Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am I crazy for considering surgery

3 hours ago, Navigating the Wilderness said:

I see you are 5'9" and 230lbs. I personally would not choose the surgery at that weight, but that is only my opinion.

Having said that, if you can't get your diabetes under control then it may be your best bet.

As far as having surgery in Mexico, I would just do my due diligence in checking out the reviews of the doctor. Ultimately as long as you are comfortable with the surgeon you should be fine whether in Mexico or in the US. It may however be a bit of an issue with the surgeon in Mexico as you will most likely not be following up with them as you would here in the US, but you can always go to a US surgeon afterwards for follow-up.

Thank you for your comments and advice. I have spent the last 8 years thinking I didn't need WLS and I never even considered it.

I was always the tall skinny girl, never had to worry about what I ate. I was 130 lbs when I graduated high school and settled out at 145-160 after having my children. Then when I hit 39 I just started gaining weight like crazy. I had un- diagnosed thyroid problems for many years. I became fatigued, lethargic, started losing my hair, and could not lose any weight.

At my highest weight I was 255 and miserable. I developed plantar fasciitis in both feet and was walking like someone 30 years older when I got out of bed in the morning. Three years ago I developed type 2 diabetes and high cholesterol to add to my list of health issues.

I think my body does not do well with this extra weight. Some people can be obese and not have many issues... I am not that person. I have had complications with my diabetes already, my eyesight is getting worse, my feet have been numb, and I don't want to be insulin dependent.

My mom passed away last October from a massive stroke. She was overweight, had HBP, and diabetes. I don't want to continue down that path. I have wasted nearly all of my forties trying to get back to a healthy weight, and I will be 49 in August. I have promised myself that I will get to my goal weight before I turn 50. I am so ready to give my body a break and get healthy again.

Edited by Apple1

I'm 5'10 and I was 223 pounds when I called for an appointment. It doesn't matter if your 50 or 150 pounds overweight , if you feel that discouragement for a long time regaining the weight you loss, never wanting to be seen in a bathing suit, hating yourself for what you see in the mirror...to me yes there's a risk, but if your unhappy and you feel like the surgery is the right thing for you, then why not.

@Apple1 it seems like you have a good plan then. If this surgery can help with all those issues, and your surgeon agrees, then I would say go for it.

When I first looked into bariatric surgery, I considered Mexico. My reasoning was "why wait months for insurance to approve me when I can pay the same amount after insurance covers it and get it done sooner?" But then after researching complications, it makes me feel a lot better choosing to get it done here in the states. Complications can occur with any surgery, so knowing my surgeon would be close in case something happened makes me feel a lot better. Plus I was told by a sleever who went to Mexico and had complications that her insurance refused to cover the costs to fix her complications because she went to Mexico. Best of luck to you & whatever decision you make !

On 3/12/2017 at 10:27 AM, Apple1 said:

Thank you for posting your opinion. My husband fully supports whatever decision I make and that helps so much. I am going to check into Dr. Illan because I have read so many good things about him and his team. Have you chosen a Dr. yet?

I am on the same boat as you. I am looking into Dr Illan too. My BMI is 35 and I don't want yo wait a year to see IF my insurance approves. I feel like my insurance won't either way because I'm not at 40 BMI. I also feel frustrated and not sure what to do. However, I've Been doing a lot of research and I'm between Dr illan and Dr Ariel Ortiz.

11 hours ago, k-athy said:

I am on the same boat as you. I am looking into Dr Illan too. My BMI is 35 and I don't want yo wait a year to see IF my insurance approves. I feel like my insurance won't either way because I'm not at 40 BMI. I also feel frustrated and not sure what to do. However, I've Been doing a lot of research and I'm between Dr illan and Dr Ariel Ortiz.

I have been very happy with the BP team MX coordinators and have selected Dr. Illan as my surgeon. I will be having my surgery on May 15th. I am seeing my Endocrinologist today for a checkup and I will ask him to do my follow up blood work for me.

I am nervous about the surgery, but not because I am going to Mexico. I am very confident in my choice of surgeons. I know complications can happen no matter where I have the surgery done.

Have you talked with Bill Yanez or Dr. Illan yet? I wish you good luck on your decision.

I went to Mexico for VSG. Did it work? Absolutely. Did I have complications? No. Would I recommend it to others? Nope. From first hand experience, I feel pretty strongly that things could easily go wrong, and the care I would have from potential complications was probably not like what I would get here. This is my observation and opinion, others might feel differently. I just know if I had a loved one ask me if they should go to Mexico and have it done, I would advise them not to do it. I am lucky it was fine for me. I couldn't afford it any other way.

1 hour ago, 24601 said:

I went to Mexico for VSG. Did it work? Absolutely. Did I have complications? No. Would I recommend it to others? Nope. From first hand experience, I feel pretty strongly that things could easily go wrong, and the care I would have from potential complications was probably not like what I would get here. This is my observation and opinion, others might feel differently. I just know if I had a loved one ask me if they should go to Mexico and have it done, I would advise them not to do it. I am lucky it was fine for me. I couldn't afford it any other way.

This sounds very hypocritical or do as I say and not as I do. Why shouldn't others also have the same opportunity to improve their health with WLS as you did? Many people cannot afford the prices in the USA for self pay and I think if they do their research they can find a great surgeon and hospital in Mexico.

8 minutes ago, Apple1 said:

This sounds very hypocritical or do as I say and not as I do. Why shouldn't others also have the same opportunity to improve their health with WLS as you did? Many people cannot afford the prices in the USA for self pay and I think if they do their research they can find a great surgeon and hospital in Mexico.

I agree. If there were no complications or major problems. Why not recommend others? I think most people are concerned about complications more than anything than having a fancy hospital like in the states. Just saying.

1 hour ago, k-athy said:

I agree. If there were no complications or major problems. Why not recommend others? I think most people are concerned about complications more than anything than having a fancy hospital like in the states. Just saying.

True. I am willing to bet that the New Bariatric Wing at the Osais of Hope Hospital is as good or better than many in the states. There is a video posted of it in this forum. I honestly believe based on all of the research I have done that it can be just as safe to have this surgery in Mexico. I will definitely post my experiences afterwards.

30 minutes ago, Apple1 said:

True. I am willing to bet that the New Bariatric Wing at the Osais of Hope Hospital is as good or better than many in the states. There is a video posted of it in this forum. I honestly believe based on all of the research I have done that it can be just as safe to have this surgery in Mexico. I will definitely post my experiences afterwards.

Who is your surgeon?

I had MGB surgery in Tijuana 16 days ago and am doing great. I made sure to choose the most qualified surgeon (Dr Ramos Kelly) and not go by price as the key factor. I stayed in a fully equipped & modern hospital instead of at a clinic, which also minimized risks. I'm very happy with my decision and the care I received. I would recommend him to all my family & friends.

1 hour ago, k-athy said:

Who is your surgeon?

Dr. Illan.

On 3/13/2017 at 7:28 PM, Apple1 said:

thank you everyone for your advice. I have not met with a surgeon in the states. My insurance will not cover the cost and I am still in the process of researching and deciding if going to Mexico is something I want to pursue, I have contacted Bill Yanez and I am waiting to hear back about whether I would be a candidate and to get more information. I am ready to move forward and make a change. I purchased the book "The Big Book on Gastric Sleeve" so I could begin to absorb everything I can.

I purchased that book and it is a great read. My surgery is also on the 15 of May.