Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Curious about rate of weight loss

Hi! First post here. Next Thursday will be exactly 4 mos from my DS surgery date. Since that date I have lost 46 pounds from my SW of 261.4. While that is more than I have been able to do on my own, I feel like I am not losing at the same percentage/rate that many WLS patients who are members on my surgeon's face book page--and they had surgeries that typically lose less than DS! (shoutout I the other Rex in Raleigh patients, woot woot). Some had their surgery around my date and weighed very close to me and already have busted the 100 club wide open. I'm exceedingly happy for them, but it makes me feel like my surgery is not as successful and fuels the fear that I will still be a fat girl after all of this. Hitting my goals 95% of the time so I feel confident in that. I've made so many positive changes and yes I have had a bite of pizza or a Coke once or twice, but it's not the norm for me by a long shot and mainly I just had them to see how they affected me (no effect whatsoever). In any event one Coke in 6 months is not going to reduce my comparative percentage loss that much. Ok so I have poured out my soul, what have y'all experienced in terms of rate of weight loss? Please don't tell me everyone is different, I know that, but I also know that many others lose at rate higher than mine...in fact, everyone that I have ever met at has had the surgery has lost at a higher rate than me. I'm getting discouraged...

Are you eating many carbs? My weight loss has been a lot slower than some on this site and I think its probably because I am eating a lot more carbs than others.

No. I still can only eat about 3 oz at a time and to get the Protein goal it is solid meat. I can't do yogurt for some odd reason, it feels as if it gets stuck. Rice makes me sick and I ate a bite of a friend's lasagna at Bravo and felt like I was going to explode so I don't do Pasta. I don't do fruit or grain (although I did add about a tablespoon of quinoa to my chicken breast and handled it well. The Coke I had about 2 oz of and as a liquid it went down easy. The pizza I had I just ate the cheese and pepperoni. What roughly has been your percentage of weight loss?

It has been a thing with what seems like most people that start off with lower bmi's lose at a slower rate. It could be that, and 46lbs is great! Maybe you're not eating enough? I recently was in a stall saw my nut she said my body is in starvation mode and I needed to try to eat at least 5 times even if that means a couple of bites of something (I'm only a bit over a month so I'm still in the not eating a lot part). How many calories do you usually eat? And do you track your food?

The rate of weight loss depends on the type of surgery. I had RNY gastric bypass and my weight dropped very quickly and I leveled off and went into the maintenance phase at around 7 months. Sleeve patients lose weight at a slower pace, experience many stalls along the way but can lose weight sometimes for up to 2 years after surgery and maybe more. I have no knowledge of the rate that DS patients experience.

I also believe that BMI plays a role in the length of the weight loss phase. Those with very high BMI will lose weight for a longer period of time after their operations, provided they follow their dietary guidance from their surgeon.

Hi! I had DS which is supposed to be the fastest. I follow my plan and meet the Protein, Water and Vitamin goals. My bmi was 49.1 and is now 38.2. What was your rate of weight loss?

Janedoe I get around 800 and I track it on my fitness pal.

Anyways the point of this post was to get your rate of weight loss, anyone 😀

I had rny October 3rd I'm 5 months out. I was 251 the day of surgery, but my dr goes by pre liquid diet weight of 262. I'm at 201 today. So about the same rate. I was only getting about 500-600 cal and after the initial shock weight loss around 230 mine kinda stopped. I bumped it up to a little over 700 cal and weight loss started again. I stalled last month and was at 209 about 3 weeks then it just dropped 8 lbs in around a week and a half.

I was a low BMIer of 31 and lost the majority of my weight really fast!!... I am 14 weeks post of and for the last 4 weeks I'm struggling to get the last 5kgs off.. although I don't have a weight I am aiming for I have made one up lol
I don't count calories and nor will I ever !!...

This forum is a blessing and a curse. Every surgeon and nutritionist seems to have a different eating plan pretty and post op. Many are allowed Soups and carbs from 2 weeks out while othrrs, including me could not introduce fruit and veggies until week 12. So of course those would lose faster. Many of us stalled at three weeks for a couple of weeks, including me. My big weight loss came between 3 and 5 months.

Once I brought back fruit and vegetables it slowed, it continued just slowed.

Its been almost a mth and 1/2 and i have stopped losing I lost 35lbs in the first mth. I just get so upset. I feel like i eat to much. Breakfast is 1- 100 cal greek yogurt, then maybe a cheese stick(light) an hr after, lunch is a cup of my turkey chili (homeade with lots of Beans and vegis) then maybe a Jello (s/f) but not always, sometimes thats all i eat. I feel like a fat blob.

Hi! I had DS which is supposed to be the fastest. I follow my plan and meet the Protein, Water and Vitamin goals. My bmi was 49.1 and is now 38.2. What was your rate of weight loss?

Right now it seems like I lose about 20 lbs a month. I'm nearing 2 months, lost about 24 the first and nearing 20 for the second month, but don't feel discouraged, I also started off with a higher bmi it was around 58 I believe.

Everyone's rate of weight loss is going to be different. As long as the scale is moving in the right direction, you're accomplishing what you've set out to do.

The advice I was given was to take on healthy habits, and the weight will come, but don't make that the focus. Make the focus eating the right foods (nutritious whole foods, eliminate processed foods), embracing an exercise routine, and once you get into those good habits, the rest will take care of itself. Once you have it down to a routine, you can then make small tweaks to your eating plan and/or exercise plans to see if they increase/decrease your rate of loss....but I wouldn't focus solely in on how fast that you are losing, and embrace the fact that you ARE losing.

Best of luck