Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not loosing weight and I am only 6-7 mos. out

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I will be 7 months out on 3/10. I have only lost 35 pounds since surgery. I get in all my Protein and all of my liquid. I am working out both cardio and weight training and I am not seeing any movement on the scale. My surgery weight was 259.6 my current weight is 224.2. I take my Vitamins. I get in my 10k steps... Can someone tell me where and how I need to make adjustments.... This is getting frustrating and quite discouraging because I am truly working for the body I want.

Are you sure you are hitting the macro goals like you think you are? Are you really in cardio training mode or just walking? What is your daily average caloric intake?

When I was in weightloss mode, my cardio was sustained 130+ bpm heart rate for at least 30 minutes 3 times a week. I kept track of all my lifts and my exercises as well as every bite I put in my mouth. If you are hitting your Protein goal, are you doing so efficiently? Just the other day, by breaking down the macro's we discovered a member had been eating 1000+ calories a day in just Peanut Butter over 10 days. She nailed her protein goals those days, but the fats were awful high.

My best recommendation would be to weigh all your food and keep a log of it. Being consistent is the most important thing you can do. Don't leave something off there because it will not look good on the spreadsheet or in the app. Being 100% honest is the best thing you can do because you will only sabotage yourself.

Are you following the 30-30 rule (no drinking 30 minutes before, during or 30 minutes after eating)?

Are you eating enough? Have you upped your Protein to account for extra exercise?

My NUT set my Protein range from 75- 90. On workout days I try to make 90 or more. I eat 5 times a day, every 3 - 4 hours and include a protein serving at each meal and also 2 multigrain carbs, 3 healthy fats, 2 fruit servings and veggies daily. The carbs and fruits and veggies are after I eat the protein.

I probably eat around 1000 - 1200 calories daily which was ok'd by my surgeon's office.

I had RNY gastric bypass and my weight loss stopped after 7 months and I slid into the maintenance phase. Sleeve patients lose weight at a much slower rate but they can lose weight over a longer period of time, sometimes up to 2 years. Sleeve patients also experience many stalls along the way.

BigViffer - I'm having 60 grams of Protein a day as was recommended by my surgeon. It's really of hard to eat so I drink a shake in the morning which is 30 grams. At lunch, I normally eat 2 oz of tuna or chicken. And I do the same for dinner. I eat at my desk because I do 45 minute brisk walk around the campus where I work and then I run 2 miles when I get off. I eat about 800-1000 calories a day... which includes my shake... hunger is not an issue for me. I do snack on apples and Peanut Butter for my sweet tooth addiction. But even that is the pre-portioned Peanut Butter. So I will remove peanut butter. Not really sure about any of the other Macros.

I only lift 2 times a week... because of a shoulder injury.

Airstream88 - I am weighting 30 mins. after I eat to drink anything....but this is the first time I'm hearing the before part of the rule... I can certainly incorporate this. The nutritionist suggested that she didn't think I was eating enough but in the post surgery book says, 800-1000 is what it says I should be eating. So, this is really confusing me. Plus, how would I even try to consume more with so much restriction.

I can see that the inches are leaving from the way my clothes are fitting but I don't understand why the scale isn't moving more. I will toss the peanut butter and add an additional shake. I can also try the 30 minutes before thing too... that will be the most difficult.

5 minutes ago, James Marusek said:

I had RNY gastric bypass and my weight loss stopped after 7 months and I slid into the maintenance phase. Sleeve patients lose weight at a much slower rate but they can lose weight over a longer period of time, sometimes up to 2 years. Sleeve patients also experience many stalls along the way.

Ah! I thought I would stop losing at 18 mos; hence the panic... I'm 7 mos out and no where near my goal. Thanks for the info.

If you are doing all of that, then I wouldn't worry about the pre-portioned Peanut Butter. Those are at best 180 calorie Jiff cups I am betting. Those are about 2 oz, the other member was eating 6.5 oz a day. Much different!

As for the 30 minutes prior, I don't do that anymore. When I was still in the first year though, I did it because it seemed like the liquid took forever to seep into my stomach. Now I can drink up until I start eating. After eating though, it is at least 20 minutes but usually more before I will take a drink. At 7 months out, I think the calories are a little low, but it isn't my place to tell you how much to eat. The size going down is encouraging to hear though.

2 hours ago, KRW1920 said:

I can see that the inches are leaving from the way my clothes are fitting but I don't understand why the scale isn't moving more.

Sometimes this is better than numbers, in my personal opinion. Your nutritionist might be on the right track though with you not eating enough. Seems like you get a pretty good workout on too. Your body will need more fuel, but in turn can start losing again. Check out this website and read the reviews of folks eating too little. Once they incorporated more fuel in their diets, the pounds start melting away. There's also a calculator and all the science behind this approach. It's not a diet.

http://eatmore2weighless.com/

Ps. I gained most of my weight not eating enough. go figure! my doc would be upset because I barely ate. I wrecked my metabolism doing this too.

When I was young around 40 years ago, I began to jog after work each day to lose weight. After a few weeks I was up to 10 miles a day. Instead of losing weight I actually began to gain weight. What was happening was that I was replacing fat with muscle and muscle weighs more.

If you are 10k steps a day, you may be experiencing the same effect. 10K works out to around 5 miles per day. Also this is a lot of exercise and you would want to increase your intake of Protein to compensate.

16 hours ago, KRW1920 said:

Airstream88 - I am weighting 30 mins. after I eat to drink anything....but this is the first time I'm hearing the before part of the rule... I can certainly incorporate this. The nutritionist suggested that she didn't think I was eating enough but in the post surgery book says, 800-1000 is what it says I should be eating. So, this is really confusing me. Plus, how would I even try to consume more with so much restriction.

The reason you don't drink before eating is so that you don't fill up your stomach with Fluid and have less room for the Protein.
I would listen to your Nutritionist. The calorie range is a guideline but everyone is different. I have a Protein range of 70 - 90g per day given to me by my NUT. The 70 in an absolute minimum, the 90 is the max. So on workout days I definitely try to get that 90g in because I know my body is using more energy and I don't want it to take protein from my muscles.

I agree with your Nut; I think you are not eating enough, especially with your high level of exercise. BWLS or not, if you are losing burning too many calories while not eating enough calories, metabolism will slow down. It's the body's way of preventing death by starvation. You may not necessarily feel hungry, but your body may think it's starving on 800-1000 calories a day, especially with your workout routine. Seriously consider eating 5-6 small meals a day, increase your Protein as much as possible, and don't drink 30 mins before or 30 mins after eating (drinking before will fill you up on fluids, drinking after will make you feel gross if you are already full).

What are you eating? And how much are you eating? Like what does a sample day look like for you?

As far as working out goes maybe extend the length of your workouts and switch them up, find a new way to workout that you might like.