Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PLEASE HELP ME!!

I am going to post my original post and then add to it! PLEASE READ

Hey All! I had a huge change today in regards to my health. From my original post I was in the ER on 2/13 and I was told I had a iliac obstruction. The hospital told me that I would be admitted and if within 48 hours it has not moved they would cut it out. I waited until in the am and still no X-ray. I was getting annoyed and called everyone I could call. Finally someone from the administrative staff came to my room. I was told that I needed more X-rays. I was pissed beyond belief and refused them. I signed out AMA. I headed back to my hospital Cleveland Clinic Weston. There I was brought in immediately and given fluids and pain meds. I did end up doing another X-ray by my surgeons request. So I just had my X-ray and will be updated later tonight. I will keep everyone updated! Oh one last thing. Each time I had them put in an IV my site would swell and hurt. They tried 3x and all failed. So when I was complaining about pain I wasn't even getting it was because all the meds were stuck there and I wasn't getting the meds. Uggggg

I made it to the Cleveland Clinic after checking out AMA and ended up checking out AMA as well from Cleveland Clinic. I am beginning to think I am losing my mind. While at CC (cleveland clinic) I did a colonoscopy prep as my dr said I was completely impacted. Also all pain meds were taken away as the dr said it's only making it worse. When I saw my surgeon he told me that he would make sure I was well and he would do anything to help me. Well yesterday one of the fellows came in and said oh we are going to keep you until Sunday to make sure then you can go home. I was so pissed I left AMA. Does anyone think I'm crazy? Don't you think he should of did surgery to look inside to find out what's going on? Now about an hour ago I called CC Bc my pain is back in full force and I have not had a BM on my own as of yet. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know if you have insurance or not but when you leave AMA the insurance company can refuse to pay your bill and you can be charged. Don't know if anyone explained it to you. You need to stay long enough for them to help you. Getting mad and leaving is not doing you any good. Come Sunday if you still hadn't had a bowel movement chances are they would have kept you. Might want to purchase an over the counter enema. Sometimes obstructions can work themselves out. I wouldn't be so quick to have surgery. The goal is least invasive first. I don't think you're crazy but possibly a little rash on your decisions. I wish you the best.

I'm an RN - signing out AMA can make your insurance company refuse payment and then the bill is your responsibility. Also signing out AMA signals to your care team that you don't want help.

If you're in pain and have an obstruction you need to stay in the hospital until it's resolved.

We don't usually jump to surgery as a "let's see what's going on in here" it's why we have CT scans and contrast dye, so not to be curt but you're getting pissed for no reason and cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Go back, apologize, and hopefully you have a forgiving care team who chalks up your impatience to nerves or stress.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You asked if anyone thinks your crazy? I do. I would never and I mean never check myself out of a hospital against doctors orders. To me that is crazy. Maybe I'm crazy.
If you have doubts in treatment ask questions. If your not comfortable with one docs answers or treatment plan then ask for second opinion. Any surgery comes with risks. Surgeon's don't cut you open unless they have too. Very rarely do they have to cut you open to see what is happening. Sounds like docs and you know what is happening. You're backed up. This can turn into a life threatening situation. If I was you I'd immediately go back to hospital. Apologize for your behavior. Blame it on your pain or whatever and FOLLOW doctors orders. Good luck to you and I hope you feel better soon.

It's awful when you're not feeling well and the hospital doesn't seem to care. In reading your posts, it looks like the first hospital did not have their act together at all. The Cleveland Clinic, however, responded timely, did appropriate tests and treatments, and were quite reasonable. It sounds like you should go back for medical care. I am also an RN and agree with the others that this can be serious and that conservative measures are tried first (that's a good thing).