Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New To This Site Vegan Considering Gastric Sleeve

19 minutes ago, Iona said:

I'm vegetarian and dairy free, and I'm looking to get sleeved this summer. I have a friend who's been vegetarian for her whole life and was sleeved 4 years ago, she's healthy as a horse and has kept off 130lbs. It's definitely possible, so do your research and good luck!

Also, I sympathise about the whole "easy way out" perception. I'm 100 pounds overweight, but my friends say I'm "not that big" and I have to defend my decision with the myriad of health benefits it offers. Don't let other people's perceptions keep you from doing what you think is best, but data can help quiet them down. ;)

Sent from my SM-G920P using BariatricPal mobile app

Yes, lots of research is definitely the key and it's so encouraging to hear that this definitely can be done vegetarian or vegan. I also get that "not that big" statement because I'm considered "thick" and I'm tall and curvy.

What people don't understand is no matter how "not that big" they think you are they'll never know or understand how you feel in your own skin. When you can't fit something at home or in the store, or when you feel tired because your body has to work hard to carry fat. Like in my case I'm a vegan and I excerise and I'm over 250 so I'm making a decision that natural or surgery a change has to happen.

On 2/12/2017 at 1:07 PM, Berry78 said:

A good surgeon to look at is Matthew Weiner. He is in Michigan, and has a bunch of youtube videos. If any surgeon is gonna be pro-vegan, it would probably be him. And if he isn't, then it is worthwhile to find out why.

Good luck!

Also Garth Davis from the Davis Clinic in Houston Texas is a vegan bariatric surgeon. He has a book called Proteinaholic that I've found very helpful and plan to use his advice post-op, when I have more freedom to eat my own way (more carbs because well.. vegetables)

I'm vegan and pre-op. I don't struggle at all to get 60-80g of Protein daily, so I wouldn't worry about that. That's my surgeon's recommendation, and while I haven't had my meeting with the dietician yet, I've heard that when she found out I was vegan she started researching vegan Protein powders. There are a lot of good choices out there. So far, my favorites are the Orgain plant-based protein powders and the PlantFusion Cookies & Cream.

Edit: But, while protein is important, remember that other things are too (like fiber). And my friends post-op have suggested Beans will be super useful post-op, especially in the pureed stage.

Edited by hellosweeetie

Hi! I'm three weeks post op from RNY and I've been vegan for 13 years. I've had no issues getting Protein or any other nutrient, and my dietician has been great. My surgeon actually said being vegan is the number one thing we can do to extend our lives but most people will never do it. Good thing we are! I had two weeks of protein supplement but now I'm on normal cooked foods and doing fine.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 6:33 AM, hellosweeetie said:

Also Garth Davis from the Davis Clinic in Houston Texas is a vegan bariatric surgeon. He has a book called Proteinaholic that I've found very helpful and plan to use his advice post-op, when I have more freedom to eat my own way (more carbs because well.. vegetables)

I'm vegan and pre-op. I don't struggle at all to get 60-80g of Protein daily, so I wouldn't worry about that. That's my surgeon's recommendation, and while I haven't had my meeting with the dietician yet, I've heard that when she found out I was vegan she started researching vegan Protein powders. There are a lot of good choices out there. So far, my favorites are the Orgain plant-based protein powders and the PlantFusion Cookies & Cream.

Edit: But, while protein is important, remember that other things are too (like fiber). And my friends post-op have suggested Beans will be super useful post-op, especially in the pureed stage.

Thank you for your response I've been looking into different surgeons especially those that specialize in vegan lifestyles. It's just really great to hear from people who are vegan w/ wls that are not struggling. When I first went vegan I started slowing losing weight and then it stopped. I figured if I just work out more and continue to eat healthy the weight will fall off but 3 years later I'm still trying to shed the unwanted fat.

So the first time I spoke with a nurse I was to not have the surgery while vegan blah blah blah. I continued to inquire and that's when I began to find out that it was possible to have wls, be vegan, and healthy.

48 minutes ago, fruitandveggies said:

Hi! I'm three weeks post op from RNY and I've been vegan for 13 years. I've had no issues getting Protein or any other nutrient, and my dietician has been great. My surgeon actually said being vegan is the number one thing we can do to extend our lives but most people will never do it. Good thing we are! I had two weeks of Protein supplement but now I'm on normal cooked foods and doing fine.

Wow, that is so great to hear that you're a vegan for 13 years, this will be year 3 for me and I enjoy being vegan it's just that slimming down has been an issue for me no matter how much I work out.

Yes I agree with your surgeon concerning veganism being a great lifestyle choice. In spite of all of my weight issues I am in excellent health (per my labs and blood work) and I feel being vegan is the best dietary decision I've ever made.

Do you mind sharing with me what was your determining factor (breaking point) when you made the decision to have your surgery?

I ask this because I previously had an issue with "yo yo ing" then I managed to lose over 90lbs naturally. I kept the weight off for over 5 years and in 2006 I began to gain again so I thought if I just work out I could lose the fat again.

