Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

size of sleeve / portion stomach removed matter?

I would like to share that I too had a lot of emotional eating issues before the surgery, particularly if I was trying to procrastinate doing something. The surgery has given me a "forced window" to change my habits. Now when I attempt to eat to avoid doing something, I have a Protein shake or string cheese. Once I've had that I am done and full. At that point I make the conscious effort to do what I was procrastinating. Sometimes, if I already feel a restriction, I make myself do what I need to do and THEN have my Protein Shake. My point is this: I'm making a conscious decision to utilize the surgery to change my bad habit patterns.

I do allow myself some sliders at 6 months but only a bite. That's my rule. If it's Cookies, I allow for 3 small Cookies (never more than that in one day) or if it's cake, only a bite or two. Again, I'm building controlled habits. If I see that I've moved to a few more bites I make myself cut back again and replace with more Protein. I USE my tool to make a better life.

I too feel uncomfortable when I eat with family and friends but what I've started doing is get up from the table a little sooner and start cleaning or serving others or visit more. No one seems to really notice and they seem happy so that's what matters in the long run.

I may be at the table for 30 minutes less but I'll be in their life for more years in the long run!

I would highly advise going full in on the surgery. In the end, you'll be eating normal amounts of food and you'll know that it worked the way it was intended to work. Remove less and you probably will not lose the amount of weight that your body was never intended to carry around for a lifetime anyway.

You got this and if f you have any more questions, we're here for you!

Outside match inside and Newadventure2016:

thanks so much for your comments! I love the term you use about sliders. I tend to be a visual person and I can understand slider: it slides down. And often too easily. So that tells me those are foods where I need to be exceptionally cautious.

im hoping to have my surgery date in August; that's what my surgeon initially said. I'm undergoing the necessary tests and ordering a few Protein items to try. Did you find that things you liked presurgery taste different postsurgery. Trying to understand that part.

Im reading and learning a little t so I hope there will be less to concern me.

My tastes are exactly the same, only exaggerated. If I didn't like something preoperative I really hate it now.

I don't suggest stocking up on Protein etc. You will get tired of it after weeks of that being all you have. So just get enough, not a lot.

The post about the sliders from OutsideMatchInside is one of the best I have seen on this forum.

"When you see people at 2 to 5 years post op and they have regained, do you think theyou regained on Protein shakes and dense Protein? No, they regained on sliders."

That says it all. Nothing about this is easy......but I bought my first pair os Size 10 pants today and they feel good!!!!! Really good!!!

I was astonished that I didn't like coffee after the surgery. Quit it about 2 weeks before so I shouldn't have to deal with headaches from no caffeine. After, even decaffeinated tasted awful. Drink a lot of herbal teas now.

From the day I could start buying Protein shakes, the Premier Protein chocolate have been my favorite and are now just a part of my grocery list. I get them at Walmart (4 for $6.67) and usually drink 1-2 a day. 30 grams of Protein each. I loved bananas before surgery and now after, they make me nauseated (even at 7 months out!). Mostly the rest of foods I like (or dislike) about the same.

A lot of comments by people who didn't read the OP's question yet are so quick to slam the answers with their own, which are completely non-relevant to OP's original post.

Regarding grehlin, it is one of four hormones responsible for hunger. Many people find themselves hungry a few months after surgery, but they are easily sated by the small stomach.

It's a package deal. Reducing some grehlin while leaving the stomach mostly intact will not stop hunger or keep you from overeating.

No, that's just not an option at first or surgery is pointless. When you have sleeve surgery you want it to be tight and to keep you from being able to eat. This is what stops you from eating. Over time, a couple years, your portion size will increase but it will never be quite the same.

If you are an emotional eater and a yo yo dieter who is co-dependent on food, I would suggest considering another option other than surgery. Your weight is not that high- mid thirties isn't crazy high at all. You still want to be able to enjoy food with your family.

Perhaps check into intuitive eating? It is a method of eating that helps you stop dieting, stop binging, stop emotional eating, gradually lose weight, and yet still be able to enjoy food you love and celebrations around food.

VSG is not for everyone. It is a life long drastic alteration to your body and unless you are vastly overweight to the point of danger or you are just so emotionally spent you need to take drastic measures, there are other alternatives to making peace with food and also weight loss.

Intuitive eating- you can buy the book on Amazon or google it.

