Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pros and Cons of Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Guys im getting super scared the closer I get to getting this surgery. So scared that Im starting to think maybe I should back out. I don't know what to think. Everyone I talk to says negative thinks about the surgery. I don't know what to do anymore. Please help tell me some pros and cons of getting this surgery. Thanks.

FutureFitGirl

This is a huge, life changing decision. It is good you aren't taking it lightly.

Take some time imagining your future life.
Do you see ill health or good health? Plump or not-so-plump?
Who is the real you?
If you had surgical complications
Or Obesity related health problems,
Which would be worse?

Personally I am 38 years old. My life has entered a downward spiral of obesity-related conditions. Without the surgery, there is no "up".

If you are young, and haven't exhausted the diet/exercise train, and have no physical complaints, then maybe it is premature to pursue the surgery.

You have to dig deep to figure out your path. Do not let others dissuade you from doing what is right for the YOU. Those people don't have to live in your body, and they won't have to live with the consequences/benefits of the surgery.

Hi Melissa, I choose to have the surgery because of family history of high blood pressure and diabetes. I've always been on the bigger size throughout my life.
I had children and packed on the pounds and now I'm at a point in my life that I want to be there for my kids and not be just a statistic.
I'm excited and scared but the more research I do the more comfortable and expectations I have.
I have not told family or friends except my husband and my mom and one friend because I honestly don't care what anyone has to say.
I want to be healthy and love all of me!

Thank you@Berry78 and@Amethyst Acinom you guys give amazing advice and have made me start thinking a little differently. My Father had high blood pressure and diabetes and now my blood pressure is starting to go high and im only 28. Im trying to stay off of anti-hypertensives and ear healthy. However, I do want a health me in the future. I think im letting what ppl think and have to say bother me too much. You are right they are not the ones who have to live i. My body or deal with the consequences. Thank you guys so much.

[emoji106] FutureFitGirl

Hi Melissa Rose, I can't encourage you about the surgery as I've only just decided this pathway, but part of me getting ready for it is getting as much information as I can, the good and the bad.

So, I've talked to my GP, have an upcoming appointment to see a bariatric surgeon to discuss options/ask questions, have joined forums such as this etc. I've also been on Instagram and followed heaps of people and seen the changes they have made.

Another thing I did, and now I can't remember where I read this, was buy a book through Amazon.com - it's called "The emotional first aid kit" by Cynthia Alexander - I found that book to be really helpful explaining everything and an easy read too. I'm sure there are plenty of other books just as good, but this one was great.

I'm also doing a bit more research and have found an upcoming seminar being run by nutritionists about weight and emotional eating, nothing to do with bariatric surgery, but I'm going to prepare myself for the future.

I'm also considering going to see a counsellor and/or psychologist - mostly because I know a lot of my overeating stems from pain in my past and now it is an ingrained habit and I want to get over it so that if I do proceed with the sleeve surgery it's not a waste of time or I start another type of addiction to cope with "life" (I used to smoke too and managed to give that up only to take up food - sigh...).

From what I have heard, it is normal to feel very nervous - I mean, this is a huge step and a huge financial outlay too (well, it is in Australia anyway) and the best thing, I think, is to get as much info as you can.

You could always put off your op for a while if you need to.

Good luck - hope all goes well for you xxx

Edited by Iwannabethin!

I feel the same. 2 days ago I was convinced I didn't want to go through with it and now I am again happy to be close to the end of my 6 month visit. I think it is normal to second guess big decisions.

I'm so glad I had this surgery, and for me (at only two months post op) there are zero regrets. I had my moments where I really questioned my decision prior to surgery, and one little panic incident in the hospital over making a huge, irreversible change to my body that I couldn't go back on. But everything was okay. I'm not going to lie, the recovery sucked -and this coming from someone who didn't have any pain once I left the hospital, but it's major surgery your body is recovering from with no food for energy. Of course recovery sucks. But once you get passed that (for me it took two weeks), it's smooth sailing. I don't even really feel like I've had surgery at this point, and eating less is not something I have an issue with.

I'm 9 weeks out and I am very satisfied. I've lost about 40+ pounds and I feel healthier, more active etc. not sleepy all the time either. Get the surgery for your health and a better you! :)

Take your time and research it, look through out the app at different topics.

I have not had my consult yet.. but I will on the 14th. I have not told anyone except my daughter, my husband and one coworker.. its no ones business. I am doing this for me. Yes I am worried about all the complications I am reading about. But the alternatives are so much worse. I have always struggled with my weight. I have tried everyone only to gain it all back and then some.

I want to be there for my kids.

Here's to your health! :)

Thank you so much lisalisa5678 you are right and it is none of their business. I have tried a lot of diets too and all failed or I lost weight only to gain it back. Thats why I wanna do this surgery now. I feel like if I don't do it now I will just end up doing it later. Thank you for your advice.

[emoji106] FutureFitGirl

Im still getting used to it. I still have to remind myself every day that it happened. But i wouldn't trade it. Im in the 180s now. I would have never gotten here without the sleeve. I still over eat by accident and am miserable for almost an hour. Im cold ALL the time. Im probably losing my hair right now. I really can't think of much more than that. I still wish i could have done it without surgery but i needed something to keep me accountable. That i couldn't run from. Over all im pleased. I've lost over 60lbs in less than 5 months. I don't sweat i barely if ever snore anymore i just walked up an incline the other day and didn't feel like i was dying. I barely noticed it. I was so proud of myself. It's the little things. Im waiting for the weight worry to lessen but everything in time.