Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Osteoperosis as complication from RNY

Hi All,

I am trying to decide whether to have the RNY gastric bypass. My PCP is against it citing that she has 6 patients who she treats and who've had major complications from the surgery, including osteroperosis. Has anyone had this complication or know of anyone who has?

I know a few people who have had the RNY and only one has complications and the others don't. The difference I have noticed between them is the one who has complications doesn't follow dr orders. No Vitamin, drinking alcohol etc.. if I were you I would go get a second opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thanks so much. I am strongly leaning towards having it (obese, high blood pressure, GERD [hiatal hernia], high cholesterol, pre-diabetese). I believe I will get a third opinion. The surgeon thinks this is the way I should go. The PCP thinks surgeons just want to cut. :-)

I had all of the things you mentioned, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes on insulin, gout and I was able to stop all my meds immediately after surgery. I had diabetes for 10 years. In my opinion the surgery was completely worth it. I am 9 months out and do follow directions. I can see where things could go wrong if you don't eat right or take Vitamins. I have been taking all mine and my blood test are all within normal. Before surgery I also had high liver enzymes and that is reversed too.

Sent from my XT1254 using the BariatricPal App

I had high cholesterol, sleep apnea and bad heartburn issues due to a sliding hiatal hernia. The Dr wanted to do a RNY, I was very hesitant due to a fear of malabsorption issues. Decided to take the risk and go for gastric sleeve instead (if my heartburn issues got worse, I could then have the RNY if I had to). Had the sleeve and the hernia repair at the same time. I have been very lucky during the recovery, no major issues, relatively painless, I'm at 5 months out and no heartburn in the last 4 months :-). Sleep Apnea is gone, cholesterol has improved but I still take Lipitor (lowest dose possible though)

Sent from my SM-G900FD using BariatricPal mobile app

A good surgeon and nutritionist will monitor your recommend Vitamin supplements and monitor your blood labs. They have adjusted my Vitamins at 2 months and six months. My next labs are at one year. Just stay on top of your follow up with regular check ups. It doesn't stop after surgery. A good plan is followed up for a year.

Sent from my SM-N910T using BariatricPal mobile app

hí. í'm 3 dαчѕ ín αnd í'm cσnfuѕєd whαt'ѕ rnч? thαnkѕ ín αdvαncє

Sent from my iPhone using BariatricPal

RNY is the most common type of gastric bypass. Google it for details.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

Thank you for your comments - especially those of you who HAD the same health issues that I currently HAVE. I really appreciate you sharing your own experience. It has helped me along in my decision-making.