Outside match inside and Newadventure2016:
thanks so much for your comments! I love the term you use about sliders. I tend to be a visual person and I can understand slider: it slides down. And often too easily. So that tells me those are foods where I need to be exceptionally cautious.
im hoping to have my surgery date in August; that's what my surgeon initially said. I'm undergoing the necessary tests and ordering a few Protein items to try. Did you find that things you liked presurgery taste different postsurgery. Trying to understand that part.
Im reading and learning a little t so I hope there will be less to concern me.

There were quite a few things that I liked prior and changed afterwards. Several sugar free items became waaaay to sweet. It's not tied to a specific sugar alternative though. I love a few Splenda items and can't stand other. Loved pickles and now they make me horribly nautious for hours. Many companies like GNC and Sam's Club allow you to return protein if you don't like the flavor. Take advantage of that so you don't get stuck with $100s in unused protein. Try different add ins to vary the flavor of your base protein (like PB2 in chocolate) so you can vary the flavors.

From the day I could start buying Protein shakes, the Premier Protein chocolate have been my favorite and are now just a part of my grocery list. I get them at Walmart (4 for $6.67) and usually drink 1-2 a day. 30 grams of Protein each. I loved bananas before surgery and now after, they make me nauseated (even at 7 months out!). Mostly the rest of foods I like (or dislike) about the same.

Do you have access to a Sam's Club? I pay $16.50 for a 12pk of Premier RTD.

Didn't want to start a new thread but was curious about the restriction when you discovered you could eat more, or feel hunger and what you did about it.

Going on 10 mos post op and I noticed recently... although I still feel my restriction-- I can eat more than I could but its time related. In one sitting I can still only eat the same amount but in an hour I could eat again and again vs before when I ate I had to remind myself to eat again. I went to Fridays yesterday and ordered the traditional wings no sauce. I can still only eat 2-3 before pushing my plate away. However since my hubby met me for lunch, he took the leftovers home for me and I went back to work. In 1 hour I could've eaten more... this is something that I noticed I've been doing and that will have to stop. I haven't gained but I could see it being an issue so I'm glad hubby took them home. Soon as I got home from work I ate a few more which was fine because it had been about 4 hours-- that was my dinner and I was done eating for the day.

The other day I took a leftover box and put it in the car so when I got hungry I could eat a few bites throughout the day. there was steak, lobster tail, a baked potato and broccoli. So of course I ate the lobster tail first. that was Breakfast. it was actually half of a fairly medium sized lobster tail. A few hours later.. I ate a few bites of steak and a bite of my baked potato. that was lunch. About 2 hours later, a few more bites of steak and 1 bite of baked potato (about the equivalent size of those small redskin potatoes.) The fact is I'm not sure that might be such a good idea. something like that would have gone to waste now I'm finishing it off in 2-3 sittings. So I guess I just need to pay closer attention to my intake. My eating intervals and making sure I'm getting my fluids in.

2 hours ago, Candygyrl said:

Didn't want to start a new thread but was curious about the restriction when you discovered you could eat more, or feel hunger and what you did about it.

Going on 10 mos post op and I noticed recently... although I still feel my restriction-- I can eat more than I could but its time related. In one sitting I can still only eat the same amount but in an hour I could eat again and again vs before when I ate I had to remind myself to eat again. I went to Fridays yesterday and ordered the traditional wings no sauce. I can still only eat 2-3 before pushing my plate away. However since my hubby met me for lunch, he took the leftovers home for me and I went back to work. In 1 hour I could've eaten more... this is something that I noticed I've been doing and that will have to stop. I haven't gained but I could see it being an issue so I'm glad hubby took them home. Soon as I got home from work I ate a few more which was fine because it had been about 4 hours-- that was my dinner and I was done eating for the day.

The other day I took a leftover box and put it in the car so when I got hungry I could eat a few bites throughout the day. there was steak, lobster tail, a baked potato and broccoli. So of course I ate the lobster tail first. that was Breakfast. it was actually half of a fairly medium sized lobster tail. A few hours later.. I ate a few bites of steak and a bite of my baked potato. that was lunch. About 2 hours later, a few more bites of steak and 1 bite of baked potato (about the equivalent size of those small redskin potatoes.) The fact is I'm not sure that might be such a good idea. something like that would have gone to waste now I'm finishing it off in 2-3 sittings. So I guess I just need to pay closer attention to my intake. My eating intervals and making sure I'm getting my fluids in.

That all sounds fine to me! What once was one meal, is now at least 3. I see no problem at all. For some, a potato is off-plan, but that just depends on what your plan is.