Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Workout with no restrictions

I am six weeks post-op and have just been given the okay to work out with no restrictions with the stipulation of (don’t go crazy). At this time I am walking inside a mall around 3 to 4 times a week between a mile and ½ and 2 miles with no problems and it takes me anywhere from 35 to 45 minutes at a very leisurely pace. I have an elliptical that I couldn’t use up until now and I would also like to start some type of light weightlifting. I don’t want to go crazy and injure myself and slow my current progress, I’ve lost about 30 pounds and am currently 296 pounds. Any suggestions on how to work into a more well-rounded exercise program would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

I'm 18 months post op down 130. At 6 weeks postop I walked 30-60 mins daily it's the best exercise and at 4 months post op started light weights and trampoline or elliptical. I'd start on elliptical slowly for 20 mins and work up a couple of minutes a week to 30 mins and then do that daily 3-5 x a week add in some weights and you're set!

I suggest free weights. I walk about 2.5 miles four days a week. I want to introduce free weights next month. I heard that using machine weights will help build your core. Someone told me about Pilates or yoga for core or strength training. I have my doubts about that though. I want to burn calories and build strength.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using the BariatricPal App

I suggest free weights. I walk about 2.5 miles four days a week. I want to introduce free weights next month. I heard that using machine weights will help build your core. Someone told me about Pilates or yoga for core or strength training. I have my doubts about that though. I want to burn calories and build strength.

I don't know about Pilates, but if you try a couple of those yoga poses and hold them like they tell you too, you'll see what the hype is about.

I'm actually just dabbling in it myself (trying to get more range of motion), but it wears you out, lol.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using the BariatricPal App

34 minutes ago, Cinnahs said:

Pilates does work the core and is strengthening. it was my choice of core workout when I was younger. and you will burn calories. same as yoga. You'll have to try it.

13 hours ago, sjac said:

I am six weeks post-op and have just been given the okay to work out with no restrictions with the stipulation of (don’t go crazy). At this time I am walking inside a mall around 3 to 4 times a week between a mile and ½ and 2 miles with no problems and it takes me anywhere from 35 to 45 minutes at a very leisurely pace. I have an elliptical that I couldn’t use up until now and I would also like to start some type of light weightlifting. I don’t want to go crazy and injure myself and slow my current progress, I’ve lost about 30 pounds and am currently 296 pounds. Any suggestions on how to work into a more well-rounded exercise program would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Like @Cinnahs says, free weights to start. Carry some 3lb-ers or 5lbers while you walk...doing arm curls, etc. Or you can even do bodyweights for strength. I've mentioned an app to someone the other day that gets you started. I'll have to find it.

It's called bodyweight training.

I am on the return following plastics. I concur yoga ad Polaris are not for the weak. I saw my Hubbie gain huge respect within about 20 minutes!! He is a weight room rat. LOL. I keep 8 and 10 lbs hand weights at my desk, do squats and push ups, elliptical and yoga. Now after sitting on my new bum for seven weeks I am feeling like I am at square one. But I have started at square one before. LOL
Some help insurance programs offer coaches to check in with once a week. Best to you!