Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking post op, few questions

Hello guys and girls. I'm only 4 days post op so I know I'm probably swollen and my pouch doesn't really show how it will be in the future but I have a couple questions regarding drinking!

anyone who's past the 6-8 weeks stage how is drinking for you? At the moment I'm really struggling to get down much more than 100ml an hour or so. What's it like for you guys?

How much Water can you drink in one sitting? Like when you wake up in the morning can you mansnge a full cup of coffee?

any replies greatly appreciated

Drinking will get much easier in time. First week was tough for me, but eventually got to the point where I could pretty much drink constantly (decent sized sips). I'm 4 1/2 weeks out and some days are easier than others. Most days I'll have at least 32 oz of fluids down by at least noon, some days earlier than that. While I don't do huge gulps I can get a good mouthful of Water down at a time now. Just keep plugging away and you'll notice it gets easier as each day progresses.

When I do have a coffee (decaf mind you) I find that I can drink at my old pace now.

1 minute ago, orionburn said:

Drinking will get much easier in time. First week was tough for me, but eventually got to the point where I could pretty much drink constantly (decent sized sips). I'm 4 1/2 weeks out and some days are easier than others. Most days I'll have at least 32 oz of fluids down by at least noon, some days earlier than that. While I don't do huge gulps I can get a good mouthful of Water down at a time now. Just keep plugging away and you'll notice it gets easier as each day progresses.

When I do have a coffee (decaf mind you) I find that I can drink at my old pace now.

Thanks for the reply, I guess I didn't really know what I was getting myself into. I knew eating would be a lot harder but I wasn't expecting drinking to be so hard. But as you say It's still early days for me. Do you know if this will be forever? Like I don't understand certain things and my surgeon is very vague and doesn't have much time for me sadly.

Am I going to be sipping for the rest of my life or will there ever be a point where I could gulp a couple mouth fills? Maybe 10oz or so at once ?

It will all depend on how you can handle it, but if you have an empty stomach fluids pretty much pass straight through. The main reason they preach to you to take smaller sips is to get you in the mindset to slow down when it comes to eating/drinking. There are times when I get really thirsty and I can drink a couple mouthfuls one right after another, but I give myself a bit of time in between so I don't overdue it.

I'm back to most regular foods now and yes, eating takes quite some time. I try to take my time as much as I can so usually it will take 20-30 minutes to eat about half a cup of food. Even though I can't eat quickly my drinking feels normal. The early days are just tough so don't think it's going to be a permanent thing. There are some people that seem to still struggle months out, but it really comes down to the individual. I don't know if there is any relation to how much they drank prior to surgery or not. I could pound down the drinks prior to surgery so it's taken some adjusting to get used to slowing down.

9 minutes ago, orionburn said:

It will all depend on how you can handle it, but if you have an empty stomach fluids pretty much pass straight through. The main reason they preach to you to take smaller sips is to get you in the mindset to slow down when it comes to eating/drinking. There are times when I get really thirsty and I can drink a couple mouthfuls one right after another, but I give myself a bit of time in between so I don't overdue it.

I'm back to most regular foods now and yes, eating takes quite some time. I try to take my time as much as I can so usually it will take 20-30 minutes to eat about half a cup of food. Even though I can't eat quickly my drinking feels normal. The early days are just tough so don't think it's going to be a permanent thing. There are some people that seem to still struggle months out, but it really comes down to the individual. I don't know if there is any relation to how much they drank prior to surgery or not. I could pound down the drinks prior to surgery so it's taken some adjusting to get used to slowing down.

Yeah I'm the same before surgery I'd wait till I was thirsty then whackndownba pint or two of Water or juice then I'd be ok for ages. I'm a big guy at 6ft4 (193cm) so I'm hoping my bougie that was used would be slightly bigger than someone who was sat 5ft 10 as once I've lost weight I will need to be able to eat 1500+ calories a day I'd like to think to maintain a healthy life style.

hows your gas? Do you still get gas come up every time you take a sip? Mines a lot better than a few days ago I can actually take a few decent size sips without too much gas but once I have maybe 3oz or so of liquid the gas starts coming up and is quite painful still

9 minutes ago, Jamesarwin said:

Yeah I'm the same before surgery I'd wait till I was thirsty then whackndownba pint or two of Water or juice then I'd be ok for ages. I'm a big guy at 6ft4 (193cm) so I'm hoping my bougie that was used would be slightly bigger than someone who was sat 5ft 10 as once I've lost weight I will need to be able to eat 1500+ calories a day I'd like to think to maintain a healthy life style.

hows your gas? Do you still get gas come up every time you take a sip? Mines a lot better than a few days ago I can actually take a few decent size sips without too much gas but once I have maybe 3oz or so of liquid the gas starts coming up and is quite painful still

You got about 2" on me in height so I get where you're coming from. I've always been a big drinker. Used to freak my friends out when I could down my 44 oz Diet Mt Dew in like 30 seconds if I wanted to...lol. It's taking some getting used to of not drinking while eating. All in all I've been good and try to stick to the 30 minute wait after eating before drinking again.

I don't get gas from drinking anymore, but I do from time to time when eating. It isn't painful. It just feels like I need to burp but it's stuck. I try and hold off on eating more until it does finally come up which typically doesn't take long. I do feel "sloshy" from time to time from drinking. Just feels like I have a ton of Water sloshing around in my guts. Doesn't hurt or anything...it's just that feeling of drinking too much.

I had a bumpy start but am doing much better. This Wednesday will be 5 weeks since my surgery. As of this morning I'm down 30 lbs since surgery day. It's kinda crazy losing this much in such a short period of time but I feel so much better than I did prior to surgery. Lot of standard aches and pains have gone away and that's been the biggest blessing for me.

1 minute ago, orionburn said:

You got about 2" on me in height so I get where you're coming from. I've always been a big drinker. Used to freak my friends out when I could down my 44 oz Diet Mt Dew in like 30 seconds if I wanted to...lol. It's taking some getting used to of not drinking while eating. All in all I've been good and try to stick to the 30 minute wait after eating before drinking again.

I don't get gas from drinking anymore, but I do from time to time when eating. It isn't painful. It just feels like I need to burp but it's stuck. I try and hold off on eating more until it does finally come up which typically doesn't take long. I do feel "sloshy" from time to time from drinking. Just feels like I have a ton of Water sloshing around in my guts. Doesn't hurt or anything...it's just that feeling of drinking too much.

I had a bumpy start but am doing much better. This Wednesday will be 5 weeks since my surgery. As of this morning I'm down 30 lbs since surgery day. It's kinda crazy losing this much in such a short period of time but I feel so much better than I did prior to surgery. Lot of standard aches and pains have gone away and that's been the biggest blessing for me.

That's great man really glad to hear it! I wish you well! :-)

7 minutes ago, Jamesarwin said:

That's great man really glad to hear it! I wish you well! :-)

To you as well! Good luck on your journey. The first few weeks are tough but it does get better. Looking back it's gone so fast I can hardly believe it.

If anyone else reads this who is slightly further on maybe 6month + and would like to share your experiences regarding drinking after being sleeved I'd love to hear it :-)

I am five months post-op tomorrow, and I drink fairly normally at this point. I still avoid anything carbonated, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I want to warn everyone that bariatric surgery has the potential for substance abuse. I didnt think so but my doctors explained that it happens often after ive developed a substance abuse problem. You need to be careful because now i have a new challenge to face because of the surgery and the doctors dont necessarily tell you about it prior to surgery. Avoid drinking and if you cant then try to keep it at a minimal because before you realize you end up with a problem. Look it up

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App