Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have You Always Had a Weight Problem?

I'm just curious for those seeking the VSG. Have you always had a weight problem or has this been something you developed in adulthood?

I've been obese since childhood and lost a significant amount of weight (170 pounds) using Weight Watchers about five years ago, but gained it back and then some. Keeping weight off is definitely a challenge!

This would be a good poll question.

Yes, I had a 33 BMI when I graduated from high school.

I've been healthy to overweight most of my life, obese about 2 years ages 35 - 36; 10 years ages 42-52, then the past year. I'm 54.

I have been obese from birth-lol. I can remember wearing boy husky jeans in the third grade. I graduated from high school over 300lbs. I am the 12th child and all of my siblings are obese! I am so thankful for the surgery! Now three of my siblings have scheduled the seminar. I am excited about the future for us all....Take care

I had 'puppy fat' as a child but wasn't really overweight. When I reached my teens, I was about 116 llbs and stayed that was until I was pregnant with my first son at 27 years old. Six months after that birth I was pregnant again and a year after the second birth, my weight sky rocketed when my thyroid stopped working. This was about 30 years ago. It took a further 8 years to get pregnant again and he weight 13 llbs at birth!

Not an excuse, just the facts. I hate auto immune diseases. :(

Kate

I was actually a scrawny little kid. My weight problem began when I hit puberty. I had a couple of nice years where I had just enough weight on me to be curvy and desirable, but by the end of high school I was obese.

My BMI has been at or above obese my entire adult life. I was an average sized child and started gaining weight as a teen. My weight got out of control after high school.

yes and no

When I was in high school and thrown off the football team for chewing out the coach I went through a huge weight gain -- coincided with drinking tons of soda and such

Normal weight was 180, but shot up to 240, but easily lost it within a few months doing tons of situps, pushups, and eating nothing but a couple Peanut Butter and jelly sandwiches a day.

Weight was fine for years until a post-relationship depression went on (when you work hard for years to keep a relationship going then decide fuck it), in my mid-late 20s, a bunch of health issues arised and shot up again but instead of from 180 to 240 in a matter of a year or so, went up to 360 in 5 years. So I'm here in my early-mid 30s with newly diagnosed stage 3 fibrosis and type 2 diabetes.

I'm not accustomed to weighing a lot so the changes I went through were all debilitating to me. Apparently after MRI's and such I had fractured my spine as a kid but never knew it until I had this weight gain, then moving to another house caused me serious injury to where I need facet injections in my lower lumbar (soon to be some sort of ablation) as simply taking out the trash caused extreme amounts of pain to my back.

In the US, we're not educated enough how utterly useless carbs and especially sugar are in the diet, and how easily we can get into dangerous territory without thinking about it. Given how it's turned into a serious societal issue where kids in their 20s are having fibrotic/cirrhotic livers without even being alcoholics or drug addicts, it really points to an education being necessary. Since being in Canada, I've noticed the education is a little better, but still needs improvement. It's definitely a western problem, where we're taught to be good little excess consumers with little regard for our health. It's up to us to change that.

My surgeon decided on a 12 week pre-op liquid diet that I started Feb 1st, far longer than I see anyone else with, already I went from 350 pounds to 314. I'm thinking if I really have to go all 12 weeks (OR date already confirmed April 20) I'm likely gonna be in the 200s before surgery. Some have said why not be on this miserable diet for so and such amount of time to get back down to normal weight, but sometimes for us mechanisms of hunger (satiety) we can't control are required to be corrected. In my case, the surgery should accomplish this. Also, a very important point, that for many of us who "become" this way, it's up to us to recognize where we screwed up and work to change it. Personal responsibility is a must.

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

18 minutes ago, bekah7482 said:

I was born a 10lb baby and never looked back. I have had weight issues my whole life. Time to change that.

lol! I was 10 1/2 lbs! I guess I was born obese!

No. I was a slim child until we moved to a new town and I was miserable. I ate my way to pudgy, and stayed that way through college. My weight fluctuated from a size 10 to 18 through my twenties. I lost down to a 6 right before I married. Then it just started to climb and climb. 10 pounds a year for more than a decade.