Well it's 10 years later and I'm almost at the weight that I was before I lost the previous 90lbs. I've been researching wls for over a year now and my current mental battle is do I really want to select such an serious option or should I just continue on my natural weight loss journey.

On the flip side I feel as if because I've been in this situation for sooo long and took the time to research I already have my answer.

22 minutes ago, NEWLIFEFREEDOM said:

Wow, that is so great to hear that you're a vegan for 13 years, this will be year 3 for me and I enjoy being vegan it's just that slimming down has been an issue for me no matter how much I work out.

Yes I agree with your surgeon concerning veganism being a great lifestyle choice. In spite of all of my weight issues I am in excellent health (per my labs and blood work) and I feel being vegan is the best dietary decision I've ever made.

Do you mind sharing with me what was your determining factor (breaking point) when you made the decision to have your surgery?

I ask this because I previously had an issue with "yo yo ing" then I managed to lose over 90lbs naturally. I kept the weight off for over 5 years and in 2006 I began to gain again so I thought if I just work out I could lose the fat again.

Well it's 10 years later and I'm almost at the weight that I was before I lost the previous 90lbs. I've been researching wls for over a year now and my current mental battle is do I really want to select such an serious option or should I just continue on my natural weight loss journey.

On the flip side I feel as if because I've been in this situation for sooo long and took the time to research I already have my answer.

Awesome! By three years it's really just a part of you, so this won't be much of a struggle (I mean, more than any one else has). And I agree, my husband and I have no health problems and look years younger than our age--I attribute it to the veganism!

So why I finally chose to do the surgery. I have a very long history of weight problems, since I was about seven years old. Both of my parents have had weight problems (my mom did RNY in 2014), so I was down that road really early. Around 2002, I decided I wanted to lose weight (I was about 260 at the time), and I was very successful--I lost 120 pounds! I kept it off for a few years, but due to a traumatic event, I allowed myself to gain back everything and more. I got up to 280.

A few years later, I gave it another go with Weight Watchers. I love WW and I love to exercise. I lost 90 pounds. But once again, I let stress get in my way and gained it all back, plus more this time! I was diagnosed with binge eating disorder and basically just gave up. I kept working out because I love it, but I was just so out of hope of really keeping weight off.

One day, my hubby and I had a big, deep conversation. I realized that not only would this weight make me very sick eventually (my parents have many health problems), but I couldn't have kids safely. It was seriously affecting our relationship, and of course I just hated how I looked and felt. I started to actually have "fat people problems" which I never had before (problems putting on shoes, airplane seats, etc.). I was stuck so long with the stigma that surgery is the easy way out that I was wasting my life.

I realized that I didn't care what other people thought about how I lost weight anymore. I wanted the years of my life that were slipping away. This is still work, but at least at the end I know I will succeed.

If you think you have your answer already--then you do! If you decide to go through with it, I'd be happy to share any tips from my journey (albeit only a few weeks so far!).

47 minutes ago, fruitandveggies said:

Awesome! By three years it's really just a part of you, so this won't be much of a struggle (I mean, more than any one else has). And I agree, my husband and I have no health problems and look years younger than our age--I attribute it to the veganism!

So why I finally chose to do the surgery. I have a very long history of weight problems, since I was about seven years old. Both of my parents have had weight problems (my mom did RNY in 2014), so I was down that road really early. Around 2002, I decided I wanted to lose weight (I was about 260 at the time), and I was very successful--I lost 120 pounds! I kept it off for a few years, but due to a traumatic event, I allowed myself to gain back everything and more. I got up to 280.

A few years later, I gave it another go with Weight Watchers. I love WW and I love to exercise. I lost 90 pounds. But once again, I let stress get in my way and gained it all back, plus more this time! I was diagnosed with binge eating disorder and basically just gave up. I kept working out because I love it, but I was just so out of hope of really keeping weight off.

One day, my hubby and I had a big, deep conversation. I realized that not only would this weight make me very sick eventually (my parents have many health problems), but I couldn't have kids safely. It was seriously affecting our relationship, and of course I just hated how I looked and felt. I started to actually have "fat people problems" which I never had before (problems putting on shoes, airplane seats, etc.). I was stuck so long with the stigma that surgery is the easy way out that I was wasting my life.

I realized that I didn't care what other people thought about how I lost weight anymore. I wanted the years of my life that were slipping away. This is still work, but at least at the end I know I will succeed.

If you think you have your answer already--then you do! If you decide to go through with it, I'd be happy to share any tips from my journey (albeit only a few weeks so far!).

Thanks for sharing it provides great insight. Yeah I feel as if I made my decision but I also feel as if I just want to be sure. I basically want to be able to look back and say I know that I've done all that I was able to do concerning natural methods before I go in for a surgery date.

I've been graced and blessed not to have the "fat people problems" concerning traveling and tying my shoes. Yet I'm very mindful because I already know what it feels like not to be able to shop where you want and fit into the clothes in your own closet.

