Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When does the weight start coming off fast

6 days post op and i only lost about 2 or 3 pounds I feel like I'm one of those people the surgery isn't gonna work for !! Please give me some hope and inspiration

Its different for everybody but just remember your body has just had major surgery and will be recovering but the loss will come just make sure to stick to the plan, i was lucky and lost 16lbs in the first week after surgery but from all accounts it was mostly just Water but i have seen others on here with little to no loss straight after surgery.

Patience is a virtue and your in it for the marathon not the sprint

It's funny, we were fat for years but after surgery we want that instant gratification. Have some patience. You'll have to get rid of the excess fluids and then start being regular and it will happen.

The hard part for the coming month or two will be the flood of hormones making you emotional. The feelings of failure and "it's not going to work" are normal. Search the forums for hormones and you'll find tons of posts with people feeling the same as you.

Be patient, it will happen!!

Right now, you need to focus on meeting your Protein and Water goals. Nothing about your weight is likely to be accurate for the first month or so. Stay off of the scale. Post-op life is HARD WORK. Take this time to settle into it, and the weight loss will come as a result of your efforts.

I know how you feel. Believe me it will start coming off. It took about 2 months before people really started to notice and I was getting mad. But today, 3 months post, down 40lbs down and feeling great! I'm actually at a stall and starting to get discouraged again but thank god for this blog! Good luck and just follow your NUTs plan and you will sicken remember too, your tummy had major surgery. So you need to heal. The phase your in for a bit is healing.

Thanks Nancy

I felt the exact same way. I'm almost 4 weeks post op, and at the same point you are I was really discouraged. Especially when I was able to start puréed food (1 week post op). I felt the the tiny amount I was eating was keeping me from losing. But I stuck with it and my doctors instructions and the weight is coming off now. Good luck to you and hang in there it will get better soon!

My weight never was fast, almost 6 months out. I lost a 3-4 lbs a week. On another note I didn't plateau like a lot of people either. Hit my first plateau for 2 weeks this month. Don't stress it. The scale will move if you follow dr plan and enjoy the nsv in the meantime. When my scale stops it seems I loose pant sizes. I was 262preop liquid 251 surgery day 199 today my high ever was 334 a few years ago and 292 last January when I started so I'll take it.

On 3/23/2017 at 0:25 PM, MindyMe said:

My weight never was fast, almost 6 months out. I lost a 3-4 lbs a week. On another note I didn't plateau like a lot of people either. Hit my first plateau for 2 weeks this month. Don't stress it. The scale will move if you follow dr plan and enjoy the nsv in the meantime. When my scale stops it seems I loose pant sizes. I was 262preop liquid 251 surgery day 199 today my high ever was 334 a few years ago and 292 last January when I started so I'll take it.

3 to 4 pounds a week is insanely fast!!!

Do people think they are going to lose 10 pounds a week for months?!?!?