Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Must Haves" post LBL

I'm scheduled for LBL and liposuction to the anterior and lateral thighs on June 8, 2017. I'm trying to prepare for what items I may need to have on hand before going in for surgery. I've heard a lot of people report that a commode or shower char, lanyard for drains, walker...have been life savers. I'm curious what things you couldn't live without after surgery (or wish in hindsight you had had) are. Any advice is much appreciated!!! So looking forward to this next chapter!!!

:) Jen

Edited by nursejenny07

I pretty much lived in a recliner for the first few days. After that, just lots of pillows. Other than that, I didn't have any other props. A walker or something would've been nice… being hunched over and unsupported KILLED my lower back muscles! Good luck to you… totally worth it!

I was VERY thankful for my walker. I ordered mine from Amazon but you may check your local Council on Aging and they might rent or allow you to borrow one. Landyards!!! I linked 2 together just for showers and another for my "daywear" (fancy I know). MY personal #1 used weird thing was I tied a long thick ribbon to the footboard of my bed then used a safety pin to pin it to my shirt when I went to bed so when I had to get up I could wrap the ribbon around my wrist a couple times and pull myself upright without any pain. A bar of antibacterial soap just to hand wash my incisions and naval in the shower also gave me piece of mind.

I wish I had ordered a second abdominal binder (found a healthcom 3 in 1 postpartum recovery girdle belt on Amazon $20.58). I tried wearing Spanx while washing/drying my original binder and I was very uncomfortable.

You'll be so very happy afterwards Jen - if you think up any questions please feel free to ask away!!! I'm only short of 3 weeks out of surgery.

IMG_5953.JPG

I bought no medical hardware but used a shower chair once that I had. I oddly have walkers too but did not use them. I used a bunch of yoga bolsters and a recliner for weeks. Pillows! I purchased drinks I do not normally have like Hint to keep me interested in fluids. Popsicles! I purchased compression garments - not the binder but stage 1 high waisted - make sure there is access to urinate without taking the thing off. [emoji6] I kept essential oils diffusing for comfort - distraction. I had a full TT with LBL. - with bum reconstruction and breast lift with reconstruction. 10 weeks out [emoji272]. Ask more if needed and best to you.

I couldn't have managed without my riser recliner and commode. Made life so much easier. Best wishes for the surgery!

kate

Hi ladies! I'm scheduled for a fluer de lis and arms. This will be done in two parts, the horizontal tuck first (in April) and the vertical Tummy Tuck with arms six months later. I'm so nervous I'm thinking about canceling my plastics. My biggest issue is the time I will not be able to exercise. After losing 110 pounds, I'm now able to run 4-5 miles per day and lift weights. I eat a ton of Protein, but also indulge in a little chocolate because I burn so many calories running. If I have the tummy tucks, I know I won't be able to run for a few months and am afraid of gaining a huge amount of weight. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've seen YouTube videos of tuck patients, and they say they are totally down for two weeks. Then they start walking a little bit. But by two months out, they are still not able to do high impact exercises or weight training and they are barely standing straight. Is this true? I want my excess skin removed, but I don't want to slide back into my old habits of not exercising and being a couch potato (I'm a stay at home mom). Last question, what type of binder and compression garments should I purchase? My ps showed me a knee length zipper type girdle that goes all the way up to the breasts.

17 minutes ago, jands75 said:

Hi ladies! I'm scheduled for a fluer de lis and arms. This will be done in two parts, the horizontal tuck first (in April) and the vertical Tummy Tuck with arms six months later. I'm so nervous I'm thinking about canceling my plastics. My biggest issue is the time I will not be able to exercise. After losing 110 pounds, I'm now able to run 4-5 miles per day and lift weights. I eat a ton of Protein, but also indulge in a little chocolate because I burn so many calories running. If I have the tummy tucks, I know I won't be able to run for a few months and am afraid of gaining a huge amount of weight. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've seen YouTube videos of tuck patients, and they say they are totally down for two weeks. Then they start walking a little bit. But by two months out, they are still not able to do high impact exercises or weight training and they are barely standing straight. Is this true? I want my excess skin removed, but I don't want to slide back into my old habits of not exercising and being a couch potato (I'm a stay at home mom). Last question, what type of binder and compression garments should I purchase? My ps showed me a knee length zipper type girdle that goes all the way up to the breasts.

