Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I just started this process. I went to the seminar in January and had my first appointment with NP and nutritionistI Feb 23. I go back on Thursday March 23 to see the surgeon and nutritionist. I was told 6-9 months till I'd have surgery. (hoping sooner). I have to lose 20 lbs in the next several months (already down 15 since January but half of that was before fist weigh in. ) I have my class scheduled, sleep study and psychologist appointment s all scheduled already. Hoping the time goes fast!

I am a pre-op RnY Ohioan, too. I am going for my second weigh-in for my physician-monitored diet later today. I am looking at early October for my surgery since my insurance requires a six-month long monitored diet before they will approve surgery. Like you, I am hoping time will go by quickly until surgery. I hope everything goes well for you!

Lindsey

I'm 14 days post-VSG living in the greater Columbus area. I used Mt. Carmel West. Are you interested in sharing your general location or hospital?
If not, totally understand.

I am very satisfied with my experience. I worked with a CNP (Dodie) for my 6 monthly weigh in visits however I do not believe she is with their office any longer. I started with my first official appointment to Dr. Miller last July and I didn't see him again until my pre-op visit at the end of February. He was very clear in his explanations and I am very satisfied with his clinical care. The only frustration that I had with the office was the delay that it took at both the beginning and end of the process. I had sent my initial inquiry info in and May and waited and waited. Finally I called in and found a very helpful gal who told me that they had no record of any paperwork. So I started the process again and this gal assisted me in making sure it didn't linger somewhere in the process. I also found that I did better by scheduling my own consult visits (with pulmonologist and psychologist) rather than having the office do it. They will set those up but I wanted to get this moving and knew I'd be more assertive. After I completed my six months I was told that my forms would be sent to insurance within a week. At the end of the second week, after I checked with insurance and found they had not been submitted, I called the office and started politely advocating for myself. They finally went out at the end of the third week and I was approved in two days. In my professional life I encourage others to advocate for themselves and I found that this was necessary to keep the ball moving. This might be the case in many offices. The office staff were all very helpful and appointments were always punctual.

One of the very best things is that Dr. Miller does not require the two week liquid diet. This actually made me "forget" my frustrations with paperwork. I just had to be on liquids from noon the day prior to surgery and then NPO after midnight. Very doable. Let me know how things go for you.

Oh my goodness, the same thing is happening to me. The office staff told me that they were sending my paperwork for approval the end of February. After calling Aetna, I found that never happened. When I called they told me that I missed the 2 he group nutrition class. Well nobody told me about that. So I'm scheduled for that on 3/22. Then they will send for the approval.

I hesitated to be too specific in my details but it sounds like we've had similar experiences. There doesn't seem to be one person there that coordinates the process. I think this is the difference between a dedicated bariatric clinic and the manner that MCW handles their program. Anyhow, I will suggest to you that when you've completed that nutrition class you'll need to follow up with the office until you know it's been submitted. Kathy was the person handling it last month.

I called the insurance company every other day to see if it'd been submitted. It was submitted on a Friday and I learned the next week it was pending at the insurance company. I waited until Thursday and called the insurance who informed me it was approved. I immediately called the doctor's office and was transferred to a person in billing who was a next step before it would get to the scheduler. I notified her it was approved and this person commented that she wasn't sure why she hadn't seen it, she'd received it several days before.. ugh! She was compassionate and understood my frustrations with all of the delays and said she'd help me get it moving. I had to pay the surgeon's fee (that wasn't covered) before it could go to the scheduler. Of course the scheduler was off :angry:on Fridays. The next Tuesday I heard from the scheduler who gave me a date. The scheduler was very kind and the most helpful of the whole process. Didn't mean to drone on and on but this plan worked for me. As I explained to them, it was very difficult to plan ahead for family commitments with so much lack of information. Once you have the surgery date you have to schedule your pre-op doctor visit and then pre-admission testing and group nutrition/ surgery prep class. They do this in a "group" on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I got into those very quickly.

I'm two weeks out today and it was all worth it but I never expected to have to be so assertive to keep the process going. Best wishes!

Thank you the heads up, I will follow your advise. Do you mind letting me know how much the doctors fee is. Of course I didn't know I had a pay another fee up front other than the $200 already paid.

It would depend on your insurance. Perhaps you won't have a co-pay. Mine was a percentage based on insurance, thankfully I had the money as I did not expect it. Basically the doctor wants to make sure they have their fee paid.