Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very little weight loss!

I'm 30 days post op and I have only lost 12 lbs... Is this usual?

I know everyone is different... But... All the posts I see have much more rapid weight loss.

I'm not getting in enough liquids... Only 35-45 oz per day. ( everything tastes terrible!) Could that make a difference?

Any advice?? ?

Ive been told u need to get at least 64 oz per day. Thats 8oz for 8 hrs. Hope that helps. I haven't had surgery yet, but that is what I was told in my pre-op class

Not getting in enough fluids & Protein can definitely impact things. How are you doing on your Protein intake? Don't forget Protein shakes count towards your daily fluids.

Everything might taste bad right now but if your new stomach can take more liquids u should go for it. Forget about how everything taste now, that's hopefully just temporary

The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

Weight loss is achieved after surgery through meal volume control. You begin at 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal and gradually over the next year and a half increase the volume to 1 cup per meal. With this minuscule amount of food, it is next to impossible to meet your Protein daily requirements by food alone, so therefore you need to rely on supplements such as protein shakes.

Be willing to experiment. After surgery, my taste buds changed dramatically. Even Water changed. In the hospital it tasted excessively chlorinated and I could not drink it. So I experimented. sugar free popsicles became my best friend. Some individuals find hot or cold can help with fluids. For me, I found that I could tolerate flavored water. So I began using Crystal Light. I also found a new drink Bai which I liked cold. In the winter, I found that I tolerate Hot drinks such as piping hot cocoa. But you have to use the "No Sugar Added" variety. Also fine English teas were very good.

12 pounds in a month may not seem like a lot your first month post op but 12lbs is pretty great! @JamesMarusek gave some great advice. A lot of what I have to contribute is already in that post.

But seriously - Right now focus on getting in your fluids, Vitamins and Protein as best as you can. Sip, sip, sip... Trying different things is important.

As you are able to give your body more of the 3 key things, move more and as your body heals from surgery more weight-loss will happen.

Keep your spirits up and good luck!

I lost in my 1 week pre-op, and in the first week post-op, and then stalled for 2 weeks. I spoke to my doctor to try and figure out what was going wrong. Turns out that I was getting too much Protein through high calorie shakes, and not enough Water. I am now between 60-70 grams of Protein and 75oz of Water each day. As soon as I made those changes, I dropped 3 lbs right away, and another 5 after that. Making those minor changes jump started everything. Water is the most important part. It facilitates all kinds of vital functions in the body. Use Crystal Light, sugar free popsicles, whatever it takes to get those Fluid in!

That is about what I lost month one and it feels so slow considering I dropped over 30 in my two week pre-op. I am just 6 weeks post now and things are starting to drop again but I am so nervous about even recording the drops. I keep telling myself that just keep doing what you are suppose to be doing and allow your body to adjust as it needs to. It is hard to see posts about giant drops when you are working just as hard for even little ones, so some days I just skip those posts so I don't try to compare

Thanks everyone..

This is great advice! I'm going to increase my Fluid intake, I just have to keep trying to find something I can tolerate. I know my Protein is probably low also... My Dr. Discontinues Protein shakes after week 2 .. ( I couldn't stand the taste anyway) but I can't eat that much protein, makes my pouch hurt, hard to digest.

I see the Dr. on Monday, will ask about protein.

Does anyone know of a pleasant tasting Protein shake ? I can't stand the ones that taste like vitamins!

5 hours ago, James Marusek said:

The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

Weight loss is achieved after surgery through meal volume control. You begin at 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal and gradually over the next year and a half increase the volume to 1 cup per meal. With this minuscule amount of food, it is next to impossible to meet your Protein daily requirements by food alone, so therefore you need to rely on supplements such as Protein  shakes.

Be willing to experiment. After surgery, my taste buds changed dramatically. Even Water changed. In the hospital it tasted excessively chlorinated and I could not drink it. So I experimented. sugar free popsicles became my best friend. Some individuals find hot or cold can help with fluids. For me, I found that I could tolerate flavored water. So I began using Crystal Light. I also found a new drink Bai which I liked cold. In the winter, I found that I tolerate Hot  drinks such as piping hot cocoa. But you have to use the "No Sugar Added" variety. Also fine English teas were very good.

Thanks!! I like to know the science behind the answer... ?

On 2/19/2017 at 9:22 AM, healthyliving23 said:

Try Core Power Protein shakes. They are already and can be pricey but they taste the best! It's all I can drink. Hope you find someemoji4.png

Thanks.. I'll try to find it... ☺

I was never able to get my Water intake enough until 1 year post op. I sipped water throughout the day and had Protein Shakes on ice. Make sure you're walking daily. The Weight will come off. But don't look at the speed it comes off....the numbers start to add up and then 4 months later you will be down 50 pounds. J