Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today's the day!!!!

54 minutes ago, ceow said:

I had my surgery Tues 2/21. Went home late Friday night. Back in under urgent admit Saturday. Congestive heart failure with pneumonitis! I began hallucinating couldn't catch my breath and in unbearable pain because I was unable to take pill or liquid meds and unable to keep an ice chip down. Mon. 27. I want to feel good again. I know this was an informed decision. I have worked in health field for my entire life. Not sure what I could have done differently. I probably won't post again for a while.

Ugh...I feel for you. I spent a few days in ICU due to some complications from surgery. Despite the bumpy start things have steadily improved. Hope it does the same for you! Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

I had my surgery Tues 2/21. Went home late Friday night. Back in under urgent admit Saturday. Congestive heart failure with pneumonitis! I began hallucinating couldn't catch my breath and in unbearable pain because I was unable to take pill or liquid meds and unable to keep an ice chip down. Mon. 27. I want to feel good again. I know this was an informed decision. I have worked in health field for my entire life. Not sure what I could have done differently. I probably won't post again for a while.

I hope you're feeling better soon! This must be very scary for you.

Hello

Sorry to hear you not feeling good. Please be strong and know this is a process. I also had many complications. Please please hang in there. If you want to talk, please let me know. You are not alone in this. You will get better. This is a process and everyone is different. I went through a year of hell and still go through something but it's getting better. You will also get better. Be positive! It's very important to speak positive even though it's not easy. Don't lose hope. You will get through this and don't be so hard n yourself. I know what you are going through. We all here to help you. Feel better. ????

Well, I posted that I had to go back in the hosp a second time. I came home and was then readmitted 2 days later with horribly infected incision site. 3 admissions in 1.5 wk. I have been home for 2 days now. It's the first time since my surg date that I don't feel like I'm going to die or need to go back. Thank you, Jesus! Tomorrow will be 2 wk out from surg. It will get better![emoji4]

Well, I still have an open incision. Thank goodness for my daughter, who has been a willing participant in removing and repacking the incision. Home health comes 3 days a wk and they have been great. I feel much better than I did 2 wk ago, but still have lots of healing to do. My weight loss has been approx a lb a day. I want it to go faster! Glad to be alive, though.

Just started back on this site for quite a while and came across your story. So glad your doing better. I'm scheduled to have my surgery done at Emory as well. Looking back is there anything you would have done differently and are you happy with your surgeon?

I am in the waiting room at Emory Hospital-Atlanta. I am so hungry! Will be in the best sleep ever in a little while. I'm anxious about this. I have had mult abdominal surgeries and was never really nervous. I had an illness a yr. ago and was in the hospital. I was coded because I went into renal & respiratory failure. That worries me now, but more than anything, my oldest daughter is pregnant with our first grand baby, a boy. That has been the center of my thoughts for the last few months. Will check in afterwards. Good luck and prayers for me, please!
Carol

I'm writing this on my phone at 2:30 at night. I have a really hard time sleeping. I honestly just saw everyone's posts. I apologize for not responding. I was reluctant to give all the details of my surgery and complications following. I have now been home for 3 weeks. From 2/21-4/9, I was home a total of 7 days. 4 admissions total. The last infection required another incision with drains. With all this being said, I have seen the surgeon every wk for a while. I had to go to a hepatologist yesterday, who is part of the transplant team at Emory. During my initial surgery they took a liver biopsy. It is inflamed and scarred. Having to follow up with labs and MRI. Saw my pcp today. We had a very long discussion. His words were, "I have never seen any of my patients have such severe complications with gen surg or the bari surg! You have paid a high price in pain and suffering, but I believe you are in the clear now. Hold on to it!" I most definitely agreed. The positive is, I am down exactly 50lbs since 2/21. I am 179. I would like to get back down in the 140's. The funny part is, I'm wearing clothes that I haven't worn for some time, but I don't see the difference in the mirror. I guess it's a mind thing. Thanks to you all!

Just started back on this site for quite a while and came across your story. So glad your doing better. I'm scheduled to have my surgery done at Emory as well. Looking back is there anything you would have done differently and are you happy with your surgeon?

No. I would have done it. I would NEVER have done the bypass or any bari surg, but I had such severe reflux that I had aspirated and continued to have mult episodes of pneumonia. Just months before my surg, I was in the hospital for passing out, hitting the back of my head on the brick hearth. 17 staples and admitted. I aspirated while in the hosp and was coded. I went into respiratory and renal failure because of reflux. The surg was going to fix the weight and reflux so I did it. I'm those odds that the doctors tell you about, like there is a 2% chance of stroke, blood clots, etc. That's me for whatever reason. The first 3 adm, I was at midtown. The last time, he sent me to main campus. Both facilities were awesome with great staff as well. I am happy with the surgeon. Who is doing yours?