Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Approaching my 5 Year Surgiversary, here's my update

Hello all, it's time to get my head back in the game.... In a nutshell, almost 5 years out of my Sleeve surgery.

My highest weight loss was 108 Lbs down (scale @134 lbs), and at current time it's 82 down (scale @160 lbs.). It's time for me to get serious, again, before I blow this good thing.

I've gone through all the highs and lows of the weight loss which comes with sleeve surgery.

The highs were watching the scale every day as it plummeted and recording it with my iPhone. Being able to purchase and wear clothes that I thought were only for skinny, younger girls. Feeling more attractive, and working out like a fiend to keep my new shape. Loving the attention, loving looking in the mirror and seeing myself in a picture and thinking, "hmmm, not bad!".

The lows were almost a marriage break up as I gained confidence and didn't settle for my life the way that it was before weight loss surgery. Almost losing my entire family due to the (bad)choices that I made. The IBS symptoms that I continue to experience to this day. The headaches I get because I don't have the room to drink enough liquids (and eat) , the continual creeping up of the scale weight, a bigger appetite to deal with.

That said, I'm 100% happy that I made this choice to have the surgery, no regrets ever!

I can pretty much eat anything, even the 'dredded' no-list-zone foods like corn, celery, popcorn and nuts (in moderation, of course!). I have about 3-4 glasses of wine per week.

My observation is that the weight kept way down when I was actively exercising. My body was also more toned. My favorite part was that my legs now looked good, and no longer was I thunder thighs with 'cankles'!

My past job allowed me to work out in the gym the company had for employees (which I did on the cold days), and take long, brisk walks during the day on the warmer days. Since coming into a new job with no gym, and my house just blocks away, I find myself going home for lunch and sitting in front of the TV eating my lunch. Then back to my sedentary job. This is racking up the LBS.

Last night I turned the corner. I stepped on the dusty elliptical machine I paid $1700 for, worked out for 35 minutes. Then I started lifting weights and popped in a DVD to start working out with Billy Banks and TaiBo!

I also researched on the internet why my digestive system seemed so out of whack (I had IBS prior to the sleeve), and it appears that I need to adjust my intake of a Probiotic blend of nutrients. I am going to try this, and I'll let you all know how it works for me.

In any case, it's good to be back, and back in touch with the entire reason I started this journey in the first place.... to be healthier, happier, and in a better place.

I'm looking forward to making new friends and seeing how everyone else is doing in their respective journeys too.

Thanks for reading

Good for you! I am working forward after being sleeved over 2.5 years. I never reach my goal weight loss goal.

However, I am healthier than ever. I still have 35 to 45 pounds left to lose. I workout 5 days a week at least. I will get to my weight loss goal by July. Keep moving and do not give up. You have support here.

It sounds like you are a strong fighter. Keep it up! Here is my quote and I say and think this often: These are my achievements, my needs, and desires for myself. I will full fill my heart, body, mind and soul with nothing but a positive attitude to face every challenge and turn it into a way to obtain my goal.

Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am also at almost 4 yrs . I need to get back on track also. I am glad I did the sleeve even though I have gained some.. I just need to start back to my exercise routine. I still don't eat everything like sugar, bread. Pasta, rice and only drink almond milk with my Protein drinks (which I still do every day) . I really am having hard time with gaining back about 20 lbs. Thank you for sharing I don't feel so alone in this.

We will get back to where we want to be all together by sharing.

Edited by Orumom

Best of luck to you too!!!

Thanks so much for posting this update. I am going to a lecture this week about the gastric sleeve and am hoping to get the surgery soon. I have already had the gastric balloon which worked temporarily but as soon as it was removed I slowly gained what I had lost (15kg in year on then off in a year).

I am really interested in peoples experiences 4 or 5 years post surgery. Do you mind me asking how much can you now eat at each meal? Has the surgery still permanently reduced your appetite? Do you have concerns about restretching the new stomach? How did you find the excess skin issue? (depending on your age of course). I am 53 and just curious as to others experiences of these things.

Thanks very much for any help, info you can give me. Im excited but scared as well. I am currently 104kg, BMI 36 .

I'm about 4.5 yrs out and have gained 40lbs, which I have gotten 15lbs off by working out like a crazy person. I wish I would of stuck to the road map I was given 4.5 yrs ago. It's a lot of work to start over, I'm 47, menopausal and it just flat out stinks. I was doing good, until 2 years ago, I had my appendix removed, then my gallbladder removed 2 weeks later and then I had to have hernia surgery and then I got an infection... then depressed & Made the worst decision, I did Not contact my weightlost surgeon & nutritionist & keep up on my bloodwork. Big mistake! Huge! Mistake! Slowly weight gain.... Got depressed & gave up.... until this past March just casually mention to my doctor, have you checked all my labs? Yes, I have checked all your levels. Well have you checked my B12? Yes Have you checked my Vitamin D? Yes, are you sure? Let me check. Oh I have Not! DingDing!!!! (I can't blame the doctor, she isn't a weightlost doctor, she is just a general practioner) my fault! Vitamin D levels were so low, almost had to have an infusion... bad very bad! I could go on and on!! Kicking myself so bad, but all I can do is pick myself up and start over... which I have and now I'm finally in Onederland again. But the skin sagging is horrible, but I'll take it over the health problems and I won't stop again. But it's a day by day struggle. Also very expensive lesson. Other than that, I don't regret the surgery, I regret abusing my Tool.... and not following the rules!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using BariatricPal mobile app