Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This may seem like a weird question. I've never stayed in a hospital before and I have to stay 1-2 nights after my surgery. I know hospital policies may differ but I was wondering are you allowed to put on pajama pants and maybe a shirt and bra after you're settled in your room? Because of who I am I've been thinking about this a lot. If people can let me know their experience that'd be great!

I stayed 2 nights and 3 days and until they take your IV out it is just easier to stay in the hospital gown. I also had an abdominal binder and the nurses will be checking your incisions frequently. I did not feel well the whole time so I could have cared less about how I looked. You're hospital may have different rules/preferences but mine preferred the hospital gown.

Hope this helps and God bless you and keep you! :D:1331_v_tone2:

I agree, it is easiest just to stay in your hospital gown. Bring your clothes in a bag (they give you a bag to keep your belongings in).... and if you want to put on your bra and underwear when you are ready to leave they hospital you can.

If you aren't comfortable in the hospital gown, then bring a robe to cover up when you walk the halls. Keep in mind you will have the IV in though. When I walked the halls, they gave me an extra large hospital gown to put on backwards so that my back section wouldn't be exposed. It worked out great.

Or you could just take a T Shirt nighty :)

Oh and best wishes for the surgery and a speedy recovery !!

I changed into loose fitting sweats and a singlet with a long-sleeved t-shirt over top for most of my stay. Everyone on my floor changed into their own preferred clothes, only 1 person remained in the hospital gown the entire time (but she was pretty sick). You can unhook the IV bag and put in through your sleeve. But...I guess a lot depends on what your hospital prefers.

I bought my own bathrobe and slippers and wore it the entire time after surgery when walking the halls. Left in a pair of loose sweatpants and button up flannel shirt (went for soft and comfortable)

I just am very modest and don't like feeling like I'm not wearing clothes. Also I wouldn't feel comfortable walking the halls in just a gown. I really hope my hospital allows me to change. I understand why someone who is very sick in the hospital needs to wear a gown for accessibility purposes but if I'm stable post op why can't I be dressed. I guess I'll ask when I go for my pre op blood work on tuesday

I was in for 2 nights and 3 days as well, I changed into my own night gown on day two after they removed the IV. IT was easier to stay in the hospital gown prior to the IV coming out.

I did however put my bra and panties on as soon as I was able to. I had a catheter for the first day or so but as soon as I was walking to the bathroom on my own my own clothing went on.

Unfortunately, it's a lot of work to get into regular clothing with an IV and a Cath so you might have to stick it out in the gown until they get rid of those items. Also with the drain tube I didn't want anything tight on.

I was allowed to change the morning after my surgery when they took out my Cath and IV. When I walked the night of my surgery, they just put another gown around my back so everything was covered. I was still so doped up that I didn't care much about anything but getting back to bed.

I changed into some little yoga shorts and a t-shirt 3 hours after surgery. I don't do hospital gowns!! I felt far more comfortable when it came time to do my walking. I stayed 1 night overnight and went home the next afternoon!

Banded 2010 weight:327
Sleeved 12/28/16 weight:253
Currently 220.7 lbs
106 lbs down!!
Heather in Texas

Well good news for me. I asked the nurse at my pre op appointment and she said you are allowed to wear regular clothes post op. So I'm happy about this. So I'll be sure to pack something comfortable to wear around underwear the hospital

I took pj's and slippers with me. Ended up being so nauseous that I could have cared less what I was wearing. Nurses gave me a very large gown to wear backwards when walking the halls and I wore my new pj's and slippers home from the hospital

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App