Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Things I Haven't Done In Years

On a Sunday afternoon 10 weeks ago the Harsh reality that I was Very Quickly heading for the Grave or a Nursing home hit me. My chest was aching, shortness of Breath, feeling of Doom and Despair running through my Brain. All of those poor food choices and lack of being active had finally caught up to me. I had been to a Seminar for the Surgery a month earlier and found out that even though I had insurance my plan had opted out of Bariatric Surgeries. I took the Blaring Hint and changed my eating habits thinking that until i could have the Surgery I would at least eat like I had already gone through with it. That Sunday shook me out of my Comfort Zone and put me in action within 3 days later the flight was booked and deposit was made.

Fast Forward 10 weeks and 73 pounds off I completed 3 basic tasks yesterday I hadn't done years.

1) I tied my shoes "Drum Roll Please" while they were on my feet!!!

2) I walked 2 miles Continuous

3) I comfortably cut my own toe nails (a gross thing to be Happy about I know) but honestly this alone is a Victory.

I would recommend to all those that don"t have the finances or are waiting for approval to start today working towards eating portions that you will be eating after Surgery. 7 days into a liquid diet I realize that my body was lying to me when it said I couldn't survive on liquids alone. I am now looking forward to many more Personal Victories.

11 minutes ago, 2-Liter said:

On a Sunday afternoon 10 weeks ago the Harsh reality that I was Very Quickly heading for the Grave or a Nursing home hit me. My chest was aching, shortness of Breath, feeling of Doom and Despair running through my Brain. All of those poor food choices and lack of being active had finally caught up to me. I had been to a Seminar for the Surgery a month earlier and found out that even though I had insurance my plan had opted out of Bariatric Surgeries. I took the Blaring Hint and changed my eating habits thinking that until i could have the Surgery I would at least eat like I had already gone through with it. That Sunday shook me out of my Comfort Zone and put me in action within 3 days later the flight was booked and deposit was made.

Fast Forward 10 weeks and 73 pounds off I completed 3 basic tasks yesterday I hadn't done years.

1) I tied my shoes "Drum Roll Please" while they were on my feet!!!

2) I walked 2 miles Continuous

3) I comfortably cut my own toe nails (a gross thing to be Happy about I know) but honestly this alone is a Victory.

I would recommend to all those that don"t have the finances or are waiting for approval to start today working towards eating portions that you will be eating after Surgery. 7 days into a liquid diet I realize that my body was lying to me when it said I couldn't survive on liquids alone. I am now looking forward to many more Personal Victories.

Aye!! Congratulations!! I feel you. I wasn't as big, but I know how but these 'small' victories matter. I kept telling myself that I was fit, cos I played soccer regularly. But it was pretty obvious. I couldn't run back and recover easily so I rarely strayed out of defense, and I kept getting injured every game. Recurrent back ache. After 20 mins of walking, my back always ached.
All the while I observed a friend losing weight and another one said "just ask so and so about his bariatric surgery". I asked the 'so and so' and he told me he was a bariatric patient, and that the surgery works. I did some inquiries, and luckily, my insurance covered it. I have now lost more weight after surgery than i did before.; Nearing the 100lbs weight lost every week.

Your closing advice is Tops!!! I modified my pre-op instruction diet when I was told to lose 10lbs. Swapped 2 meals with liquid, eliminated Snacks, and stuck to post op portions. Ended up losing 40 in about 3 months.

Edited by Middus

Congratulations to both of you guys!

Way to lose the weight and best wishes on continuing on in your weight loss journey!

Ah yes, the wonderful 'cutting my own toenails' feeling. I remember it well.

I loved the first time i flew and didnt need a seat belt extender. No going through the stick thin beautifully presented air hostess shouting, "seat ** needs an extender". The seat of shame!!

Congratulations to both of you!!

Congrats to you 2-liter for your victories.... there will be soooo many more to come. My suggestions: take pictures of yourself or have someone do it for you. very important!!!

take pictures of you scale once a month to keep track of my weight loss. set small goals and large ones..... and reward yourself for them.... NO food REWARDS... Stuff I treated myself to mani's and Pedi's.... and YES men should get Pedi's... New belts, new shoes, new shirt... etc.

I also, tracked my progress on my bathroom mirror. I wrote with dry erase markers my stats ... example: surgery date, weight on surg. day, arm size, chest size... etc... and only erased the change... kept the start. I also wrote encouraging words on the mirror too...

Good luck..... Chris

AWESOMENESS RIGHT THERE!!! Way to take CONTROL!! Both of you are making it a daily life change and believe me that is what helps you to be successful!! I myself had the RNY July 2, 2013. I have maintained my weight of 125#'s for 3 years. I lost 132#'s but did finally gain 8#'s back which was a good thing for me because I looked sick. It isn't the surgery that finishes the journey it is the tool to get us where we need to be!! Good Luck and KEEP ON KEEPING ON!!!

5 hours ago, _Kate_ said:

Ah yes, the wonderful 'cutting my own toenails' feeling. I remember it well.

I loved the first time i flew and didnt need a seat belt extender. No going through the stick thin beautifully presented air hostess shouting, "seat ** needs an extender". The seat of shame!!

Congratulations to both of you!!

AMEN!!!