Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating for the first time post-op

I am 11 days post op and I ate about 1 tablespoon of a moist but bland chicken salad yesterday and had a weird experience. I am wondering if what I felt was normal. It felt like a small pipe cleaner going down, I could feel the fibers in the back of my esophagus. I had to take micro-sips of Water to push it down and then I got some pain near my left shoulder under my neck, it went away after awhile but still, how very weird. Is this normal? Will these feelings subside? Will I ever be able to eat more than a tablespoon of food?

When you say salad, do you mean lettuce, tomatoes etc?

I am 26 days postop. Each bite is a teaspoon. My meals range from 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup per meal 6 times a day. I have a Protein Drink for Breakfast everyday
Matrix simply vanilla Protein power
It's 58 grams of protein in one 16 oz drink. So I make sure I'm meeting my goal takes a while to get it down but I have found it works for me!

I had my surgery on February 21 and I have the same left shoulder pain. My surgeon told me its called phantom shoulder pain and it is the result of liquid or food passing through the diaphragm. During surgery my surgeon repaired a hiatal hernia and so he relates my shoulder pain to that fix.

No Kate salad as in canned chicken, powdered seasonings, light mayo, and very well smashed up soft boiled eggs.

Jkhaj I am aware of the drinking rule but sometimes things need a small push. lets not be over-dramatic about a mini-sip of Water between bites. I also said I moistened it well if you read my post...

You might want to purée your chicken salad it will make smaller more manageable portions.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You're eating chicken 11 days out? Is that OK with your plan? Everyone's plans are so different. I can't have chicken until I'm 6 weeks post-op. I'm on day 16 and just started soft foods. Yogurt has gone down ok. Scramble eggs and string cheese are my favorite right now. I made the ricotta bake tonight. It was delicious.

Yes Kimberg I am eating chicken 11 days out and yes it is on my plan. I just asked a few simple questions and it seems they cant be answered so I think I will take the post down...

I experienced this feeling too- I think you explained it perfectly!
For me I think it came down to the food I was trying was a little dry. I'd been fine with Soups and purees, but this was a new texture that needed some getting used to. I tried it again about a week later and found it to be much less uncomfortable and unpleasant. Hope that helps you and you're feeling better.

And yes, you'll be able to eat more than a tablespoon soon. I'm about 6 weeks out and can eat about 1/2 cup, depending on what it is. I totally understand your frustration... I was wondering if I was ever going to be normal again or be able to eat out socially!

Tbrickchanging. I was trying to help
Sorry if I offended you. This is for help and advice. Not judging! If you don't want advice or opinion you need not ask!

3 hours ago, jkhaj said:

Tbrickchanging. I was trying to help
Sorry if I offended you. This is for help and advice. Not judging! If you don't want advice or opinion you need not ask!

I feel like you are trolling more than helping given this last post of yours. You answered one of my questions, and I don't recall displaying your name and saying you were offensive until now. You posting this is just plain taking things out of context, and you need not respond on my posts if you can't stick to the topic. I am free to ask things without people like you patronizing me.