Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does VSG really need Bariatric vitamins vs. regular chewable?

Hi,

I'm just wondering, since the VSG is restrictive only, why won't a regular chewable Multivitamin be ok rather than the MUCH more expensive Bariatric Vitamins? Any thoughts on this?

There are a lot of different opinions on Vitamins, I say focus on getting in vitamins that work for you, there are chewable ones that are bariatric. Most vitamins made me sick prior to surgery except the Gummy ones, so that is what I still take because they are the only ones I can get down, I guess I will see what happens with my blood work next month, if my counts are low anywhere I will try a patch or liquids

27 minutes ago, Seraya said:

Hi,

I'm just wondering, since the VSG is restrictive only, why won't a regular chewable Multivitamin be ok rather than the MUCH more expensive Bariatric Vitamins? Any thoughts on this?

I don't understand the difference between "regular chewable Multivitamin" and "Bariatric vitamins". Can you elaborate?

I was told that I didn't need to buy expensive bariatric Vitamins and to use a good chewable one initially and have it in tablet form when I wanted to. I am 18 months out and my bloods have always been tip top.

Just as a side note, my spell checker changes bariatric to barbaric :lol:

Thanks! That was great and certainly can't beat the source.

11 minutes ago, Seraya said:

Thanks! That was great and certainly can't beat the source.

I can't say I loved what it said (I despise the chewables I have), but I trust it!

I can't say I loved what it said (I despise the chewables I have), but I trust it!

My issue is the cost of the Bariatric Vitamins is waaaaaay higher than regular chewables. I can see if you did bypass and are at risk due to malabsorption, but with sleeve that's not really an issue. I'd rather not pay 3 times as much as I need to for vitamins.

I take alive Multi Vitamins, I've never been able to do anything chewy, even Gummy bears creep me out. I feel good and hope they are substantial, I also take my caltrate D.

As long as the Vitamin has all of the requirements in the article, you are good to go.

The only bariatric vitamin I take is calcium citrate. I really like the Bariatric Advantage Caramel ones and it's hard to find a Calcium citrate chewable. We aren't supposed to take regular calcium - calcium citrate only.

I take a regular multivitamin. I also take Biotin, calcium citrate, Omega 3 and b-12. None of them are bariatric and all ok with my surgeon.

My NUT explains it this way to both her RNY and VSG patients - Most over the counter Vitamins are only 50% absorbed by normal people. Bariatric patients would only absorb 25% - so you need 4x the dose. When you look at it that way, Bariatric vitamins don't really cost more than over the counter since you don't have to take as many. Also, Vitamin deficiencies take years to show up in blood work.

I prefer to take Bariatric formulated vitamins knowing that I'm getting the maximum absorption. 95% for Nutrametrix Isotonic powders you mix with Water.

14 hours ago, PatientEleventyBillion said:

I don't understand the difference between "regular chewable Multivitamin" and "Bariatric vitamins". Can you elaborate?

I think of the difference as a regular Vitamin being a 'supplement' whereas a Bariatric vitamin being a 'replacement'. As WLS patients we need to replace Vitamins we no longer get. The vitamins I use have like 4x the amounts regular vitamins have. That being said, I am of the personal opinion that once you start eating a more rounded diet you can cut back on the vitamins. Now that is only my opinion, and I am not in any way a professional at this.

17 hours ago, clc9 said:

I've been using that pdf for a while now after coming across the page here months back:

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/johns_hopkins_bayview/medical_services/specialty_care/bariatrics/nutrition_after_surgery.html

It's why I bought specific Multivitamins, all in chewables, and liquid Calcium + BA calcium chewable tablets, and researched more on separating certain supplements over stretches of the day, as well as away from multivitamin/iron supplements. It's really good information for maximizing absorption.