Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 month post-op & I had alcohol. I want experienced feedback please!

I am 1 month post-op and I celebrated Mardi Gras but stuck with only vodka Water with crystal light packets mixed in. I was never drunk out of mind (not even close) but slowly sipped on drinks adding water and crystal light to each one to keep filling. Then once my crystal light packet and bottle of water were out I'd get another vodka water drink.

I'm NOT looking for feedback or advice on the following:

1) Cheating that soon is just empty calories (I'm aware of that and already regret it so let's not beat a dead horse)

2) Beating a food addiction can lead to alcoholism

3) Follow what your surgeon/NUT says. I have been following it perfectly until the vodka so back on track with their guidelines for phases

What I DO want advice on is the medical standpoint and everyone else's experiences. I have left my surgeon's nurse a note about it just in case :)

1) Will the vodka cause a leak?

2) Are there any other medical risks, besides delayed weight loss?

3) Has anyone else drank this soon and what happened?

You increase your risk for ulcers with alcohol. I'm 4 months out and took a few sips of alcohol the other night and each sip burned. That's the last time I will do that for a long time. Alcohol is not worth the risk of damage.

The stomach still has open wounds until 8-9 weeks out. Personally I wouldn't pour alcohol into an open wound! Granted stomach acid is more caustic, but still... why take a chance?

I miss drinking alcohol and I'm 2 weeks post op. The only risk I heard (because I'm planning on drinking in May when I go on vacation which is 3 months from now) is alcohol too early might mess up any medication you're on (I'm on medication for 6 months to prevent gull stones & ulcers) & it will make you more hungry like you'll eat beyond the 4oz you're supposed to eat with our small stomach. So, I only have the answer for you with # 2. Not sure if it causes leaks.

Height 5'0"
Weight for WLS consultation: 216 lbs.
Surgery date: 2/13/17
Goal: - 71 lbs for healthy BMI (about 145 lbs).
Current weight: 188 lbs
My profile picture is not me. It's my "FitSpiration" body.

My best friend's new boyfriend's wife had bariatric surgery in 2015. She drank a fair amount/fairly often before surgery and, according to mutual friends, became depressed after surgery/weightloss and kept drinking at the same rate.

He came home from work one day and found her dead. The coroner's report listed it as a result of alcohol consumption.

I don't know all the details (alcohol poisoning, a leak, etc?), but I personally have been terrified to chance it after knowing what happened. I like libations, but not that much. :/

But, I have another friend that's now 9 years post-surgery and she drinks pretty much whatever she wants, whenever.

*shrug* Stick with the most conservative option I guess?

Thank you guys for all the feedback!! I'm definitely not drinking again until I hit 6 months post-op, if not longer. I've never been a big drinker but being young and around it so often it's definitely hard to say no. Bachelorette parties and weddings at least once every two months, living in New Orleans, being single and going on dates. You name it. But that's what this whole decision was about - a lifestyle change to say no to the way I was living :)

Do look up the increased rates of alcoholism in wls patients. Transfer addiction is real. Whether they are doing it because they can't eat much so they drink or it's because our bodies metabolize it differently after surgery is still a little unclear. For some it can be a very slippery slope.

Do look up the increased rates of alcoholism in wls patients. Transfer addiction is real. Whether they are doing it because they can't eat much so they drink or it's because our bodies metabolize it differently after surgery is still a little unclear. For some it can be a very slippery slope.

Agreed!

Dehydration is also a serious risk until you can regularly exceed your Water goals.

Alcoholism is more common with Bypass patients... less with Band and Sleeve..

Ulcers!! Don't do it. It's not worth it.

This topic had been discussed ad nauseam. It's bad for a number of reasons. Death due to bleeding being the one I remember happening since I've been here.

I always chuckle when people say they know what they've done is wrong, but don't want to here anything bad about it. Posting something about imbibing a barbiturate, depressant, and blood thinner all rolled into one is something that should be mention as a very bad idea.

Glad you're not seriously hurt, but I hope you don't do it again for a while.

Sent from my phone. Please forgive brevity and spelling.

I'm so sorry to hear this happened to your friend. I'm surprised the doctor/psychologist let her go through with the surgery. I remember having to see the psychologist to make sure I'm mentally prepared & ready to get WLS. They told me they wouldn't do surgery on me until I quit smoking (I'm a social drinker & smoker) & they asked me questions to see if I was addicted to drinking. I passed. I'm not addicted, my social life involves drinking. But I'm fine now since I basically stopped hanging out. I wish your friend saw a psychologist about her depression after surgery. It can be mentally draining with the pain & healing. I'm on anti-depressants so I'm coping well, but I could see why it gets depressing after surgery.

My best friend's new boyfriend's wife had bariatric surgery in 2015. She drank a fair amount/fairly often before surgery and, according to mutual friends, became depressed after surgery/weightloss and kept drinking at the same rate.

He came home from work one day and found her dead. The coroner's report listed it as a result of alcohol consumption.

I don't know all the details (alcohol poisoning, a leak, etc?), but I personally have been terrified to chance it after knowing what happened. I like libations, but not that much. :/

Height 5'0"
Weight for WLS consultation: 216 lbs.
Surgery date: 2/13/17
Goal: - 71 lbs for healthy BMI (about 145 lbs).
Current weight: 188 lbs
My profile picture is not me. It's my "FitSpiration" body.

Hi I am 4 months out (uk) and when I had my pre op appointment the surgeon asked me what I drink which was usually a glass of wine with evening meal 3-4 x per week and one or 2 more at weekends. He was happy with that. I have had a drink on occasions since my surgery, don't bother with wine now as don't fancy it much but have had shorts but only one or 2 at once and am fine. I have not felt alcohol affects me more now since surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App