Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's Your Goal Weight Gift to Yourself?

14 hours ago, biginjapan said:

This is a big issue here in Japan, as tourist numbers keep rising. A lot of people have tattoos, and want to experience certain aspects of Japanese culture, like onsens, where tattoos are usually a no-go. The government is suggesting that these places allow tourists with tattoos in, but I don't like this concept since it discriminates against the average Japanese person who does have tattoos and is not yakuza. If you live here, there are other concerns, like using swimming pools. I don't really use either, but after I lose weight, I may want to more, so getting a tattoo will be a big decision as it will impact me a bit living here.

That's interesting that relaxing the "no tattoo" rule is being discussed for tourism purposes. My tattoo is pretty small and fairly easily covered up, but obviously there's no covering anything in an onsen, so I have not been able to experience that aspect of Japanese culture. I know there are some onsens (in Tokyo, at least) that do allow tattoos, but was told that they are often yakuza-affiliated and should be avoided by tourists.

Do you find the attitudes toward tattoos to be more of a generational thing? Do younger Japanese people have less of a negative view?

I hadn't thought about a goal gift, but maybe I should. :)

I am fairly well covered with ink, 75% of my back is covered with a maneki-neko (lucky cat) sitting in a lotus with baby lucky cats, some smaller pieces on the upper back, inner ankle, and working on sleeves on both arms. Left forearm is 100% covered, upper is 50%. Right forearm is 50% covered with upper 100%. Two diffferent artists for each arm. Both artists have been pleased with how everything is holding up (yay for the gym) but want to wait until I am in maintenance to get back to work on large pieces.
I'd love to get a chest piece but now that I have a little less meat, the appeal is fading. I can sit well, but knowing that numbing cream is involved and it will wear off scares me.

Believe it or not, I have a very, very, very normal job working in analysis and have been with the same company for over 20 years. If I have long sleeves on, you'd never guess what's under there.

A cruise sounds like a great goal gift. I've done Panama Canal and Carribean, so Alaska might be something to consider.

23 hours ago, Megall9 said:

I'm not at my end goal, but I got my phoenix to Celebrate losing 100 lbs. I started the tat in January with the outline, and got the colouring done yesterday. I'm so in love with it! Not sure what my goal gift to myself will be yet. I don't know how to make the images just thumbnails, sorry!

celebrate100lbsGONEfeb22.2017.2.jpg

celebrate100lbsGONEfeb22.2017.jpg

Oh wow!!!! SO BEAUTIFUL! That's gorgeous.

23 hours ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

I was supposed to buy myself some diamond earrings for getting under 200 pounds, but I have been under 200 pounds for 2 months, and I still haven't done it. I am all shopped out after shopping constantly for 1.5 years.

Right now I am leaning towards a mantra Bracelet.

For some reason, I can sympathize with you right now about being all shopped out. I usually get burned out shopping during the holiday season so I can totally relate. Hope you enjoy your nice break from shopping and get yourself some earrings soon.

21 hours ago, Berry78 said:

My tat is on my upper arm. Very few people know I even have one.

Is that the intention?

23 hours ago, biginjapan said:

This is a big issue here in Japan, as tourist numbers keep rising. A lot of people have tattoos, and want to experience certain aspects of Japanese culture, like onsens, where tattoos are usually a no-go. The government is suggesting that these places allow tourists with tattoos in, but I don't like this concept since it discriminates against the average Japanese person who does have tattoos and is not yakuza. If you live here, there are other concerns, like using swimming pools. I don't really use either, but after I lose weight, I may want to more, so getting a tattoo will be a big decision as it will impact me a bit living here.

Then my husband wouldn't be well received. LOL Seems like a huge impact to living there whether or not to get a tattoo.

19 hours ago, blev said:

I will spoil myself with a cruise emoji177.png

Have you been on one? I haven't. I'd love to take a cruise some day. Where would you go? or do you have a cruise in mind already?

18 hours ago, bekah7482 said:

I have a tattoo planned. Might also take a trip too. Once under 250 I plan on skydiving.

