Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

61 Yrs & Surgery is Tomorrow

Normal, yes.

But don't sweat it. I had a sleeve done 1 year ago. I was 67. I have since lost over 100 pounds and I am in the best health I have been in 40 years. All my numbers (BP, BMI, and others all normal. No type 2 diabetes, no sore knees. Life is better. Good luck to you.

Thank you so much for reply I g and sharing your success. After looking through the posts I was surprised at the low wt losses and backsliding. I want/need to practice mindful eating going forward and your success is proof it can be done.

Certainly one has to still watch the diet even after surgery. The sleeve is a tool, not the cure. That being said, although my head tells me I am hungry, I can't eat much. So the intake is restricted. But you still have to moderate your diet some and watch what you eat. I have seen some cases where some weight has returned. So far for me I am steady (maybe fluctuate 2-3 pounds or so, up & down). Seems after 1 year the loss part is pretty much over. Now in maintenance.

Like i said, for now don't stress. Get past the surgery, recover and then follow your instructions.

Normal - Absolutely.

I cried when they wheeled me back because I was so scared. 4 MONTHS LATER...totally worth the risk.

People I've read about and people I know also had the surgery. Most have had great success but a few backtracked. After getting the surgery behind me, that is my biggest fear...going through all this and not being successful. I have a lifetime of bad habits that have led to these 293 lbs that I need to battle. My son is also morbidly obese and I want to be an inspiration to him, as well.

18 hours ago, Jeanne56 said:

My surgery is tomorrow and along with being excited to start this phase of my life, I'm also terrified of everything that can go wrong...including failure and health issues or even death from surgery. Are these feelings normal?

Wishing you a quick and easy recovery. By now you have had your surgery and it will be all up hill from here. A new journey in life. Very exciting. Hope your doing well.

Good luck to all us over 60 folks. Here is to a long, slim, healthy life after surgery :)

I know your surgery well be successful. Would love to hear from you. My surgery is Monday and I have those same feelings and also 61 years young!

I made it through surgery and at back home with my beloved dog, sipping the always constant Water and even doing some laundry:) last night was really rough but its amazing how well I feel now. I still have some very manageable pain from surgery and gas. To be truthful, the worst part of last night was my bum shoulder aching from lying on my back. Now, my worst moments are getting down my crushed meds. But...its all part of the journey and something I'm thrilled to share with all the wonderful ppl on this site!

Congrats! So happy to hear you're doing well. Helps me feel better. Lets keep in touch[emoji4]

How did you make out with surgery? Pls respond when you feel up to it.

Had my surgery 13 hours ago. Feel pretty good some slight pain but managed with tylenol. Very tired but up walking and waiting yo grt rid of the gas. As of now only burbing. Looking forward to going home tomorrow. ?

My surgery is tomorrow and along with being excited to start this phase of my life, I'm also terrified of everything that can go wrong...including failure and health issues or even death from surgery. Are these feelings normal?

I understand your fear completely. I am 58 and going for my last consult with the surgeon on 3/3. I am a low BMI, however hbp, gerd, sleep apena, and pre diabetic. I will be having rny because of gerd. I originally want the sleeve but not willing to chance the gerd that can follow sleeve surgery. Its really scary as time grows closer. One cant help but think, am I trading some health issues for other, different types of health issues. Im gonna see how it goes with the surgeon on friday. Best of luck to you. Keep us posted ok??