Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating too much at this stage

I'm only 4 weeks out and I think I'm eating way too much. Or at least more than the average sleever is eating like I'm able to have 1 bag of white cheddar popcorn and finish it within 2 days on top of my liquids and other 4oz meals not sure what is going on.. its like I can't tell when I'm full until it's too late and I'm about to throw up.. and I know I'm not soposed to be eating this but I'm trying to figure out why I am able to do so!?!?

How big is the bag of popcorn you are eating? Are you cleared for popcorn at 4 weeks post? Popcorn is one of those foods that I can overeat without issue, it goes down easy for me. If you feel out of control with it my best advice is keep it out of the house. It sounds to me like you may want to try eating slower, also remember that at this point your nerves are still healing so you may not be feeling as full yet so you need to monitor your portions

It's one of the large 5oz bags... I'm not cleared for this yet.. and I feel the same it's like it is so light and airy and crunchy at the same time.. how long does the healing process take? And I monitor everything that goes in.. I was able to eat cheetoes puffs a week after surgery and now this.. going to the surgeon to get some appetite suppressants hopefully cuz I'm way too hungry all the time... and it's not head hunger either... so idk

I have heard at least 6 weeks you are still healing. My fear with popcorn is the kernels, you wouldn't want to get that stuck in a still healing suture line. I know at times if I am eating too fast I get from satisfied to overfull in one bite. Are you getting all of your fluids in? Are you getting in enough Protein? Both of those can help with hunger too because it keeps you fuller.

How many grams of Protein in your shakes? I know they want me over 80 grams of protein a day and for Water you want to be over 64oz, Protein Shakes can count towards some of that. Are you on solids for your meals? About 4 weeks is where I started on more solid foods and I know I felt a lot more once I got past soft food

I'm soposed to have 60-80 as well but I'm having 60 grams per day... I'm eating purée foods now so tuna salad and eggs or cream of wheat is what I've been living off of... also have a stall if the century!! Going on 2 weeks now did u experience that as well?

Hey Shanm

I am only a few days out from surgery but I was told at 6 weeks you are still healing and the staples are only 50% durable so you want to make sure not to eat things that could hinder your healing. Try slowing down and take your time eating. If your dietician said it's ok to snack choose Protein rich Snacks. If you feel you are over eating get with your nutritionist asap to get a strategy in place for long term success.

I remember when my kids were toddlers wanting my popcorn I would eat the part with the kernel particles and give them only the puff parts so they won't choke. Maybe only nibble off the puff parts doing this will also help you slow down.

popcorn is a slider food, which means it doesn't close the pyloric valve and goes right through. You can eat lots of sliders, no problem, unfortunately! At 4 weeks stick with the plan as close as you can. Weigh, measure & track everything.

Met with my NUT today and was prescribed appetite suppressant so we will see how the work when I get them.. thanks for all the advice.. learning more and more each day how much Water is important to this process

It helps when its not in the house i try buy high Protein stuff toss the chips and popcorn they dont do any thing for u we did this surgrey to get healthier ..i make lil protein platters laughin cow cheese turkey pepper sticks, pickles, a few crackers piece of fruit it normally takes me an hour to 2 to eat instead snacking on old habits im on week 4 post op the only thing im struggling with is my Water intake im not even close to what im recommended

BigBodyBombFace

I'm only 4 weeks out and I think I'm eating way too much. Or at least more than the average sleever is eating like I'm able to have 1 bag of white cheddar popcorn and finish it within 2 days on top of my liquids and other 4oz meals not sure what is going on.. its like I can't tell when I'm full until it's too late and I'm about to throw up.. and I know I'm not soposed to be eating this but I'm trying to figure out why I am able to do so!?!?

I'm in my 5th week out, and have had the same problem of not knowing when I'm full until it's too late. It is very frustrating. I have found that taking a bite or two of food and then taking a break to let that food settle before taking a another bite, helps me gauge how full I'm getting. Good luck to you.