I've also taken that into consideration too concerning being healthy-just because I'm healthy now doesn't mean that it will remain that way if I don't make a major change. So where I am right now is reviewing all options and counting the cost for every option I take and even the ones that I don't.

While I am not vegan, i do have crazy food allergies that has made it difficult post op. (I was sleeved on 2/8/17)

I am highly allergic to cow's milk, whey, yeast, and a few others. These allergies have made it difficult because I can't eat cottage cheese, cheeses, puddings, traditional yogurts, hummus, etc. So while I am not officially vegan, I am eating like one due to allergies and where i am at in my healing.

And frankly, I am struggling a bit to get in my Protein. I drink Vega shakes twice a day. (40 grams there) I eat eggs, and have eaten Almond Milk yogurts (tough because there is only max 5g Protein in a 6 oz cup). I've even mixed some Protein powder into my Tomato basil Soup. (which was a bit weird because of the vanilla taste)

While I enjoy my Vega, Orgain, and PlantFusion Vegan shakes, I don't necessarily want to drink one every day for the rest of my life. However, it may be a reality because I can't eat/drink all the protein waters, bars, wafers, Snacks, etc that are out there for quick protein.

My one word of advice, is plan the foods you can/will eat at each stage of recovery (Clear liquids, full liquids, puree, etc). I didn't. I thought it would be pretty easy to incorporate what I'm already doing. But it's really not.

Edited by GreenEyedGal

Hi
I'm just curious as to why you would self pay if you have 100 pounds to lose ? My Bmi is just at 40. I have gained and lost over the last ten years and had bmi from 32 to 38. After I broke my ankle last year it soared to 40 which is why I decided enough Is enough . I have no co morbidities and my blood pressure is oerfect . I just can't lose weight . I have two insurance companies and both approved based on bmi alone. It didn't take long . If you can go the insurance route I would try that first .

2 hours ago, GreenEyedGal said:

While I am not vegan, i do have crazy food allergies that has made it difficult post op. (I was sleeved on 2/8/17)

I am highly allergic to cow's milk, whey, yeast, and a few others. These allergies have made it difficult because I can't eat cottage cheese, cheeses, puddings, traditional yogurts, hummus, etc. So while I am not officially vegan, I am eating like one due to allergies and where i am at in my healing.

And frankly, I am struggling a bit to get in my Protein. I drink Vega shakes twice a day. (40 grams there) I eat eggs, and have eaten Almond Milk yogurts (tough because there is only max 5g Protein in a 6 oz cup). I've even mixed some Protein  powder into my Tomato basil Soup. (which was a bit weird because of the vanilla taste)

While I enjoy my Vega, Orgain, and PlantFusion Vegan shakes, I don't necessarily want to drink one every day for the rest of my life. However, it may be a reality because I can't eat/drink all the protein waters, bars, wafers, Snacks, etc that are out there for quick protein.

My one word of advice, is plan the foods you can/will eat at each stage of recovery (Clear  liquids, full liquids, puree, etc). I didn't. I thought it would be pretty easy to incorporate what I'm already doing. But it's really not.

Thanks for the response yeah my leap into veganism was due to my dairy allergy. I also think I had a genuine desire, being vegan works for me so I continued with it and now March 29th my 3year veganversary.

I've tried Vega and I do like it but I get the----I still need to eat some food feeling when I drink it. So I don't buy it often but I am thinking about trying it again so I can play with it maybe even thicken it up so I can use it as a Meal Replacement.

1 hour ago, sally628 said:

Hi
I'm just curious as to why you would self pay if you have 100 pounds to lose ? My Bmi is just at 40. I have gained and lost over the last ten years and had bmi from 32 to 38. After I broke my ankle last year it soared to 40 which is why I decided enough Is enough . I have no co morbidities and my blood pressure is oerfect . I just can't lose weight . I have two insurance companies and both approved based on bmi alone. It didn't take long . If you can go the insurance route I would try that first .

Hi, I guess you kind of lost me with the question concerning the 100lbs.

My weight has fluctuated for years, I was almost 300lbs I managed to shed over 90lbs I kept it off for over 5years. Unfortunately I gained over half back and my weight has been slowly moving up in about 10 years I've released 16 & gained roughly 23 (I desire to be a healthy lean weight).

So that in addition to other factors is why I began researching wls because I got to the point where I decided to consider other weight loss options. I'm considering all options concerning payment yet you have to remember this key thing "He Who Has The Gold Makes The Rules".

When you contact the insurance company they have a list of requirements in addition to a set time frame that you have to comply with their directions and still wait-basically the run around.

When you have cash you contact the surgeon have your consultation, come to a conclusion, get labs, next surgery date available is yours, and then it's a done deal. With cash the entire process is roughly about 2 weeks. With the insurance company the entire process can be 4-6 months sometimes longer if you're denied and choose to appeal.

My doc is standing by whatever decision I make yet because I'm considered healthy & strong it's preferred that I continue the natural route. Docs and insurance companies look at much more than BMI (which is one of many factors). In addition every potential patient has a different situation which is also a factor, so right now I have a variety of options and some I'm leaning towards more than others.