Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair Loss

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this site and have not yet had my surgery. I am about a month out and have a question on the whole Hair loss thing. How much did you actually lose and how long did it last? Also, I am 5'10" and 330 lbs right now. I am hoping my skin mostly gets back in to shape after surgery. Has anyone had success with not requiring plastic surgery after the fact? Thanks! I am looking forward to my weight loss.

I'm just over a month post surgery and I haven't had any issues with hair loss. I am making sure I keep up on my Protein and my dietician says that's important to help control thinning of hair.

I have heard of some people using Biotin but I have no idea if it works as a supplement for that or not. I was similar in size as you 5'9" 321 on day of surgery. I have lost 40 pounds in total and 20 since surgery and I am not detecting to much skin sag, but I have a long way to go and I suspect that may depend on your age and your genetics. Elastic skin is a blessing some people just have.

I haven't noticed any loss, thank goodness. I think staying on top of your Vitamins and Protein goals helps.

As far as the skin, I definitely will need surgery down the line

Sent from my Nexus 6P using the BariatricPal App

Thanks Jackson. I am 44 Y.O. I'm hoping for the best. I lost 60 lbs 2 years ago on my own and didn't have any sag. I'm hoping that is a continuing trend.

Hi, even with mondo amounts of Protein my bushy head of great hair fell out in large amounts from 4 to 7 months. I just gave myself a buzz cut. It grew back, although a little thinner but still quite the silver mane.

I have some sags but overall not bad. My wife of decades does not care, why should I? No more surgery for me! I do have more neck wattle turkey neck than I want, but just grew my beard longer...

Honestly the hair loss or thinning is something that mostly happen to women from the WLS and not men. Most of us men tend to experience Hair growth, especially body hair growth due to hormone changes in our body and the release of stored up testosterone from the fat cells as we are burning off the fat. I went from being someone with very little body hair and not really great at having full on facial hair to now having chest hair and a more fuller looking beard. Also no loss of head hair at all and it too grows a bit thicker then it did before I had the surgery and lost the weight.

I am 3 1/2 years post-op RNY gastric bypass surgery and I did not experience any hair loss. But some people lose some hair and then when they transition into the maintenance phase grow it back again. It is important to ensure you meet your daily Protein requirements because this can lead to Hair loss.

Age is pretty much the biggest factor with skin sagging, the young bounce back better, i went from 408 to 170 at age 44 sag is bad, but no way ill ever afgord surgery so, oh well im still happy as shit