Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had RNY 2/16/17 and I'm feeling so down and depressed. I see everyone around me eating everything they want and it depresses me that I will never be there again. Never be able to go to pizza Hut and eat pizza and breadsticks or go to Mexican and eat chips and salsa or Taco Bell and get a Mexican pizza and tacos. I'm on stage 3 soft food and all I want is a huge cheese pizza or large plate of chips and salsa. Even though I don't have much of an appetite. I have been struggling daily with my decision and at times wishes I wouldn't of done this to myself. Please someone tell me this gets easier.

This is totally normal. The emotional effect of losing a support mechanism can usually manifest about this stage in the recovery. Some people (like me) it, was frustration and anger. Others were the blues or depression. At this point of your recovery, massive amounts of hormones are being dumped into your bloodstream from the fat reserves that you are burning right now. Yes it gets better, it will just take some time.

The most important thing to do (IMO) is to recognize right now how emotionally attached you are to crappy food. I don't mean that insultingly, but your examples are business that make their money buy purchasing the lowest quality ingredients as cheaply as possible and resell them for as much as the market will bear. Business. bread and pastas are some of the cheapest foodstuffs to make and tortillas and chips probably aren't far behind that. I know, they were my favorite foods too.

Hopefully soon you will realize that you and your health are worth more than the pan pizza The Hut was dishing out.

Well, I can honestly say I was in your exact feeling last year. My RNY was in Nov 2015. But Feb of 2016 I felt that way. Like..... what did I just do to my body? Now as I type this I'm sitting pool side in a bikini feeling amazing. Yes I know what I can and can not eat. And my body responds like I always wish it did. Don't give up and think about your health. It's not worth the pizza slut ( yes I call it that) because it's not worth it. Your body needs healthy nourishment. Not that junk. Some day you'll test the waters and realize it isn't worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

We've all felt that way! Totally normal. Just remember this too shall pass (then it will come back!) I had GNY in June 2015 and probably have done a lot of wrong things, but I'm back on track now. I'm waffling between saying "never again" to certain foods, and not having any foods as off limits. I'm sitting here reading all kinds of posts to get myself back in the right frame of mind. When I was brand new, I thought I'd never eat pizza, Pasta, ice cream etc again. I don't know when that changed. I've had all three since then, but they don't make me feel good emotionally, or physically. One of my lifetime goals was to never make myself sick. The nutritionist at my surgeon's office says to eat right 99% of the time. My new nutritionist is more liberal, I think because I beat myself up when I fall short. Ultimately it's up to me to make the right choices. Anyway, that being said, if it's stressing you out to think you'll never eat X, Y or Z again, try not to think in such absolutes. But since you had gastric bypass, there's a chance certain foods will make you very sick. That doesn't happen to me. Sometimes I wish it would!

RNY 6/8/15 SW 248 LW 175 CW 197 GW 180 "Eat to be the person you want to be."

It gets easier but not immediately. It took me 6 months to reach my happy state when all the problems seemed to melt away.

Honestly, you can have those things, just not in the quantities you had before...and you can't have it all at once.

If I'm going to eat a piece of pizza that's 500 calories, I'm going to be extra good the rest of the week. However, my tiny stomach means I'm full after one piece.

You don't have to be perfect, just 90%. You can have chips. Count out a portion and decrease your calories for the week accordingly.

I'm about a month out from surgery and am feeling some of the same things. One thing I have realized is that I don't miss the food as much as I miss the social aspect of going out to eat with family and friends. Just last night my husband and I went out to a restaurant. I didn't eat hardly anything - a tiny bit of chicken - but I could have cried tears of joy because it felt so normal to be out with him, have a great conversation and a date night. That has been a turning point for me. Realizing that I can still go out but just eat differently.

I am 10 weeks post sleeve. For the first month I was very depressed, anything and everything bothered me. sleeping was an issue, being awake was an issue, when I did sleep I had terrible nightmares and woke up feeling worse than ever. When I was awake I just wanted to sleep. I felt constantly guilty because I have a fabulous support network around me but it just didn't help. As of today, I do feel better, sleeping is easier and the nightmares are fewer but my overall feeling of depression/anxiety remains. I do hope that the more I heal the more better I feel. After all this operation was and continues to be life changing.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The reality is you will likely be able to eat pizza and junk food again. So practice getting healthy and try to look at the 9 months of losing weight as an opportunity not a curse. I eat pizza and ice cream and pretty much anything just smaller portions and nothing carbonated. I'm 18 months post op and still want to lose some more weight so I know I have to exercise and cut out the junk on most days.

I'm 13 days out on a liquid diet ☹️ But all I think ov is my goal would luv a piece ov salmon and some veg right now but one step at a time just got to focus ahead ?? and make small changes to my life to live longer and happier . =worth it ?