Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared of Surgery

Hello im in the process of getting surgery, i really wanted a gastric Sleeve but my surgeon doesn't think is the best for me as i have really bad GERD, i know is a drastic lifestyle change but i have tried so many diets, weight loss program, supervised,gym, etc... i feel like this is my last option to lose the weight. I have two children one is 6 my little girl is 4 and i just feel they need to have their mom healthy to enjoy life with them, right now im always in pain, Migraines, back pain, joints, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, pre diabetes, pseudo-tumor cerebri, is so many that i feel if i don't get the surgery and don't lose the weight i wont be around to see my kids grow up but at the same time im scared of RNY because i know how risky this surgery is and complications that can come with it. I heard there is a chance your body can reject the surgery? Did any of you had these feelings if so what helped overcome it? Thank you in advance

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

RNY is safer than having your gallbladder removed, and far safer than morbid obesity. Life is risk, but you're running a risk if you don't have the surgery too.

Those are the words sabrina14339 RNY feels so much scarier, i guess in my case im scared of the rerouting stuff, malnutrition and the extra hours under anesthesia since is a longer surgery my doctor told me 5 hours theres more than can go wrong with an RNY than a Sleeve put i don't have any other option is either risk it or stay obese and have my life at risk anyways, i just want to be a healthy mommy for my kids

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I originally wanted the sleeve but ended up deciding on RNY on my surgeon's advice. It was only my 3rd surgery ever in my lifetime. If you surgeon is experienced then you should have nothing to worry about. Mine was a part of a "Bariatric Center of Excellence" and had done this operation for over 10 years. I don't recall seeing that the complications percentages from RNY were that much higher than Sleeve - maybe 1 %.

The first couple days are rough but things get better exponentially each day after that. I am so glad I had this surgery. Really wished I had had it 10 years ago. My blood sugar is back to normal from being borderline diabetic. My knees and back feel so much better. I can walk faster, touch my toes, and generally just do everything so much easier than before.

4 minutes ago, Darkstarwon said:

I watched the surgery done on you tube and it's freaked me out more than ever now. Really has made me think about it even more.

Why would you do that? Watching any surgery would freak someone out. I had my Achilles Tendon reconstructed. They cut a tendon that controlled my big toe , drilled a hole through my heel and anchored the graft using that tendon. If I had not had the surgery, I wouldn't be able to walk. What is your health going to be like 10 years from now if you don't have WLS? You can wait like me until you have arthritis so bad in your joints from carrying too much weight that even losing weight won't get rid of all of the pain.

It comes down to personal choice. I can say this, as I used to be a post op surgical nurse. The majority..not all.. of my patients who had complications from gastric bypass were those who did not follow our orders to the letter. There is a method to our madness and a reason why you are sent home with strict instructions. By pass is truly a lifestyle change. I am 4 weeks post op and loving the decision I have made. With any surgery there is risk of complications. I made my choice based on how much weight I need to lose and which procedure would help me achieve that goal. Also there were so medical reasons. I too want to be here for my kids and I know I wouldn't be if I had continued down the path I was going. I wish you the best in making your decision. [emoji846]

I initially wanted sleeve cause I was worried RNY too drastic...my surgeon recommended RNY. I had 18 months ago and no serious issues. Honestly I see more success from RNY not sure why but most people seem to keep the weight off with RNY. You will need to take Vitamins for rest of life but you get used to it. The surgery gave me back my life and confidence. I wish I did it when my kids were younger. There are so many regrets cause I let my obesity rule my life when they were young. Follow Drs orders and menu for first 12 weeks and remember it's surgery so you'll need about 4 weeks before you feel normal again but it's so worth it. And I had a hernia so stayed an extra day in hospital and needed stronger anti nausea medication but nothing serious or painful. Good luck with your decision! It's amazing what surgeons can do.

I am almost three years out from the RNY and I have never regretted it. It was alot of learn new feelings and now not being able to eat things as simple as eggs. But not everyone is the same. People with the RNY are usually able to keep it off and lose more due to the fact they have a small pouch (stomach) it hold less than the sleeve. And it takes a little longer to digest from what I was told. I was more scared to have the sleeve bc of all the stories I heard people would gain it back and I didn't want the surgery and time to be all for nothing if that happened to me. Either way it's a tool for a healthy life style. Everyone with WLS needed for a reason health issues, bad habits. But we all are choosing to change it for a even better reason.

It is scary. It is major, life changing surgery. And it's 100% ok to be scared. But for me being morbidly obese was scary and major and life changing too so I made my choice. At least with surgery I knew my life would change!

I was really scared before my surgery! I prepared myself for all sorts in case anything went wrong. Personally I think that is important, for taking responsibility for what you are doing and why. I cried periodically for a fortnight leading up to the op, and at the hospital on the morning of the op. That was a fortnight ago now, and looking back I think it was good that I was nervous/scared - it's a big deal getting this done and nobody should take it lightly.