Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One year today- my re-birthday!

I didn't realize how emotional I would be today, on my one year anniversary. I'm not a sentimental but I feel like I got a second chance at life, a new birthday to celebrate! This was by far the best decision I have ever made in my life. I am healthier, happier, and feel like I can accomplish anything. I am in full control at this point and it's liberating. Just needed to share, I'm celebrating and I know all of you understand what an emotional journey this is!

Starting weight -261lbs

SW-March 14, 2016- 239lbs

Goal weight February 2017-136lbs

Current weight-134lbs

Height-5'2

Age-35

That's great, congratulations, it will be 12 months on April 12 this year I'm very happy with my results and I feel in control but I'm always thinking will I ever put it back on as I have in the past. I have lost 38kg till know.

You're an inspiration!! Happy Birthday :)

Congratulations!! Great Job! I'm almost 7 months post op and have pretty much hit goal. Do you still feel your restriction? I worry that once that goes away (does it go away) that I'll start gaining back the weight. I feel so good right now. I never want to go back but I know how it can slip back so easily.

Congratulations!! Great Job! I'm almost 7 months post op and have pretty much hit goal. Do you still feel your restriction? I worry that once that goes away (does it go away) that I'll start gaining back the weight. I feel so good right now. I never want to go back but I know how it can slip back so easily.

We will always have restriction, just not like it was when we first had the surgery. Around month 9 I noticed I could eat a lot more. Around month 11 even more. I'm maintaining my weight now eating around 1200-1400 calories a day. That would have been unheard of at 7 months where I was still eating 700-800 a day. How my restriction works depends on the density of the food. I know my max is 4 ounces of meat in one sitting. I can eat 1 yogurt with 1/4 cup of granola and will be full.

I hear you when you talk about fear, I'm always scared too that I'll slip back to the old me, so I give myself rules. 90/10. 90% of the time I follow the bariatric diet. 10% I get what I want, whether it's a peice of toast with my eggs, a glass or two of wine on a Saturday night, or a small fun size pack of M&m's after lunch. I don't believe in restricting certain foods into a "never again" category but what I have learned is moderation and control, so I'm learning to trust my splurges, knowing that I'm in full control and will not go overboard 90% of the time.

Congratulations and happy re-birthday!!!

57 minutes ago, kerrymarie32 said:

Congratulations & happy re-birthday to you!! emoji4.png well done you are doing great, It will be one year for me 22nd April & looking forward to Celebrate, it's also the best decision I've ever done too

I'm excited for you! Congrats on your one year (coming soon). I really didn't realize how much it would hit me. I just thought it would be another day but I kept finding myself breaking out into tears, thinking about the past year and how much I've been through. Its been an awesome experience for me and I'm glad to hear you feel the same for yourself.

Oh I am so happy for you and I loved reading that. I am about same height, age and same weight before you had the surgery and i am having my first consultation next tuesday. Hopefully I get to have it as soon as possible because I am paying for it myselve. Gave up on the insurance way to do it, would have been a minimum 1.5 years from now to get it paid by them. And I have already waited 4 years at least, since I had waited over 2 years to get it and I had at least one more years to go when I got pregnant in febrúary 2015. Done with the waiting, now it my time.

1 minute ago, Big2Tiny said:

Oh I am so happy for you and I loved reading that. I am about same height, age and same weight before you had the surgery and i am having my first consultation next tuesday. Hopefully I get to have it as soon as possible because I am paying for it myselve. Gave up on the insurance way to do it, would have been a minimum 1.5 years from now to get it paid by them. And I have already waited 4 years at least, since I had waited over 2 years to get it and I had at least one more years to go when I got pregnant in febrúary 2015. Done with the waiting, now it my time.

I completely understand! I was lucky that I had a pretty easy insurance approval but I waited 10 years. I wanted to do this so long ago, and a few times I started the process, only to find out my insurance wouldn't cover it at the time. I even had an emotional breakdown at one point after finding out my insurance wouldn't cover it about 3 years ago and ended up in bed for 3 days crying and finding myself a therapist. I felt hopeless, like I was stuck. But I kept going. As luck would have it the next year I was able to switch to my employers health plan and life just seemed to "make room" for me to be able to go through the pre-op and surgery process. Whether you are self-pay or insurance you wont regret it if you are ready. I'm excited for you and cant wait to see your progress!

14 minutes ago, cdeisroth said:

I completely understand! I was lucky that I had a pretty easy insurance approval but I waited 10 years. I wanted to do this so long ago, and a few times I started the process, only to find out my insurance wouldn't cover it at the time. I even had an emotional breakdown at one point after finding out my insurance wouldn't cover it about 3 years ago and ended up in bed for 3 days crying and finding myself a therapist. I felt hopeless, like I was stuck. But I kept going. As luck would have it the next year I was able to switch to my employers health plan and life just seemed to "make room" for me to be able to go through the pre-op and surgery process. Whether you are self-pay or insurance you wont regret it if you are ready. I'm excited for you and cant wait to see your progress!

Oh I am so ready, only in my country it used to be only awailable at one place and that required going to the insurance way. But not so long ago another clinic opened that does the surgery and there people can pay themselves. I just found out about a few days ago, immidiatly I made an appointment.