Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pros and Cons of Gastric Sleeve Surgery

I'm nervous too. Actually I go back and forth between being really excited and almost picking up the phone to cancel.

But... I'm not doing this to lose weight. It is all about health. I'm a nurse and I see so many obese patients. One day it was like my eyes opened. I saw all the obesity caused health problems, the medications, the mobility issues, etc and realized that is how I will end up unless I do something about it. And I've got 5 kids to look after and be there for. I've noticed lately that getting up off the floor after playing with the kids is getting harder and I don't want to miss out on their lives and even more importantly, I don't want them to miss out on having an active involved mom.

Wow! Thats true! That is so inspiring and it feels like a relief to know that other people feel the same way as me. One day I feel really excited and the next I start thinking maybe I shouldn't do this. However, I feel like I need to write a list of pros and cons to keep me motivated. Im a nurse too only I work with neonates. Lol. Thank you for your response @1poundatatime

FutureFitGirl

1 minute ago, MelissaRose24 said:

Wow! Thats true! That is so inspiring and it feels like a relief to know that other people feel the same way as me. One day I feel really excited and the next I start thinking maybe I shouldn't do this. However, I feel like I need to write a list of pros and cons to keep me motivated. Im a nurse too only I work with neonates. Lol. Thank you for your response @1poundatatime

emoji106.png FutureFitGirl

I worked mat for 9 years :)

Oh really? Wow! Thats cool. I work Newborn Nursery and I used to do NICU. @1poundatatime I have no kids yet and I think it may be because of my weight issues. I only got pregnant twice and both times had miscarriages

FutureFitGirl

It's good that your concerned. This is a decision not to take lightly. It will change your entire life.

I personally find it odd when people call it a tool! Your not buying or getting something from a hardware store to help you loose weight. Your permanently changing your gastrointestinal tract to lose weight. As result there may be serious consequences.

You may escape obesity related illnesses. But you may face complications from the surgery shortterm or long-term.

Are you prepared to face them? Are you prepared to no longer eat in the same way for the rest of your life?

Eating is a part of every aspect of our lives. It's a part of every social interaction.

This is a significant sacrifice. If your not ready, there's no shame in stepping back.

All the best

1 minute ago, Please said:

I was a Practical Nurse (Hemo Dialysis )for 14 years, then stayed at home after the kids.

Im going to Mexico, well researched OCC. My BMI Is 31, I'm hoping to loose 50 lbs.

Do you have significant comorbidities?

Looking forward to having a great tool. Following the diet to a T.

Edited by Please

No, I just can't loose this excess weight, and I've been overweight since my 20's, I'm 41 now.

Wow. I don't want to sound harsh. But it's rather insane to remove 85% of your stomach for only 50 pounds.

Please consider temporary procedures like the Gastric Balloon that are designed for low bmi folks.

I need to lose 145 pounds! I

You will lose the 50 pounds very slowly as well due to your low bmi

Good luck

I've had a lot of people around me do it for the same weight, the balloon has really low success rates. The Sleeve has pretty good long term success with the lower weight loss needed.

I've tried every diet, sometimes I loose 20lbs, then I gain it back in a month, after starving for a month....well everyone knows the cycle.

I've had a lot of people around me do it for the same weight, the balloon has really low success rates. The Sleeve has pretty good long term success with the lower weight loss needed.

I've tried every diet, sometimes I loose 20lbs, then I gain it back in a month, after starving for a month....well everyone knows the cycle.

Best wishes. Do you feel that some of the life threatening complications like leaks, severe gerd and strictures are worth those 50 pounds?

For sure I do, or I wouldn't be doing it.

it doesn't really matter if your 50lbs or 150lbs overweight, we all feel the same way about ourselves, 50lbs is making me short of breath my knees are sore, I gave up skiing , I don't go swimming in front of people I know, as I don't want eyes on me. I have a friend smaller then me who had a sleeve 3 years ago, and she's out on a winter hike in Banff right now.

Sometimes people who are severely overweight , have a "your not big enough attitude" but as with most things in life ,it's how you feel about yourself, & I'm choosing to nip it in the butt now, before I need a gastric sleeve & a duodenal Switch all while being heavier and making more concerns for surgery, and then loose skin surgery.

Edited by Please