Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did any of you get minimal or no hair shedding/loss?

Just now, Greensleevie said:

Fair enough.

I'm just trying to help people understand that even though these things may happen, the benefits of the surgery far outweigh the loss of hair and loose skin. hair grows back. No big deal. My hair is back to previous surgery thickness, and I lost about 30% of it. But I would gladly lose it again, because losing a bit of hair is a small price to pay to have my life back.

Cool. Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it! <3

I had Hair loss approx 1 year post-op. I started taking Biotin and still do. I also stop doing a lot to my hair in terms of pulling, tying up - you know tension styles. Then I stopped worrying about it because it was a small price to pay for health. I still see some loss but not as much as before.

I didn't lose any hair at all. But I look like a shar pei under my clothes. It's all genetics and luck of the draw.

If I had gone completely bald, I'd still do the surgery again.

Most people lose hair after WLS. There is absolutely nothing you can do to prevent it. Fact.
Most people who are 100+ pounds overweight have some loose skin when they lose it. Some can be minimized with exercise, some only surgery will correct. Fact.

Denying it doesn't mean it's not going to happen to you.
I'm 3 years post op, and have seen 100's of posts on WLS boards and been involved with several WLS groups and have gone to conventions and meet and greets and am very involved in the WLS community.
But please, keep telling me you know more than I do, newbie.

Why in the world are you acting like that? She's asking a question because she wants to know. That is the purpose of this. To help each other out. Your "numbers" seems extreme so it was questioned. You need to chill

3 hours ago, achappex3 said:

Why in the world are you acting like that? She's asking a question because she wants to know. That is the purpose of this. To help each other out. Your "numbers" seems extreme so it was questioned. You need to chill

Because she acted indignant when I informed her that most people do lose hair.

Why don't you chill. If you took time to read my later post, you'de see I did chill. So stop trying to start something.

There's too many know it all newbs on this forum who don't bother to listen to the people who have been there and have much more knowledge than they do. I just get tired of it.

Edited by Greensleevie

1 minute ago, Greensleevie said:

Why don't you chill. If you took time to read my later post, you'de see I did chill. So stop trying to start something.

I'm sorry but I acted indignant? But in the next line, you said that you found some chill? Not hardly.

As I mentioned before, I simply asked the forum a question, and you answered extremely 'matter of fact-ly,' when the truth is, your stats were incorrect. Alternative facts, if you will.

Your INITIAL response was completely out of pocket, but I'm thankful that someone else saw how smug it was so I wouldn't be led to believe that I'm imagining things.

I hope you have a great weekend.

3 minutes ago, Greensleevie said:

There's too many know it all newbs on this forum who don't bother to listen to the people who have been there and have much more knowledge than they do. I just get tired of it.

Are you actually tired of people being "know it alls" or are you "tired" of the fact that people don't simply take what you say as fact and roll with it?

This is a FORUM, not a dictatorship. You don't get the privilege of answering people in a rude way and not having other people question why.

If someone is on the forum asking a question or reaching out to other forum members for their own experiences, it's literally because they don't have the answers and want to see if anyone else does.

I'm not one who acts as though I know everything, especially in an extremely new arena such as this. But what you stated about loose skin and hair loss wasn't everyone's case. And as I said before, I am NOT denying that people don't experience shedding. But I specifically discussed being a Black woman with natural hair and wanted to find out what other people's experiences were...whether minimal, tons, or none at all. Nothing wrong with that.

1 minute ago, bodyxo said:

I'm sorry but I acted indignant? But in the next line, you said that you found some chill? Not hardly.

As I mentioned before, I simply asked the forum a question, and you answered extremely 'matter of fact-ly,' when the truth is, your stats were incorrect. Alternative facts, if you will.

Your INITIAL response was completely out of pocket, but I'm thankful that someone else saw how smug it was so I wouldn't be led to believe that I'm imagining things.

I hope you have a great weekend.

What, so it's not true that most people lose hair? You took offense to my 99% number. In the literally HUNDREDS OF people I've known who have had WLS, I've known TWO who have said they haven't lost any hair. Two.

Now I'm no statistician, but I would say those stats are pretty close to my experience. If you're wanting hard facts, nothing is stopping you from googling. I also do know there isn't a lot you can do to stop it, either. I answered your question, didn't I?

And you can skip your passive aggressive responses. I'm done here.

Just now, Greensleevie said:

What, so it's not true that most people lose hair? You took offense to my 99% number. In the literally HUNDREDS OF people I've known who have had WLS, I've known TWO who have said they haven't lost any hair. Two.

Now I'm no statistician, but I would say those stats are pretty close to my experience. If you're wanting hard facts, nothing is stopping you from googling. I also do know there isn't a lot you can do to stop it, either. I answered your question, didn't I?

And you can skip your passive aggressive responses. I'm done here.

So you know millions of people who have had the sleeve and this is how you were able to draw your conclusion.

This still does not justify your stats, doll. And it's okay.

Move around. I want to continue the discussion with people who don't mind actually discussing it rather than offering alternative facts, but getting mad when folks don't take the answer and simply go.

Technically, everybody on this forum could Google to get their answers, but the forum is in place for support and getting your questions answered.

Thank you :)

Bam! [emoji23]

Before surgery I started taking Biotin for 6 months. I was like you and had zero Hair loss. At 4 weeks post op I started noticing a few strands coming out. Still taking Biotin to this day and still get a considerable amount of hair loss when showering and brushing. However, I have thick hair and it's made little difference in my overall appearance. I'm 7 weeks post op and have noticed my hair is thinner but not to a point I'm fretting or worried. There are thickening shampoos that people use to help with appearance. If you find that you are unhappy with the hair loss you can try that.
Good luck with your surgery!

I did read the rest of your post. Regardless you seem very rude. You could've answered much more respectful and not have treated her like she's a child. The "Newbie" comment for example was beyond uncalled for. But anyways, I don't stand for being rude/mean for no reason.

You have a great day!

I am 9 months out from being sleeved and I did experience Hair loss starting at about 4 or 5 months out. My hairdresser (who is also my cousin) had warned me that it is quite common to lose hair after any surgery and suggested I start taking Biotin right away. I have a hard tme with Vitamins that you have to swallow so I didn't follow her advice very well. About the time I started losing my hair I started taking a chewable vitimin that included biotin. I am pretty much back to normal shedding now. I also have tried to keep my protien levels up since I have heard that helps. As for loose skin, I loved the comment about looking like a shar pei under their clothes. I can totally relate. But I am older so loose skin I can deal with and maybe when I get to my goal I will have that fixed. I certainly would do this over again because the benefits far outweigh the other.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App