Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cover story for surgery

I need to use what we call "hospitalization leave" for the surgery and recovery period. I work for a large company and this will be no problem but my colleagues will know that I took hospitalization leave and will inevitably ask what for. I don't want to tell anyone about my sleeve surgery. Any ideas on what else I could say I went in for? My husband and BFF are the only ones who know.

"For surgery my doctor recommended. Did you have sex last night?" Asking you what kind of surgery you had is terribly rude -- most people do it out of concern, but you really can just say, I had to have a procedure and I'm feeling much better now. Thank you so much for asking. Then change the topic. I have come back with the sex query when people who had no right to ask or know butted into a conversation - when they looked shocked I would explain that my health was just as personal to me as their sex life was to them.

My work knew I was having surgery. That's all they knew. Whenever anyone asked, I thanked them for their concern and said it was something my doctor recommended and said I was on the mend. They usually got the hint.

I also had to tell work something, so I said I was having a hiatal hernia repair. Despite the fact that is a not as common surgery, it does accompany a special diet which would help deflect the weight loss questions afterward.

You should read up on it, people do have it repaired during surgery and my doctor has you do an endoscopy as part of your per-surgery testing, so there is partial truth.

I also said I was using that surgery and the special diet to get myself back on track with being healthly .

Good Luck!

I actually had my sleeve surgery done and a hiatal surgery repair done at the same time. That is what I told people and had no problems.

Thank you everyone! I went to tell my boss today and just called it minor laparoscopic surgery that would require 2 weeks hospitalization leave and that was accepted without any further questions! I'm glad I was prepared with some options thanks to all of you and was relieved to not lie although I was prepared to in order to protect my privacy.

I had a hiatl hernia repair at the same time so I am just saying hernia repair to people who I don't want to tell.

Honestly, you don't owe them an explanation, your healthcare decisions are solely yours and whoever you choose to share them with. Best of luck with everything!

Tell them something so gross they won't ask questions. Or just don't tell them at all. Not their business, and they'll probably just draw their own conclusions anyway.