I was worried as well I did not exercise for 2 1/2 months stayed with the 4 pounds of my weight pre op. Now that i am cleared to exercise I need to put a little weight back. I think we worked so hard to get where we are The chance of me going back does not exist. I eat chocolate too. It just has to be really really really good chocolate ☺️

Thank you Stella S. Before you were cleared for exercise, how did you maintain your weight? Was it just the fear of gaining? I feel like I'm going to be starving myself for two months...

Research shows those that have PS keep weight off longer I went against advice and weighed most days. I upped Protein to at least 100 g. I cut all carbs and kept juice pops and chocolate. I did lose muscle. My operation lasted 11.5 hours and recovery was hard and long - I hurt and did not feel hungry. I knew the risk but also benefits. Plus I dropped 24 k on plastics -

Thank you! I know having ps is worth every day spent in pain and in recovery. I'm excited and nervous 😊

Post LBL I didn't exercise for 6 weeks. I also didn't eat much in the weeks following surgery so I lost some extra weight. I just wasn't hungry and since I couldn't get up it was easy just to live off protein bars/shakes. I got back to the gym pretty easily, you may want to walk before you run. I was concerned about the same but getting back to my routine remained my goal. You can do it. Good luck you won't regret it I sure don't.

Hi NurseJenny,

I too searched for helpful hints before my surgery and didn't find a whole lot. I am 4 weeks and 1 day out from LBL without the Tummy Tuck (had that done in 2003). It truly is a 4 -6 week recovery. Day 10 I had wound breakdown (very common) near the groin, bigger on one side than the other and it is healing really well with Silvadine and daily showering/dressing changes. Still VERY swollen around the buttock/hip region and it's painful. Feels like it's bruised. I am still sleeping in the recliner and will move to the couch for a couple hours. I find the mattress to painful. I am just able to put on my own socks. Did some limited grocery shopping yesterday and it wiped me out and have had to stay pretty sedentary today. Drove an hour each way to the doctor this week and that was very exhausting...needed pillows and to adjust the seat as I drove. Put everything you can within your reach. Meds, drinks, things to eat. I could not reach below my knees until the end of week 3. Fill any medications you may need with a full month's supply and stock up with anything else you need for a month.

Walker to use as a brace for getting up and for security in getting around

High rise toilet seat - I am STILL using it to this day

Reacher - you will drop sooo many things (it's comical now, but not when it happened)

Running shorts/compression shorts/leggings in multiples (cheap to wear and keep dressing in place). I only had a couple pair of big sweats and had to wash every day until I could get to the store...you will be swollen so I would buy the size you are and one size bigger.

Puppy pads/things to sit on, unless you want to wash towels constantly

Sock aid (or someone to put them on for you)

I didn't have a lift chair, but think that may have been helpful and possibly prevented the wound separation..maybe

Laxatives/stool softeners - you can't sit so it is essential that your body function without your help in this area!

Unscented maxipads and pantiliners in varying sizes (work great to cover wounds if you need to)

Tape to apply the pads (get the best tape available - your skin will appreciate it)

Benadryl...I haven't had this reaction before, but I am itchy this time from the anesthetic....and this is still happening.

Everyone's recovery is different. I had an LBL & TT w/muscle repair, and while I admit my experience is apparently atypical, with the exception of lots of extra pillows & Tylenol at night, and some very mild discomfort, I was pretty much back to "normal" in about 10 days. In fact, at day 11 post op, I worked a 13 hour day (which was the start of 120 hours in a 12 day stretch)! I'm 5 weeks out today, and am still amazed by how good I feel! Aside from numbness around the incision area (& the lack of hanging skin around my midsection), it's like nothing happened, and not a day goes by that I don't feel incredibly lucky! Just thought I'd share another recovery story!

On 3/22/2017 at 7:37 PM, jands75 said:

I say go for it!!! I had a 360 LBL in January. Prior to PS, I lost 130 lbs, was stable weight for over a year prior to plastics and was walking 8-10 miles a day. I had the same concerns. I wasn't able to exercise for a good 6 weeks post surgery. And when I did get back to it, it was gradual and much slower. But by 8 weeks post op, I was back to 6 miles a day, slightly slower pace. That changed pretty quickly. I was back to regular pace and distance by 12 weeks. I know that sounds long, but it was like a blink. Most importantly, I didn't gain ANY weight! I actually lost weight post-op, you'll find you just don't eat much when recovering, or at least I didn't. In the end I could not be happier with my LBL. I never believed my body could look like it does. Not one minute of regret.

Good luck with your decision