Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days away..... I am nervous wreck!

My surgery is 5 days away.... I'm excited and nervous at the same time, I keep look at this body that I've had a love/hate relationship with since I can remember and now I see it in a whole new way. I look at it and feel it and think "wow.... I've struggled with you for so long and now, you'll be gone"
I'm scared y'all! What will it look like after, will I struggle with the "new me" will I miss myself? I keep reading horror stories about hair loss and tragic, excess skin.... is it all worth it? My primary goal for surgery is to aliviate my chronic back pain, knee pain and other body disconforts and live a healthier, active life. But, will it be like I hope it will be? I don't know and that is one scary thought

That sounds about right... if you think with your logical mind, at this point, my emotions are running this internal struggle lol thank you for your response, logic should take center stage in tines of crisis.

Hi just think like this do want to wake up in. Pain everyday or do you want a chance to start a new journey where you will feel more alive and full ov energy yes I no the feeling I was so scared had bad dreams thinking ov it witch is normal but stay strong and think positive good luck ?

On 2/25/2017 at 0:28 AM, SleevePanda said:

That sounds about right... if you think with your logical mind, at this point, my emotions are running this internal struggle lol thank you for your response, logic should take center stage in tines of crisis.

It's perfectly normal to question things, or have your doubts. Some days I'm like, "could I just achieve this without surgery?", but there's a good reason you're having this, so I would think about that. And you're having your OR date like.. next week? Damn I wish that was me.

Me too! I am scheduled for Thursday. I am a nervous wreck. I can't think of anything other than the surgery. Will I lose weight? Will everything go smooth? Will I really feel full? Will I load my hair? Will I have regrets?

All those questions and then some. I am keep myself busy by planning for post-op. I have packed a small bag with the essentials and I feel ready but oh so nervous. Let's keep in touch please. We can track our progress together. I wish you the very best.

The only regret you will have if you don't do it I'm now 12 days out after surgery I feel good no pain . And driving still on liquid diet but to be fair I don't feel to bad as yet it's a strange feeling not feeling hungry and when I do 200ml ov Soup sorts the job out . I was pooing myself before but that's normal we are changing our lives forever . Our main goal is to have a tool in our body to help us be healthy and lose weight if we choose to do so .hope this helps good luck ?

Im going under the knife tomorrow...Im literally a nervous wreck also. I have so many things running through my mind and hope Im making the right decision. I know I need to do something or my quality of life will start to degrade over the next few years.

Watch my video, it has my experiences, doubts and backing out the first time as well as the decisions that led me back to this point..

Well done in posting ur video honesty is the best policy. Hope you get to you new goal and injoy the journey thank you ?

Hi I'm 12 days out a feel good no pain no hunger and just focus on getting my life back . I was 236lbs now at 200lbs hope all goes well for u and see you on over side . Ps try and get up after surgery get that gas out and gets the blood pumping around only when u feel safe to do so ??

you got this ?

I am very scared too! For a lot of the reasons you mentioned. I have been overweight and obese since puberty and I have no idea how I could possibly adjust to... not being that. Haha. And I'm scared of the tiny chance I might die from complications, too. I'm worried that I won't change my life enough, that I'll still fail, that I'll hate not being able to eat the way I do now. So many fears and insecurities!

But I am also scared of gaining another 50 pounds in the next 5 years, and I am scared of getting type ii diabetes like the rest of my family, and I am scared of always having to be the fat friend in my group and of never getting to shop in "normal" stores and not getting the chance to learn to have fun being active.

My psychologist said something really great to me on my last meeting with her. She said "it's good that you're scared, because it means you take this seriously and you understand what a big, irreversible change you're about to make. if you weren't scared, i'd be worried you didn't actually understand what you were doing and were unprepared for it."

So maybe try thinking of it that way?

Either that or just get post-ops to tell you all their tales of wanting to leap off the gurney before they got put under and call the whole thing off... and how post-surgery they are so happy they pushed through the fear.

I can definitely understand how you feel, I am 15 days away and super nervous! My back hurts 99 percent of the time and the other risks associated with being morbidly obese are just not worth it for me any longer! If I have to get a bit of Lopo done a year or two out than that's fine, I'll gladly take saggy skin and a bit of temporary hair loss for a longer healthier life! Good luck to you

If you have significant comorbidities that we will be most likely lead to a better life. Maybe watching videos of the surgery on YouTube will help