Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After surgery questions

For everyone that has had this surgery:

Have your cravings gone away?

Do you finally feel full? Bc right now when I eat something 20 mins later I feel hungry again.

How about medicines? Like if you have a cold can you take antibiotics? How about allergy pills?

Has anyone gained back all the weight that you lost?

I'm 14 months post op. Cravings haven't gone away, but I have learned to control them. I still eat the foods I love and crave but far less often and in much smaller amounts. I do feel full, and I do still feel hungry. If I ate somewhat recently I drink some Water and wait. I know some people had their hunger controlled from the surgery but I was hungry right away, it just takes much less for me to feel satisfied!

Head hunger is real. I can control it with drinking more Water or Protein. I am definitely not as "hungry" as I was preop and the cravings are much easier to control.

18 months out:

Yes, cravings have decreased (A LOT)

Yes, I do feel full when i eat clean and put Protein first

I am on antibiotics now and it's not an issue.

I have gained and lost the odd 2 pounds, here and there, which isn't an issue.

Kate

Hello! I am now 8 months post op! In answer to your questions:

1. My cravings have not gone away completely but I am able to control it better. If I want something sweet I eat it just in a MUCH smaller amount. As my nutritionist says, you really only taste it the first couple bites and then its just a bunch of calories after that. I'm fine with having a bite of a cupcake or what I normally do is get the mini squares of ghirardelli dark chocolate. They are only 36 calories a square and one mini square is all I need.

2. I do feel full. It's not the fullness I expected this far out. I felt much fuller right after surgery but that is to be expected since your stomach is so swollen. I have much less of the hungry 5 minutes after eating that I had before surgery. Now its more like 1 1/2-2 hours after I eat.

3. I take many medications (14 pills a day) for various medical issues. Right after surgery I had to space them out throughout the day so I could take them all. Now I can take them in a bunch in the morning and at night. As your stomach heals it will be easier to take pills. There are only a few pills you shouldn't take after surgery. Your surgeon will be able to tell you them. It's basically because some pills have an irritant in them that can cause stomach bleeding or ulcers.

4. I have had some complications after surgery and did not have a straight down slope. I am still down 226 pounds since I started and 160 pounds down since surgery. There are periods of stall and whenever I travel in a car for long periods or fly I retain Water like crazy and always seem to gain 10-14 pounds. >:( So annoying! But it's usually very temporary!

Do you finally feel full? Bc right now when I eat something 20 mins later I feel hungry again.

How about medicines? Like if you have a cold can you take antibiotics? How about allergy  pills?

I'm 3-days post op. My cravings have gone since I'm sore from surgery. I can barely stomach anything including Water right now. Yes, I feel full even after a sip of Water. My nurse & doctor said I can only

take Tylenol now. I hope I don't gain weight again. :)

Height 5'0"

Weight for WLS consultation: 216 lbs.

Surgery date: 2/13/17

Goal: - 71 lbs for healthy BMI (about 145 lbs).

My profile picture is not me. It's my "FitSpiration" body.

I'll be celebrating my one year surgery anniversary next week. Wasn't one of the lucky ones to not be hungry. I also still have cravings. BUT Water and being full help. If I'm craving something, a lot of times I'll eat 4 oz of lean lunch meat or a hard boiled egg. The craving usually goes away once I'm full. I also eat Mission Protein Bars - they come in several chocolatey flavors and it totally takes away my junk food craving.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'll be celebrating my one year surgery anniversary next week. Wasn't one of the lucky ones to not be hungry. I also still have cravings. BUT Water and being full help. If I'm craving something, a lot of times I'll eat 4 oz of lean lunch meat or a hard boiled egg. The craving usually goes away once I'm full. I also eat Mission Protein bars - they come in several chocolatey flavors and it totally takes away my junk food craving.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

How much have you lost?

I still eel hungry and get cravings. What I've learned is to shape my environment, there is nothing in my house to snack on, but that's easy because I live alone. Much harder is the constant stream of junk at the office.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I definitely get cravings. There are times I think I would fight a child for some french fries! But I try to.just focus on the goals ahead.

You have so many things in reach now. Are they worth a snack?

On 2/15/2017 at 10:47 AM, aking15 said:

How about medicines? Like if you have a cold can you take antibiotics? How about allergy pills?

I don't feel full. It feels like an over filled pipe in my chest there's no satisfaction from eating. I hate to eat.

I don't feel hungry at all. It's a miserable way to live.