Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to Sleeve revision approved, Now Nervous

Hi It's been some time since I've been on this site. I was fat my entire life, weight 330 in HS and up and down ever since. Lowest adult weight was College where I got to 225 after starving but never able to keep at a close to normal weight. I was banded in 2009 and like many have had a love hate relationship with my band. Like many it worked but had problems with too much or too little fills. Have had Fluid added and taken out so many times I can't remember. Some issues with Reflux etc. I was 300 when band was placed, lowest was 240, For the last 3-4 years my weight has fluctuated from 250 to 265. Overall I eat well and work out at least 3 x a week, mostly in an exercise class with trainer. (So basically I have been able to maintain a 40 lb weight loss) About a year ago the Nurse at the Bariatric office started talking about a possible revision and how he could really get me to my goal once and for all. I was going to them at least 6 times a year. (They had an annual Self Pay program) We started the Process about 6 months ago, with all the testing, with the testing it was found that pouch was dilated, and dr would not put in any more fills. The insurance initially approved to remove the pouch but not the revision. The Dr asked for a peer review and they came back asking for some more information. which i was able to provide So they have now approved the Revision to the sleeve.

I am nervous as I am generally in good health. Have High BP and actually look like most of the old fart friends of mine who are in the late 50 - 60's. many of who never faced a life long battle with weight. On one hand have bad knee issues, that will be better if slimmer as well as High BP, But I am getting older and with the current insurance situation who know if I will ever have the chance to have this done again under insurance. I do want this band out but could not really face the good chance of gaining my weight back if i had noting to help me. Its been hard enough to keep tin the 250-260 range and I don't want to go back to 300 Plus. But also I am concerned I wil never be able to eat a normal meal again.

Guess I'm looking for some encouragement from people who have done the band to sleeve Revision.

PS Getting Insurance to pay is hard. The Dr said it was unusual that i had so much documentation. I started to go to a good gym just after the band and they log each time you go in for INS Purposes so I had excellent records also had records of weight loss and personal training programs for the last 8 years! and Dr had records for 7 years of followup. They probibly sent 50 pages of documentation as well as letters from various dr. .

So let me put it in stark terms for ya buddy:

I have now lost more weight in 6 weeks after my sleeve surgery than I ever did during the 5 years I had the band.

I am concerned I wil never be able to eat a normal meal again.

This depends on what you consider a normal meal. If it is 6 tacos and a large soda from Taco Bell (yup that was a typically meal for me even with the band), then you are correct you will never be able to eat a normal meal again. If it is chicken breast with veggies, then you absolutely will be able to eat a normal meal again, but less than before.

You have the same concerns I did before surgery. The fact that you worry about this in my opinion means you most likely have some sort of food addiction. I do. It has been very, very difficult for me emotionally to deal with that addiction. Having said that, the other choice was going to the grave within a couple years without the surgery.

So, is it worth it? Yes, I think it is, and keep in mind I still am not even at the phase where I can eat chicken and veggies (oh God I never thought I would crave vegetables!). Opening up my food options will most definitely improve my attitude! But even at this stage it has been worth it!

Ross, I'm 3 years out from band to sleeve revision due to esophagus complications. I did very well with band beginning in 2010, losing over 120 pounds. I was also fed up with the fills, unfills and all the other symptoms with the band! My complication leading to revision was a blessing with some post op expectation challenges.

My weight loss with the sleeve has been very slow and I deal with GERD nowadays. Months before my revision my band was completely deflated and I put on over 30 pounds. Since revision, I lost the 30 pounds and just cannot get beyond that. I workout 6 days a week and my body is holding on between 215 - 218 lbs.

Here's my take through my experience. With any WLS our metabolisms are damaged or become dormant and aging doesn't help the situation. Initially, we lose the weight because we eat so little and with time this changes. When we start to eat more and start experimenting with our old comfort foods, we gain weight. Remember prior to lapband and all those diets where we did so well, only to put the weight back on and usually doubled it once we started eating normal again? Metabolism freakout, now times that by two with weight loss surgery.

A normal meal for me is 1/2 cup of Protein and 20 minutes later 1/2 cup of salad or veggies or fruit which gives me the satisfying feeling of satiety. Anything beyond that is head hunger or self sabotage.

Regrets? Other than my GERD, which is getting better, I am very pleased with the sleeve. Weight loss is slow, but, my waist size is a comfortable 34 and I can wear a snug 32. Shirt size, large and some mediums. Each one of us is so different. I wish we all had the same results, but, some of us have to work a little harder, but, well worth it! jake

Thanks for your help. Yea its been a life time of weight struggle, I was a fat kid, the 33O in HS. I did loose 100 lbs in college, actually in like 6 months, also lost a lot of hair and wasn't able to keep it off. For the last 8 Years have kept a good amount of it off, working out a lot. I wear a 36 to 38 pants, mostly XL shirts. Most of the fill was taken out at Christmas and the rest a month ago. I do find i am hungry, Weight is still up and down same 5 lbs. I am concerned about just having the band removed, but also trying to get my head around the very small volume. Actually most of the time I am doing Protein Shakes, until the band was empty it hurt to eat unless I was drinking with my meals.

You'll do fine. Don't worry about the small volume. The small volume will be the first 6 weeks, but, within several months you'll eat about the same as you did with the band. The most value to the sleeve -vs- the band is that you can't eat around the sleeve. When you fill your stomach, that's it!!!! Full is really full! That's when the battle of the head games come in.

I will tell you that the post op diet is tougher for sleeve than for band. It was for me anyway, but, you will start losing again. I remember that I didn't have appetite at all for the first months and had to schedule myself to sit and eat or my stomach would growl and I knew I had missed my meal. Drinking any liquids with your meal is a big "Oh heck no!" and you learn really quickly. I have to wait at least 20 - 40 minutes otherwise I get sick. Love the sleeved life, wish I would have gone this route from get go, but at the time the sleeve was to new.

Will your doctor do both band removal and revision at the same time if you are a candidate? Some doctors will not do both at the same time no matter if the conditions are good. jake

Thanks for your input. My dr plans to do them both at the same time. I don't really want to have two surgeries. While my current weight is not bad I know I'll face problems down the road as I have arthritis in both knees so eventually may require knee replacement. I am currently recovering from foot surgery and know weight is not helping. As I gave been working out these last 8 years I have a lot more strength and am in far better shape then when I was banded.

Thanks for your input. My dr plans to do them both at the same time. I don't really want to have two surgeries. While my current weight is not bad I know I'll face problems down the road as I have arthritis in both knees so eventually may require knee replacement. I am currently recovering from foot surgery and know weight is not helping. As I gave been working out these last 8 years I have a lot more strength and am in far better shape then when I was banded.

My doctor is making me wait 2 months before going from the band to the sleeve and I wish he wouldn't. I don't want to wait that long! He said my stomach had to heal. How did your doctor say you didn't have to wait? You're lucky!

Hi actually meet with dr today And have date of March 5! really not sure he never mentioned 2 surgeries. I Think it depends on what band complications you have, and maybe your general health. He said it will take 1.5 to 2 hr total. My band has been empty now for a few months now.

Hi actually meet with dr today And have date of March 5! really not sure he never mentioned 2 surgeries. I Think it depends on what band complications you have, and maybe your general health. He said it will take 1.5 to 2 hr total. My band has been empty now for a few months now.

Oh that could be it. My band wasn't empty. I just had it out yesterday and now I wait til 5/31! The wait is gonna kill me! Good luck to you on your surgery!