More power to you on that skydiving! Takes guts....lol Have fun with it!

5 hours ago, vamping said:

I hadn't thought about a goal gift, but maybe I should. :)

I am fairly well covered with ink, 75% of my back is covered with a maneki-neko (lucky cat) sitting in a lotus with baby lucky cats, some smaller pieces on the upper back, inner ankle, and working on sleeves on both arms. Left forearm is 100% covered, upper is 50%. Right forearm is 50% covered with upper 100%. Two diffferent artists for each arm. Both artists have been pleased with how everything is holding up (yay for the gym) but want to wait until I am in maintenance to get back to work on large pieces.
I'd love to get a chest piece but now that I have a little less meat, the appeal is fading. I can sit well, but knowing that numbing cream is involved and it will wear off scares me.

Believe it or not, I have a very, very, very normal job working in analysis and have been with the same company for over 20 years. If I have long sleeves on, you'd never guess what's under there.

A cruise sounds like a great goal gift. I've done Panama Canal and Carribean, so Alaska might be something to consider.

You've got the tats, the cruises, probably the car too, eh? LOL I'm glad your tats are holding up. One reason why I decided to wait on my lace tat is to lose weight first, not knowing if it'll hold up or not. Hope you find something nice to give yourself.

19 hours ago, MeltsIntoWonder said:

That's interesting that relaxing the "no tattoo" rule is being discussed for tourism purposes. My tattoo is pretty small and fairly easily covered up, but obviously there's no covering anything in an onsen, so I have not been able to experience that aspect of Japanese culture. I know there are some onsens (in Tokyo, at least) that do allow tattoos, but was told that they are often yakuza-affiliated and should be avoided by tourists.

Do you find the attitudes toward tattoos to be more of a generational thing? Do younger Japanese people have less of a negative view?

In my experience, young people have no problem with tattoos (I teach university students). But they admit that their parents and grandparents do - I've sometimes been asked to check the English on a "No Tattoo" policy that a student's family is putting up. Puts me in a difficult place as I want to help them, but not for something like this that is discriminatory.

At the moment, if you have a small tattoo, you may be given a smallish bandage to put over it while you are in the onsen. Of course, the only reason you would have that bandage is because you have a tattoo... One option if you really want to experience an onsen is to book a private one.

In any event, I'm not a huge fan of onsen -- the Water is never as hot as my own bath, I don't find it relaxing to bath with other people, I don't like people looking at me because I'm a foreigner/fat, etc. (not that they do, but I feel like they do). I've done it because my friends like to go, but none of my current friends are into it, which is a relief.

19 hours ago, MeltsIntoWonder said:

Edited by biginjapan
double post

This is a great post! I'm glad I came across it. Every time I went on a diet I made a list of weight loss goal gifts (usually first ten pounds, under 200, ten pounds from goal, then goal, then staying at goal for a year, then five years- that was a trip to Greece) but for some reason I didn't do it this time. Some items were spa pedicure, massage, diamond earrings, new tat. I never made it past the massage! I'm 10-15 (maybe 20) pounds from where I want to be, so maybe I'll decide on a good final goal gift. I want to get a paw with a halo over my heart. We put our rescue baby to sleep last May, so it's to honor him. I gained weight back after we did that. I'm getting that tat no matter what, so a tat may be out. I also need plastics (boobs for sure!) but it will take a while to save for that, and I'm going to want my gift immediately! Instant gratification got me to almost 250lbs this time. I was 288 in 1999, 188 in 2002, then got back up to 272 in 2010. I lost a lot of weight again (for the tenth time!) but crept up to 240 in 2015. Anyway, sorry for the rambling. Maybe I'll finally get my eyelashes when I lose ten pounds. I have a limited budget so I have to take that into consideration.

RNY 6/8/15 SW 248 LW 175 CW 197 GW 180 "Eat to be the person you want to be."

Knee high leather boots. Ones that zip all the way up.

I thought of one! I have a beautiful watch that stopped working and doesn't fit anymore. I'll get it repaired at goal weight :)