Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

11 years banded and removed on 2/22/17

So after 11 years of being banded and having my band work for me when I worked with it I have officially had my band removed due to erosion. I am over a week post op and can tell you I don't remember feeling like this after any abdominal surgery and I have had a few.

Not sure what others have experienced but I have dealt with incision infection, lack of appetite, stomach gurgling sounds, over sensitive to smells, and a whole host of other issues. I am at the point of wishing I hadn't taken it out. I felt bad before but at least I could function.

Sorry just venting as I lay here wondering what will happen next.

Did you have a sleeve revision at the same time?

Hi Kathryn,

I wanted to ask how you are now doing since having your Lap Band removed. I found out in May that my band was eroded into my stomach in May after two months of abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting. Now my reflux is terrible and the pain is sometimes so bad I have to take meds and go to bed depending on what I eat. I paid out of pocket for my band in 2006 because BCBS did not cover it in Alabama at that time unless your BMI was 42 or greater and I did not meet the criteria. So they will not cover the removal of it. My surgeon has now appealed it twice and we have tried to fight it but I am having to pay out of pocket to have it removed. So my surgery is Wednesday, the 12th. I am actually looking forward to it because this pain has been so bad and I have been so miserable for so long I hope this will help. After reading your post I am a little discouraged though. He did tell me I will have a wound vac drain and I will spend the night in the hospital. It is more invasive than the placement of the band and he explained everything to me how he will have to patch the stomach around the esophagus. So I do understand all of that but I guess I have high expectations of just feeling better once it is out. I am really concerned about gaining weight also because I have had issues with my weight being such a roller coaster anyway through these 11 years. I hope you are now recovered well and doing good.

Thank you,

Ashley

Hi. I had the band put in in 2008. Had it removed Jan of 2017. It eroded into my stomach and I have ulcers. I still cannot throw up since the removal. The ulcers make me sick when they act up.

Also the recoup from this surgery was horrendous. I was in the hospital for 3 days then had a 2 hr drive home. Longest 2 hrs ever. I've also had 2 other laparoscopic surgeries since September of 16 and removal was the worst.

Hi, keep thinking positive everyone. It takes time. I had stomach stapling with the vertical band 30 years ago. I just had the band removed 2 weeks ago because over the last year I have not been able to keep anything in and went down to 133 pounds. Regardless I have been eating really well ie. Toast boiled egg and milk...in one sitting and so on. I have some pain, nausea and new digestive issues mainly dealing with gas and my bowels but feel so much better. It's going to take my digestive system time to adjust to this new found food in my system. I'm excited but taking it slow as to not get sick. But in 2 weeks I haven't thrown up or even aspirated. I am not light headed, dizzy, weak or as tired since I have been able to add nourishment. I wish you all the best. I am so glad I had it removed and know I have much more healing to do. If I can answer questions from my experiences in any way I am here. V