Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Needing Your Wisdom

I believe our collective wisdom can be priceless and because of that I would like to ask for your opinions/advice. I have been a successful RNY patient and educator/ support group leader for many years. I am 5'4 and started at 302 lbs and have lost 164 lbs and maintained. The only issue I have dealt with is Constipation from time to time. My gallbladder was removed prior to RNY but I have had no other abdominal surgeries. My labs have been excellent and I'm very disciplined with my food and Vitamins. Phew!

About 60 days ago I started to experience nausea, abdominal pain, and long periods of constipation. I also had to change my diet to solely liquids and puréed foods. Some days I am fortunate to reach 800 calories. When it first began I went to the ER and they did a CT Scan w/contrast to rule out a blockage. Everything looked great from their perspective but I knew something was wrong. I saw my bariatric surgeon and he suggested an EGD and if nothing was found an exploratory abdominal surgery. He also put me on protonix and sucralfate 3 times a day in addition to Zofran. The EGD came out beautifully. Fast forward to this coming Friday as I am preparing for laparoscopic exploratory surgery. The nausea is worse, always feel incredibly full, but hungry, bloating, weakness, headaches, inability to empty bladder fully and this is all occurring mid stomach. So imagine a belt about 5 inches wide centered around the belly button. The pain is solely there. As an educator I know about many complications that come with the surgery but has anybody else experienced this? No fever...labs from a few days ago look great except an elevated red blood cell count. I have lost a bit more weight and unfortunately muscle. Any opinions? Anything I might want to specifically ask or tell my surgeon? Help...and prayer would be most appreciated.

I will pray for you and your recovery.

I did a quick search on the internet [nausea abdominal pain Constipation "elevated red blood cell count"] and it pointed to polycythemia vera as the cause. Then towards the end of the article it read "If polycythemia is related to kidney cancer, liver cancer, or other erythropoietin secreting tumors, the symptoms of these conditions, such as, weight loss, abdominal pain or fullness, or jaundice may be predominant." But again I am not in the medical profession and cannot adequately assess this because this condition covers so many symptoms.

Another article read "Polycythemia (elevated red blood cell count) causes are either primary (aquired or genetic mutations) or secondary (diseases, conditions, high altitude). Treatment of polycythemia depends on the cause."

I believe our collective wisdom can be priceless and because of that I would like to ask for your opinions/advice. I have been a successful RNY patient and educator/ support group leader for many years. I am 5'4 and started at 302 lbs and have lost 164 lbs and maintained. The only issue I have dealt with is Constipation from time to time. My gallbladder was removed prior to RNY but I have had no other abdominal surgeries. My labs have been excellent and I'm very disciplined with my food and Vitamins. Phew!
About 60 days ago I started to experience nausea, abdominal pain, and long periods of constipation. I also had to change my diet to solely liquids and puréed foods. Some days I am fortunate to reach 800 calories. When it first began I went to the ER and they did a CT Scan w/contrast to rule out a blockage. Everything looked great from their perspective but I knew something was wrong. I saw my bariatric surgeon and he suggested an EGD and if nothing was found an exploratory abdominal surgery. He also put me on protonix and sucralfate 3 times a day in addition to Zofran. The EGD came out beautifully. Fast forward to this coming Friday as I am preparing for laparoscopic exploratory surgery. The nausea is worse, always feel incredibly full, but hungry, bloating, weakness, headaches, inability to empty bladder fully and this is all occurring mid stomach. So imagine a belt about 5 inches wide centered around the belly button. The pain is solely there. As an educator I know about many complications that come with the surgery but has anybody else experienced this? No fever...labs from a few days ago look great except an elevated red blood cell count. I have lost a bit more weight and unfortunately muscle. Any opinions? Anything I might want to specifically ask or tell my surgeon? Help...and prayer would be most appreciated.

I can only speak from my experience...I had all the symptoms you had and the belt pain starting from mid to upper stomach radiating to the sides and elevated white cells. My diagnosis was pancreatitis caused by a blockage of the common bile duct. I had my gallbladder removed 8 years ago and apparently there was some debris left or the bile duct became too narrow and the gestational fluids were not getting out and helping digestion. I had mild symptoms of reflux for a few years but the weeks before I got really sick I was so bloated I looked pregnant. I felt full even though I hardly ate anything and I was constantly nauseated also had terrible headaches. By the time I made it to the ER I was told I was going septic and was in the hospital for 10days. I had to get a stent and could not eat or drink anything at all.

Sent from my LG-H872 using BariatricPal mobile app

Will keep you in my thoughts. Best of luck, and I hope they are able to find some answers. Not knowing is sometimes more difficult than knowing what you're dealing with.

Wow! So sorry you are dealing with this. Very scary. Saying prayers for you. Please let us know how things go!