Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone. I don't do a lot of posting but more commenting than anything but right now I'm a bit perplexed. I am pre surgical and have been told I will have surgery at the end of April. My problem is which surgery? I first started out saying RNY but lately the fear has set in when my bro in law died last year just a year after RNY surgery. I am 53 diabetic, BP, cholesterol, and sleep apnea. I am a mother to 4 children. One grown daughter, one son who passed away fro Cystic fibrosis, another 2 sons age 7 & 5 that we adopted when they were born. Both were addicted to drugs both have issues one with ADHD and the 5 year old who is autistic. I worry about my babies and their future. I want to make sure I'm around for as much of that future as God allows me too. I have heard so many horror stories about RNY that it scares me. Would I lose the weight I need to if I go with the sleeve instead? I'm not looking to be twig but just enough weight were I feel better and not hurt all day. Where I can keep up with my boys. My hubby works all day and is basically home on weekends and bed time so they need their momma. I keep praying that the good Lord will show me which one but I think the fear has deafened me a bit to hearing his answer. I know I need help with this tool being 300 lbs and I'm thankful to be getting it soon but has anyone else felt like this? What did you decide to do and why? Did anyone regret getting one over the other? Any help you can give me will be much appreciated. I see my doc Thursday and have to decide by then. I know I'm the only one that can decide what to do in the end but hearing people's stories might help. Thank you everyone and God Bless you all!

Ah yes, went through the same dilemma. In fact I changed my mind the week of surgery, for the exact reasons that you list. That being said, I have heard there are some metabolic benefits to the RNY that the sleeve does not provide, but I am not sure if that is true, and if so, how long those effects last.

I can tell you in the 9 weeks since I was sleeved I have not touched a blood pressure pill. My BP has been perfect. Also, my sugars have been in the normal range ever since surgery. So, with the sleeve I was able to get rid of 2 medications.

As for sleep apnea, I have not had a sleep study done yet, but I was at 400lbs so it will be a bit until I loose enough weight to help with that issue.

Ultimately you have to decide which you are comfortable with. I personally think all things equal the sleeve produces about the same weight loss and with quite a few less risk factors, but then again I chose the sleeve, perhaps someone with RNY has had better results than I have. I'd personally rather lose less weight and not have to worry about the complications that come with RNY.

As an aside you will see a lot of evidence suggesting that GERD becomes a real issue after the sleeve. I had GERD, with pills and chewables each day I still had issues. Since the surgery I have not had a single problem with reflux, but then again I am only 7 weeks out.

I was dead set on having the Sleeve when I started my journey. Due to my weight and BMI, my surgeon recommended RNY. In the end it was up to me and after much investigation, I chose RNY because I did not want to have to worry about GERD and having to have another surgery for revision if it developed. A nurse in my surgeon's practice had RNY 18 years ago and she is healthy and having no issues. I'm 5 months Post-Op and feeling great. My knees, back and hip have so much less pain than prior to surgery. My pre-diabetes has gone away and my blood sugar is in the normal range.

Age + comorbidities.. I can't see how you're not an RNY candidate.

Those comorbidities will shorten your lifespan, and while VSG might address those, it might not do so aggressively enough. The risk is elevated with RNY but at your age the risk of something serious happening while carrying those diseases for any length of time (especially if worsening) is way higher.

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

I am almost 4 years post-op RNY gastric bypass surgery. The main reason why I went with RNY was because I had severe acid reflux (Gerd) and the sleeve will only make that condition worse. Prior to surgery I had high blood pressure and was taking 2 prescription medicines for that. I had diabetes and was taking 2 medicines for that. I had sleep apnea. When I left the hospital 2 days after surgery, my diabetes went into remission and has stayed in remission ever since. In about 2 weeks I was off all my high blood pressure medicines and haven't taken any since. My sleep apnea went into remission within a few weeks after surgery. I am pleased with the results from this surgery.

I am 58 years old with HBP, sleep apena ( just diagnosed), athritis in my knees and hands. I do have a lower BMI, about 70 to75lbs to lose. I have had gerd for years but not so much anymore. However i have meds in case I need it. I orignally wanted the sleeve after doc told me about possibly the heartburn side effects of the sleeve, i leaned towards rny. I read all about rny and complications many years out and did not know what to do. I was so confused. At my 1st consult with the surgeon he thought I had a hiatial
hernia and said " lets get a EGD and go from there". Had that done and on my 2nd and last consult he said, he would fix the hernia and he thought the sleeve would be a better fit for me and he did not seem concerned with the gerd. So Im trusting him and believing, and praying that I will not have any gerd issues down the line. I feel good about my choice as I worried so much about many complications down the line. Wish me luck 4/11 is the day!!! And I wish you all the best.

9 minutes ago, carlychloe2 said:

I feel good about my choice

That is what I like to hear! In the end it is the ONLY thing that matters.

Thank you all. I met with my doc today and went over everything. He said with the reflux I have and all the comorbidity's that the chance of having to get a revised from sleeve to RNY would be high plus the chance of esophageal cancer would also be him if my reflux went up. In the end we decided to go with RNY. Thank you all again!

Thanks for this discussion. I'm still trying to make the decision, too, with very similar issues. Now I know exactly what to bring up with my surgeon. :)

I know once I talked to my doc and he filled me in on the what ifs and could be's we both decided that it would be to much to deal with on all of what I deal with now. When he talked about cancer and possibly doing a revised a couple years later I said one time only is what I want. Good luck to ya jrmoseley!