Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I feel I could get so much more intake of fluids with the help of a straw. Has the use of one actually hindered anyone's weight loss? Or caused complications?

I was told never to use a straw because of air intake in your pouch, I know if I drink too much, gulp I will really get air. Did they tell u it was ok to use a straw??

I did not get the official approval to use a straw, but why do done surgeons allow it and others don't? Isn't it just as easy to not swallow that first sip of air? I wonder if actual clinical studies have been done on this?

I wonder too, didn't ask just accepted. I do know it has to do about air.. I'm going to email them tomorrow & ask! How r u doing overall

Just found on google

Also, avoid carbonated beverages during the first six months or so after your surgery. Carbonation does not stretch out your stomach, but it can cause gas that may be painful. Avoid the use of straws. With a straw, you can drink large amounts of Fluid without realizing it and overfill your stomach pouch.

I'd love to hear what you find out. I think what brought it to mind was the lady from Bariatric Eating. Com who uses a straw and had said her surgeon is ok with it because it facilitates Water intake. I'm doing wonderfully, since I started my journey with kaiser in June till now I have lost over 80 lbs. It was difficult to restructure my life not to be centered around food. But I feel really good! How about you, how are you doing?

I had my bypass 11/28 it took a 6+ weeks before I felt somewhat normal. Doing well now I do gym 3 times week & physical therapy 2 week. I've lost 41lbs, 35 to go to meet goal. It's slot harder than I thought it would be

Just found this

The reason we aren’t allowed to use straws or chew gum (I don’t know about you, but I was big on BOTH), is that it causes air to enter our pouch. Doesn’t seem detrimental… until you get the teeniest, most painful air bubbles in your pouch & have to wait for them to either come up or work their way down & out.Another reason is that the air takes up space in our pouch which we could be filling with Protein, but we feel full, so we don’t get that extra bit of protein.Even if your straw is in your cup & you have plenty of liquid as well, when you draw on that straw, before the liquid makes its way into your mouth, you’d think there’s nothing in there, but that “nothing” is AIR. I’ve had my surgery (6 wks ago) & yes, I’ve cheated with a straw several times, usually while driving. Sometimes I get lucky, but it’s the times I suffered that air that has made me swear off my beloved straws FOR GOOD. That pain made me feel like a gassy, colicky baby. As for gum, once in a great while & ONLY to try & calm nausea & if a mint is not available… and I only chew it long enough to get the calming effect of the mint, then I just kind of tuck it between my cheek & gums.Carbonated drinks are also off limits for the same reason: air. (Yes, once in a while I’ll also self-torture & sneak a sip or two…but not via straws! LOL).I don’t understand why your doc didn’t explain all this, but I hope I was able to help.Best of luck on your surgery! And if they happen to send a straw on your trays – there was one on EVERY tray I got, despite the sign on the door