2x daily
*325mg Ferrous Sulfate (Iron), 1x daily
*Chewable 600mg Calcium w/ Vitamin D, 3x daily
*2000IU Vitamin D, 1x daily (this is special and in addition to me because my bloodwork showed low Vit. D)

I haven't had a chance to talk my dietician so thought I'd reach out to you veterans!

Are there any of these I should avoid taking together? Should I spread them out to 4 times a day? Any one know if any of these might upset my stomach that I should take at night?

Am I making this harder than it needs to be? I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I go through this huge life altering thing! Help lol

Be careful, if your Multivitamin has Iron and you are taking a stand alone iron supplement, you can run into some bowel issues. ☺

After RNY surgery, you are required to take many Vitamins for the rest of your life. This is because you body no longer synthesizes vitamins from food. That part of your stomach has been cut away, so this daily requirement is extremely important. Vitamin chemistry is important for absorption. Calcium supplements should be calcium citrate. There are also different chemistries of B12. I use the sublingual B12 and was told to use methylcobalamin. You cannot use a time-release version of B12. If you are taking Iron supplements, it must be ferrous sulfate for the best absorption. gummy vitamins are not absorbed properly and should be avoided.

It is important to put a 2 hour separation between the vitamins that contain iron and those that contain calcium. So in my case I found that what works best for me is to take the iron supplements just before bedtime. I put my vitamins in a weekly pill container. I have one container for the morning and one for the night. And I use a very small glass bowel for my calcium supplements. I put my calciums in the bowl in the morning and take them throughout the day. If I am up and about I put my calciums in a ziplock bag and carry them with me.

The Iron seems pretty high.

I take the following - I had RNY surgery (Bypass):

1 capful of Nutrametrix Isotonic Multivitamin with Iron and 1 capful of Nutrametrix Calcium mixed together in the morning.

4 - 250mg Bariatric Advantage Calcium chewables - 2 at a time 4 hours apart.

1000mcg B12 - every other day

60mg Iron - every other day to supplement the MV Iron.

1000mg Vitamin D - Had issues with Vitamin D prior to surgery so supplementing it as well.