Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi guys!

I had gastric sleeve surgery on December 29, 2016, so almost 3 months ago! So far, best decision I have ever made (and I don't think anything could change my opinion!!).

Everything has been great. I'm sticking to my SUR's and NUT's instructions of soft foods and 60-80 grams of Protein with 64 oz of hydrating fluids per day. I have adjusted well to the smaller portions. I was worried about this, because I tended to overeat and snack late at night. I'm still working on eating earlier and trying not to graze at night when I am home. I also exercise 5-6 days a week for at least an hour, which is mainly cardio and some strength training. I feel amazing; I already had lots of energy before the surgery, so I was very surprised to find out that I would have even MORE energy each day (early riser and night owl all in one).

So my only dilemma, which is truly a double entendre, is that I feel as though I have lost weight way too fast. I started at 304 lbs and in less than three months, I am already down 68 lbs, now at 236 lbs. 68!!! Which is so awesome, but very scary. I had hoped I would lose weight at a "normal" pace, and I could work on toning up all while hoping to avoid a skin removal surgery, if it is necessary. I've only had one stall, in the very beginning, that lasted for about two weeks. Ever since then, constant weight loss. I have another post-op appointment next month, so I'll be asking my doctors about this.

Has anyone been through a situation similar to mine, or does anyone have any advice? Thanks so much!!

Edited by Gerri Anna Hedgepeth

My weight wasn't as high as yours I started at 270, but I lost 100 in the first 6 months and then it tapered off. You may not need to worry about loose skin.

That's awesome!!! Congrats :) thank you soooo much for your comment!

I had my month post op appointment last Wednesday but technically it had been 5 weeks and 2 days. In those 37 days I lost 55lbs which my nut and dr said was fantastic, although they wanted me to increase my caloric intake to 1200-1400 a day. Im a big guy at 6'3" and my starting weight was 347. It's hard to believe I'm already down under 290. I had some of the same concerns as you but I feel so good I'm trying not to worry. I easily get my Protein in every day, the 64 oz of Water is harder to pull off haha. I was just cleared to start lifting so I'm really looking forward to getting back in the weight room. Hopefully this isn't something to concern ourselves with. Keep up the good work!

Yes I want to lose gradually! Developing stones & having possible gallbladder surgery plus possibility of ear disease scares the shit out of me!

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:57 PM, brownsfan321 said:

I had my month post op appointment last Wednesday but technically it had been 5 weeks and 2 days. In those 37 days I lost 55lbs which my nut and dr said was fantastic, although they wanted me to increase my caloric intake to 1200-1400 a day. Im a big guy at 6'3" and my starting weight was 347. It's hard to believe I'm already down under 290. I had some of the same concerns as you but I feel so good I'm trying not to worry. I easily get my Protein in every day, the 64 oz of Water is harder to pull off haha. I was just cleared to start lifting so I'm really looking forward to getting back in the weight room. Hopefully this isn't something to concern ourselves with. Keep up the good work!

Wow that's amazing!!! Congrats! Protein is a little harder for me to get in, but I'm trying. Good luck with everything, I'll be following your progress!

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:52 AM, dvmp61 said:

I haven't lost as quickly. I was sleeved on 1/23/17, and in almost 2 months, I've lost approximately 30 lbs. I asked my doctor at my last followup was this too slow and he told me it was normal. So I'm plugging along. My starting weight was 270.

Girl, you got this. I think a 30 pound loss is amazing! Keep at it!! :)

6 minutes ago, dvmp61 said:

Thank you so much!!

I know I had mine a month before, but what's your current caloric intake?

Fantastic progress so far! I would not be overly concerned about rapid weight loss. There are a number of factors at play which may not be immediately evident that I can share from personal experience.

First if you are keeping a fairly strict diet (sounds like you are) you are most likely not maintaining a lot of Water weight because your sodium levels will be quite low.

Next is to understand your basal metabolic rate (BMR). There are a number of good calculators online that will allow you to see exactly how many calories you would need to consume to maintain your current weight. Estimates are that to lose a single pound weekly you would need to be at a 2500 calorie weekly deficit of that BMR number. That may sound like a lot but if you are anything like me there are plenty of days when I struggled to even hit 1000 calories (especially in the first few months).

BMR is constantly shifting based on current weight. Eventually as you lose your BMR reduces likewise. I have seen that some people are concerned about "wasting away" but in reality the body is constantly seeking balance. As your calorie consumption and BMR get closer together your weight loss will slow considerably. This is perfectly natural and nothing to be concerned about.

As for loose skin based on everything I have read it seems the individuals who have the biggest issue with a lot of excess skin is directly associated with the amount of time they were overweight and their skin stretched. Basically if you did not carry a lot of excess weight for an extended period of time you will not have as much excess skin.

I hope some of this is helpful and keep up the great work!

Dr Matthew Weiner talks about how some people are super responders to surgery, you sound like one.

Around 4 months I felt I was dropping too fast, like I really just could not keep up with it so I increased my Protein and calories. I still kept losing pretty fast but I felt a lot better.

You can't really lose too fast. Your body is in control kind of not you. When your body tires of losing it will slow down or stop.

As long as you feel good, keep going.

zippyskippy -- thank you SO much! This was exactly the information I needed, since I've never heard of BMR! I will definitely keep doing what I'm doing!

Rozay_Baby -- congrats girl!!! I had similar stats :)

OutsideMatchInside -- That is peace of mind for me. You're so right, my body knows exactly what it is doing. Thanks!!!

I'm 6-weeks post op & lost 37 lbs so far (I haven't updated my status yet). I lost the most weight the first month. Between last week & this week I only lost 1 lbs. but losing is losing. I haven't made a steady exercise routine yet. I think we're doing just fine. Our bodies are responding well & so far my doctor is really happy. Congrats to all of us with successful results.

Height: 5'0"
Weight for WLS consultation: 216 lbs.
Surgery date: 2/13/17
Goal: -71 lbs for healthy BMI (about 145 lbs).
Current weight: 180.8
My profile picture is not me. It's my "FITspiration" body.