Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help Managing Expectations

I've been losing weight throughout the approval process, and I'm down about 40lbs, with my surgery 3 weeks away. I know that sounds great, but I'm getting very frustrated and disappointed. This past month, I only lost 10lbs, the least so far.

I'm pushing myself hard - I'm going to the gym 6-7 days per week, adding time/speed/weight to my workouts as often as I can handle. I'm eating 1300 calories or less, including at least 80 grams of Protein and very little sugar or fat. I gave up coffee, alcohol, and soda right away. I'm craving all the time, and I'm feeling cranky a lot.

I'm trying to ignore the voices in my head that are trying to tell me that the surgery won't be effective. Obviously, I'm seeking surgery because conventional weight loss doesn't work for me. What I'm having more trouble doing is managing my expectations. I know I should be happy as long as I'm losing and not gaining weight.

What strategies can I use to cope when I plateau or my weight loss slows down after surgery? I don't want to keep repeating this pattern of getting frustrated and feeling like what I'm doing isn't working.

Well, I can tell you that you are still eating too much as the last I remember hearing was that men on a diet should eat no more than 1200 calories a day with women at 1000. Not to concerned about that though. You are working out too much though. Weight will make you gain weight, as in muscle.

Women have a harder time than men losing weight because your hormones really want you to keep the weight on, for fertility purposes. So you need to be consistent and patient. Change your workout to just 2-3 times a week and focus on being active during the day. Consume about 800-1000 calories a day, with most of your calories coming from Protein. Stay hydrated and stop worrying about it. Stress hormones will sabotage weight loss.

I would recommend that you take a good before photograph of yourself, so that you have something to compare to after surgery. Many times we are blind to our obesity. We do not really see ourselves. Therefore when the weight begins to drop off rather dramatically, we question if this is really happening. Photographs are a good visualization of our success. Many people carry a before and after photo with them, just to remind themselves of their success. For years I was obese but when I looked at myself in the mirror, I didn't see it because I was looking straight on. Also I was the photographer in the family so I never appeared in photographs. I am including my before and after (6 month) photo as an example.

Operation.jpg

I would recommend that you take a good before photograph of yourself, so that you have something to compare to after surgery. Many times we are blind to our obesity. We do not really see ourselves. Therefore when the weight begins to drop off rather dramatically, we question if this is really happening. Photographs are a good visualization of our success. Many people carry a before and after photo with them, just to remind themselves of their success. For years I was obese but when I looked at myself in the mirror, I didn't see it because I was looking straight on. Also I was the photographer in the family so I never appeared in photographs. I am including my before and after (6 month) photo as an example.

Operation.thumb.jpg.31716f1d5f38c207622c670a0c09692e.jpg

That's a really good idea. That's probably my problem. I have a before pic from when I started the program, and I'm taking another the weekend before my surgery. Thanks.

You probably need to up your Protein if you have substantially increased your exercise. My Protein goal is 90gm.

I just read a couple of studies where researchers have found that too much exercise can hurt weight loss. The body will only allow so much activity to affect our metabolism and body composition.

"The researchers measured the daily energy expenditure and activity levels of more than 332 adults drawn from five countries across Africa and North America over the course of a week.
They found that physical activity does have a weak influence on daily energy expenditure, but only among subjects on the lower half of the physical activity spectrum. People with moderate activity levels had higher daily energy expenditures - about 200 calories more - than the most sedentary people. However, people who did more than moderate activity had nothing to show for it in terms of increasing the amount of energy they expended."

Edited by Airstream88